scared away

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SURDR

Reaction score
well you have managed to change my mind about getting a FJR right now after reading the threads on it being top heavy, overweight and not a good slow speed bike. I put my money down on the new Triumph Tiger at 438lbs, maybe after I have ridden it for awhile I can "graduate" up to the FJR if I find the Tiger inadequate. It's still a sweet looking bike and you guys are obviously sold on it. I will keep my eye on them and maybe I'll be able to ride one someday, (another reason I can't see putting a deposit on one). Thanks for all the input on the FJR this is a very good forum with lots of informative people.

reading between the lines -- you will find all motorcyles top-heavy, slow, and heavy. good luck with the Tiger -- it is a good dual/drakar-style bike.

good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow speed handling is relative to experience and size. At 6'2" @270 lbs, I don't have the issues that someone 5'10" @150lbs might have.

Enjoy your Tiger. There will always be an FJR in your future if you so decide. The experience should be more about the riding than the motorcycle.

The only way my FJR is top heavy, Is when my fat ass is on it. :blink:

Good luck with the other bike... You will regret not getting this one.

Oh... I was a second place winner in the Slow Drags in my town... It is very stable going slow, IMO

I got beat by a Busa...lol

Slow speed handling is relative to experience and size. At 6'2" @270 lbs, I don't have the issues that someone 5'10" @150lbs might have.
Smiling to self! :rolleyes: Slow speed handling is a real challenge at 5'2". Let's not bring the lbs into it though!!

When funds allow, I'm looking to get something smaller and much lighter, to work on my slow speed skills. Probably something without a fairing, so if it falls down - never mind. Couldn't even THINK of parting with the FJR though, it's so sweet once it's moving. :D

Jill

From the reviews I've heard on the Tiger they were good. But the Tiger is also top heavy with a large fuel tank to boot. IMO the FJR would be a better choice and the Tiger coming in second as neither one is inexpensive if you are considering steeping up later. If you can test the Tiger and the FJR somehow, this would be the wise thing to do before buying. I know Triumph is not a problem getting a test ride and the Cycle World shows going on do have demo rides at select sites for the FJR right now. Depending on the amount of riding experience with the heavier type bikes can be a factor for some and the FJR is top heavy as some other bikes but not something that should turn one off of a buy . You just have to be aware in slow speed manuvers as mentioned earlier. It's really not that much of problem as one might think. The two bikes are worlds apart but similar in height/top weight issues with the FJR coming out on top with the WOW factor. PM. <>< :)

well you have managed to change my mind about getting a FJR right now after reading the threads on it being top heavy, overweight and not a good slow speed bike. I put my money down on the new Triumph Tiger at 438lbs, maybe after I have ridden it for awhile I can "graduate" up to the FJR if I find the Tiger inadequate. It's still a sweet looking bike and you guys are obviously sold on it. I will keep my eye on them and maybe I'll be able to ride one someday, (another reason I can't see putting a deposit on one). Thanks for all the input on the FJR this is a very good forum with lots of informative people.
Making mistakes like you just made builds character.

Smiling to self! :rolleyes: Slow speed handling is a real challenge at 5'2". Let's not bring the lbs into it though!!

When funds allow, I'm looking to get something smaller and much lighter, to work on my slow speed skills. Probably something without a fairing, so if it falls down - never mind. Couldn't even THINK of parting with the FJR though, it's so sweet once it's moving. :D

Jill
Hi Jill,

For something TOTALLY diferent, you might take a test ride on a Triumph Speedmaster. I think they're changing them for 07 or 08, but mine has a 865 (called a 900cc !) engine, and handles really well.

Not quite like a sportbike, but no problems with 300+ mile days, either. Would've ridden furthur, but hey, I was were I was going! A few minor things, but there's a really good Triumph forum, the guys know the bikes inside and out. No, it won't cruise at 130+, but it cruises 85-95 nicely. Dont' know about top end yet, too many cops seemed to be out when I was riding it... :eek: (

Kinda of a little fun bike to ride.

Mary

I don't know what every one's talking about, I've never felt that the FJR is top heavy. My other ride is a HD and it has a very low CG and when I get on the FJR it just feels lighter and much more nimble which is to be expected but it has never felt top heavy while making tight U turns or putting around parking lots... By the way I'm only 5' 10"

I just finished my (every other year) ERC refresher. I saw students (at least one of whom I know to be an MSF "coach") unable to stay within the larger box when doing the u-turn-and-swerve drill (#4 like doing back-to-back, s-turns). I was on the FJR (for the second time) and did it all within the smaller box for the second time (marked off for the BRC and small bikes).

Maybe you should consider one of these?

mp3red.jpg

There will never be a bike made that someone won't complain about for some reason, or another. The only reasons I can see for not getting an FJR are:

1) Lack of riding experience (start on something smaller)

2) Lack of money (we all have our priorities

3) Lack of tar (this is not a dual-sport bike)

Any complaints I make, or have made in the past (few if any) have been based on trying to obtain perfection in an imperfect world. In terms of the bike being heavy, it is. In terms of it being difficult at slow speeds, I don't find it to be so. I was backing it out of my driveway today, having swithced from DRZ400SM to the FJR after 3 weeks of commuting on the DRZ. I smiled because backing the FJR was much easier due to the well balanced nature of the bike.

Cya when you want something more :) and enjoy your Tiger. Cool bike. By nature of the Tiger being a Dual Sport, it is going to be higher than the FJR right? ??

270 lbs Dang! MadMike2 you carry it well :p
So does his FJR :D Right sparky? I mean Mike!

I have though some about this thread and based on a lot of things, I really think the FJR is the best bike to buy. Better bike, better factory support, better people ride them hahaha.

Get the FJR, you won't be sorry.

I really dont feel the FJR is top heavy until I have riden my shadow cruiser for a while....do that for a few days and then switch back to the FJR and I notice the difference...nothing huge but it is noticable. Of course the Shadow seat is 25 inches off the ground and the FJR is what 31-33"?

I don't know what every one's talking about, I've never felt that the FJR is top heavy. My other ride is a HD and it has a very low CG and when I get on the FJR it just feels lighter and much more nimble which is to be expected but it has never felt top heavy while making tight U turns or putting around parking lots... By the way I'm only 5' 10"
+1 The FJR is not top heavy. Parking lot manuevers are a sinch and were much more difficult on my vmax. Want a lighter triumph sport tourer? try the sprint st. The FJR will be more comfortable for long distances though...

well you have managed to change my mind about getting a FJR right now after reading the threads on it being top heavy, overweight and not a good slow speed bike.
WHAT? Are we talking about the same FJR? Topheavy? Not good slow speed? I'm confused. Or you are.

I'm 5'6" and can handle the FJR with no issues. Experience outweighs the apparent size benefits.

Making mistakes like you just made builds character.
+1

I was thinking the same thing :)

the new Tiger is a fine bike. If it is anything like a more comfortable speed triple you will have a fun time on it.

I sold my speed triple recently and am thinking of ordering a Tiger.

My FJR is still tops for LD riding in comfort. be interested to see how the tiger does on long trips in cold wet weather.

Do like the lite weight though.

PS you don't have to graduate to an FJR, they are just as easy to ride. In fact I would say they are a dam site easier than the old Tiger which I also owned for a year or so.