Sargent Seat with Sargent backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy

Reaction score
Have any of you been using this combination? If so how do you like it? Does the backrest feel secure and stable? I want to order the Sargent seat as everyone seems happy with theirs. Any recommendations regarding the Griptex vs Carbon FX.

Thanks for your response,

Willy

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you been using this combination? If so how do you like it? Does the backrest feel secure and stable? I want to order the Sargent seat as everyone seems happy with theirs. Any recommendations regarding the Griptex vs Carbon FX.
Thanks for your response,

Willy

The rear passenger seat is not out yet. With that said, you will save $50 if you go to their website and pre-register for the rear seat when it comes out. The front seat is currently available. I have the carbon fx fabric and it looks new like the day I got it. I haven't noticed boot marks affecting the fabric at all. My 2 cents.

Any recommendations regarding the Griptex vs Carbon FX.
When I received Sargent's carbonFX (CFX) front seat for my '06, there was a warning notice attached:

"Some seat fabrics, especially CarbonFX, can be sensitive to marking or scuffing. Care should be taken when getting on or off the bike to avoid contact with riding shoes or boots."

This concerned me and I emailed Sargent to inquire as to the suitability of this material in light of the probability that a boot would come in contact with the seat at some point in the future. Here's their reply:

"The warning is simply intended to caution the customer of the possibility of damage that is easily avoided with care. This is especially important in the 30-day return period. Just as most other fabrics on products like leather jackets, riding boots, etc. can be permanently scuffed by impacts, care should be taken with any seat fabric, weather it be stock or aftermarket, to reduce the possibility of permanent superficial damage.

Like many fabrics, CarbonFX (CFX) can sustain permanent damage by boot scuffing. In fact, our Custom Seat Services Division is well aware of this, as they see hundreds of seats per month from all types of bikes including OEM, aftermarket, old, and new seats, where permanent damage has resulted from shoe scuffing.

One material that does seem to resist scuffing better than most (or at least conceal it better) is Griptex, most likely due to its extremely heavy texture and slightly harder surface. But Griptex has fallen out of favor in the past few years for the more desirable, and in many ways, more durable CFX. Consequently, CFX has become the material of choice accounting for around 90 percent of our seat applications these days. While CFX may sustain superficial scuffing damage more easily than Griptex, we believe that it makes up that short-coming in long-term durability and lower maintenance, not to mention its visual appeal."

Running that set up on my '05 -- Carbon FX with blue piping. GF LOVES the backrest -- much more comfortable to her than when we are running with the Yamaha top box (which has the Yamaha back rest pad attached to it).

j,

I'm running the Sargent on my '04, but use the Yamaha top box for back rest. Love the seat, lots of comfy miles. I love the extra storage built into the bottom of both seats; I have my air compressor/tire kit in the tube, and zipties/bungee cords in the other.

-wr

I'm reviving an old thread. My new to me 05 FJR has the Sargeant seat and back rest.

Is it possible to attach a mounting rack and top case to the FJR with this seat and backrest?

I'm reviving an old thread. My new to me 05 FJR has the Sargeant seat and back rest.

Is it possible to attach a mounting rack and top case to the FJR with this seat and backrest?

I'd like the option to pop off the top box and run with a backrest. Anyone know if you have to remove the top box bracket to use the backrest?

Maybe I'll call Sargent and ask them if nobody replies here, then post up what they say about it.

I have a Shad topcase and the backrest will work with the rack on the bike, but not with the case. The wife uses the case when it's installed which is 99% of the time she rides with me. Gotta take her suitcase...I mean purse with her! I would imagine other brands of racks wouldn't interfere with using the backrest either. If you've got a topcase I'd advise just using it for a backrest and save the $$. You know she'll want to bring something along! I usually don't have the saddlebags on for short rides because I can't squeeze in between the cars in the garage with them on.