Scala Rider Team Set Communication Device

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Reaction score
I had asked for advice before on rider to passenger communication devices, as my S.O. and I were planning her first extended ride. I received many useful opinions, but here is what I opted for and why (for those that are interested).

I needed nothing fancy and everything easy. I had literally no time for wiring and tank lifting. The only thing I needed was the ability for us to speak easily and clearly while on our trip.

The Scala Rider Team Set did just that. Perfect? No, but darn near. While either on the BRP or riding 80+ mph on the super slab, it worked just fine. A simple, easy to install and use wireless communication device. The re-chargable batteries lasted easily all day (never ran out on us) and simply plugged them in at night to get ready for the next days riding.

Mogambo - just bought the same set last week off E-Bay for $170 and I have to agree with you.

Not top of the line but for simple rider-to-passenger comm, along with Bluetooth to your cell phone, it works very well for the money.

I really like that it's wireless and uses rechargeable batteries so I am not hooked up to the bike like I'm on life support.

Only trouble I'm having with mine is the wife keeps talking to me all the time!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are happy with it. My wife and I have several thousand miles on ours now. Still going strong!

I have the set, too, and have succeeded in breaking one of the clamp plates. Yes, the wrench has a sticker warning against over-tightening, but it wasn't tight, yet; I could move the set around on the helmet. The other set was laready successfully mounted, and would not move with the same hand pressure.

Cardo does not offer the part by itself as a replacement, but will gladly sell me an entire headset for 25 or 30 bucks, I don't recall exactly. Told them no thanks, and told them I would make sure everybody knew this at every opportunity I had to say so.

Right up to that point I couldn't have been happier with the system. I'm going to try to epoxy a piece of sheet metal over the pieces to repair the clamp plate.

Shortly after my previous post ^^^^ I was contacted by Cardo via the forum and asked where they could send the part I needed. I have to say that while I still disagree with the single fragile part not being available as a replacement, the effort they went through to make me happier with it by looking me up and sending the part dramatically improves my outlook on them. I will not be so rude as to post the person's email address they contacted me through.

Many thanks, Cardo, and keep up the good work. Please consider your parts list, though, and think about putting that back plate up by itself.

Positives on the device: Incredible battery life. I ride daily, and I've only recharged it once since I bought it late June. It wasn't dead, then, either, I just felt better plugging it in. Sound is clear, and volume increase for ambient noise is automatic and an appropriate amount. At speed I have to raise the screen and duck behind it, but otherwise no problem hearing at all. Bike and road noise is not transmitted out at all, people at the other end of a phone call are astonished that I'm on the bike.

I put mine on last week and went for a ride with the SO. She likes them but the only thing is, sometimes it is difficult to get it to key up, I seem to have to yell a couple times to get it to key up on my voice. She can not get it to key up, maybee I will give Cardo a yell and see if I am doing anything wrong. BTW, they sent mine without the manual and registration card, easy fix on the web site though. I have also gotten the same response to callers when I am on the bike, talked to a family member at 80 the other day and she thought I was in my truck with the windows up. Excelent for the money spent.