Schampa helmet liner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
I've read the reviews from WebBikeWorld.com. Now I'd like to hear what you all might have to say about the following.

Anybody here ever use either the CoolSkin or the Balaclava helmet liners during the various seasons?

What are some of the goods , the bads and the uglies you have experienced?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
First, the balaclava discussion is always predicated on saying 'it's mostly the helmet' -- I've got a new-ish Shoei and a Schuberth, and my C2 is the every day helmet. And it seals up REALLY well.

So, when temps hit 50F, the balaclava comes out. I've been through a bunch of the coolmax ones, the nameless ones at the cycle store, etc. I'll tell you that the best I've used, ever, is that Pharoah Deluxe from Schampa. Keeps the noggin nice and toasty, and it stops the wind. Period. It's also nice and thin for your head, so helmet fit doesn't change much. My C2 is alot better at changing shape inside than the Shoei is.

However... this thing is not waterproof. In a driving, sustained rain, it will start to get wet. After about 2 hours, it's soaked up enough water to start getting my chin pad area wet as it soaks water in.

In the sub-freezing temps, a heated jacket liner with a heated turtleneck plus the Pharoah, and you're set.Totally comfy, provided your helmet seals up well.

The thing I don't like about any other balaclava is that they don't have adequate neck protection, if any at all. If your head is cold, your neck is probably colder!

Oh, and the split mouth is nice if you have a comm mic.

I've had good luck recently with the Under Armour balaclava - called a tactical hood in UA marketing-speak. It is thin, and the neck section extends into my jacket's neckline. I only wear it when it gets really cold - 45 or less.

For cool weather (upper 40's to low 60's), I use a Schampa neck gaiter all the time, and it's been great. It's held up well for over two years now, and has a lot of life left in it.

On those rare occasions when I ride in temps below 45, I use both the UA balaclava and the Schampa neck gaiter.

Not quite what you were asking about but here is an ugly that works really great for summer riding. Look like a fool but ride cool. Note that it is SLiks and not SiLks.

It is also available with neck 'gator'.

My wife wears one, Charlie and Ms Hoss are wearers also.

I've used Schampa head gear in both winter and summer and it works well.

IMO, if you can try it on at a show, you can get a better fit, as the same size seemed to have a fair amount of variation.

SKLCP016-Black Traditional Nylon SkullCap Black

BLCLV016-4 Nylon/Lycra Traditional Balaclava Yellow

i got a an aerostich balaclava thrown in for free when i won a 'stich suit on ebay. it's the thin material on the head, but the polar fleece stuff on the neck. thing is really good, considering i'm follically challenged by choice. har har. but it really does help provide an extra layer for my head.

dean

cincinnati

i got a an aerostich balaclava thrown in for free when i won a 'stich suit on ebay. it's the thin material on the head, but the polar fleece stuff on the neck. thing is really good, considering i'm follically challenged by choice. har har. but it really does help provide an extra layer for my head.
dean

cincinnati
I've got that same balaclava and I've liked it, but when I wore it with my Nolan N-102, the fleece at the back of the neck was too thick and it was pretty uncomfortable. I've got a new helmet on the way (Multitec) and we'll see how it works with that.

dean

cincinnati
I've got that same balaclava and I've liked it, but when I wore it with my Nolan N-102, the fleece at the back of the neck was too thick and it was pretty uncomfortable. I've got a new helmet on the way (Multitec) and we'll see how it works with that.
Squeezer,

Cool. I pick up my Multitec today.

I see the need for the balaclava, but wonder if the summer helmet liner would be used.

I'm hoping to order both the summer and winter liner in the next week or so.

Squeezer,
Cool. I pick up my Multitec today.

I see the need for the balaclava, but wonder if the summer helmet liner would be used.

I'm hoping to order both the summer and winter liner in the next week or so.
I used to wear one of the SLiK helmet liners noted above in the summer back when I had a Shoei RF-800. I thought it did a good job of reducing helmet skank (a highly technical term, by the way), and I still think a wicking liner could keep you more comfortable in the summer. That thing blew away into the ether at a windy truck stop and I never bothered to replace it, tho.

A couple years ago I picked up a Cool-Max skull cap for summer riding, but it wasn't comfortable in either of my Nolans so I never wore it enough to say much about it. Again, I guess I'll see how it works with the Multitec.

So I guess my personal history says that summer liners are okay and, no, not really needed.

I'm not convinced that the balaclava is really necessary, either, if the helmet has a chin skirt. I've put on a lot of miles in 30 to 40 degree weather without one. Our bikes give us a lot of wind protection. My jackets have high collars and I almost always wear a turtleneck when it's cold. And since I hate to ride when there's ice on the roads, I'm not in a lot in sub-30 weather.

I used to wear one of the SLiK helmet liners noted above in the summer back when I had a Shoei RF-800. I thought it did a good job of reducing helmet skank (a highly technical term, by the way), and I still think a wicking liner could keep you more comfortable in the summer.

+1 - except I still wear one for all the above reasons. My hair is naturally oily so it keeps the helmet padding cleaner longer.

Plus, it cuts down on some of the wind noise.

As shared in the Multitec thread, I also purchased the Schampa Pharoah Balaclava. Rode with it home today. very comfortable and served its purpose quite effeciently.

Thanks for the insights.

I'll probably buy the summer Schampa in the next couple months.