Scala Rider Intercom on Modular Helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdc

Reaction score
Is anyone using a modular helmet with a Scala Rider Intercom?

I am considering a new helmet and my concern is that the Scala may not fit very well with the 'movable chin'...

Any one with first hand experience?

I have had a Scala Q2 on my Scorpion EXO-900, and due to the design of the bottom lip of the helmet, I had to use the adhesive mount. On my HJC Symax II, I used the clamp mount. I now have a new G4 unit, and on the Scorpion, I used the adhesive mount.

The microphone is on a flexible shaft, and will fit up inside the chin. I place it just off center and press it forward against the chinbar area. No issues opening or closing. I don't think there is a good way to use the wired microphone type very practically, but you could in a normal full face.

I've never had helmet speakers I liked and that's one reason I went with the BT Chatterbox XBi2. I want to use ear plugs and the stock microphones (Scala & Chatterbox in both RF1000 and Arai Corsair) contacted my lips, which is aggravating. The modular helmets were even tighter to the chin bar for me.

With the Chatterbox, I've been using a JBuds headset with mic (J2M or J3M, forgot which). Unlike with Scala, I just had to plug in the different headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use the Scala Rider Teamset. Very happy with the product. I have a modular, and my wife wears a full face. When I take or make a phone call, folks can't tell I'm even on the bike... much less cruisin down a very busy highway! The noise cancellation is awesome. One irritation is the VOX-activated... sometimes the mics can be finicky, and you have to make a few loud noises to get it to kick on. Overall, the product is great. Speaker quality could be a LOT better, but they carry voice perfectly. They're not dynamic speakers enough, for music.

The Q2 is a good product for talking to other bikes. They've improved the current Q2, over the previous versions. More capable now.

Scala is going to offer the G4 very soon. That's what I'll be upgrading to. Can talk to several bikes at the same time, in conference-call style, where you hear each other. This is a big improvement over the other two previous systems, that only operated on 1 channel at a time. Also, the G4 will talk to several bikes, up to a mile.

Good luck in your decision.