schuberth c3 or bmw system 6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_123

Reaction score
im shopping for a new helmet and i gotta tell ya

what a pain in the ass

having a big nugget atop my shoulders makes this a pretty difficult venture

ive narrowed it down the the bmw system 6 as it gives me the most room in front of my mouth not making the helmet feel nearly as stuffy as most others

it seems to have some pretty cool fetures i really like and the fit is incredible

however it sais bmw on the back of it and doesnt come in the 2010 fjr colour or even close

ive heard schuberth makes the earlier sytem 5 helmets but not the system 6

any truth to this

if so wouldnt the better choice be the schuberth

trouble is there is no dealer around here that sells or stocks schuberth so im not able to try one on

im wondering if anyone has compared the fit and finish between these 2 helmets

does the schuberth give as much room in the front of the helmet as the bmw

im not able to buy either helmet locally as the price of the bmw is just a hair over 900 bucks as opposed to 650 delivered from designerhelmets.com

ive found the correct size for the bmw helmet witch is 62/63 and im hoping sizing for the schuberth would be close to the same

I'm wondering if you'd looked at the Scorpion EXO-900, which seems to be a well made helmet to me, perhaps not in the "class" of the BMW System 6, but I just can't see paying $900 for a helmet I'm going to replace in 5 years or when it gets cracked. The EXO is less than $300, and has a fair bit of chin room, unlike the Nolans which have basically none. You might want to give the EXO a look. I like mine.

I'm wondering if you'd looked at the Scorpion EXO-900, which seems to be a well made helmet to me, perhaps not in the "class" of the BMW System 6, but I just can't see paying $900 for a helmet I'm going to replace in 5 years or when it gets cracked. The EXO is less than $300, and has a fair bit of chin room, unlike the Nolans which have basically none. You might want to give the EXO a look. I like mine.
yes ive looked at the scorpion shoei nolan

the flip down sun visor in the bmw is the only one that covers my eyes and doesnt hit the bridge of my nose

all other helmets dont seem to give much room in front of the mouth so by the time you put a mic in there for the intercom its right tight against your lips

beleive me i dont want to pay more then i have to for a good quality comfortable helmet

but to date the only one that felt good was the beamer

if anyone knows any other brands kick me some ideas

just found a caberg online that might look promising

Can't compare. All I can say is I'm very pleased with my Schuberth C3.

Comfortable, good vents, light, nice sun visor, easy fastening.

Only criticism is the visor doesn't like staying open just a bit, it closes itself going over a bump or when above town speeds (depends on windscreen setting).

Can't compare. All I can say is I'm very pleased with my Schuberth C3.
Comfortable, good vents, light, nice sun visor, easy fastening.

Only criticism is the visor doesn't like staying open just a bit, it closes itself going over a bump or when above town speeds (depends on windscreen setting).

what size is your c3

do you find it gives a good amount of space in front of your mouth

does the sun shade come down far enough so you dont have to look through the bottom edge of it

does it hit the bridge of your nose

...what size is your c3

do you find it gives a good amount of space in front of your mouth

does the sun shade come down far enough so you dont have to look through the bottom edge of it

does it hit the bridge of your nose
Size: Medium. Perfect fit for my head. (Everyone I say this to can't believe I don't need an XXXXL.)

Fair amount of space, but if I thrust my jaw forward and down I can make it touch. (Strange what you get up to when on a boring stretch of road.)

In its lowest position, comes down to within about 1/2 inch from my nose, shaped round nose so 1/2 inch from cheeks, no need to look below it to see the instruments (if that's what you're getting at). However, I don't use it much except when riding directly into a low sun; it's rare I need sunglasses except for full-on sun. I may be sticking some black tape over the upper part of the sun visor to block a low sun completely (did this on my previous Caberg.)

No it doesn't hit my nose, it's shaped nicely round it.

A buddy of mine solved the problem on his helmet (not a Shuberth) with a small O-ring on each visor pivot. Don't know if yours is in any way similar, but worth a look.

ive had an itchy submit finger today so i took the plunge and ordered a silver schuberth c3 in xxl (62/63)

https://www.designerhelmets.com/proddetail....fo=3&sale=0

hopefully there will be no issues having it delivered to a us post box and then bringing it across the canadian border

its about 40 bucks more then the bmw system 6 but after tryign to haggle out a deal with the bmw dealer yesterday i was a bit miffed at their arrogance

hopefull its a short wait for the helmet as i have been lookign forward to a nice helmet since i bought the fjr

I've had a C3 for six months. I use it on my naked FZ1. When getting hit with tons of windblast the sun visor can press very lightly against my nose, though it's not uncomfortable, and you'd never get that on the FJR anyway. And unlike the S1, the sun visor does cover nearly all your vision.

ive had an itchy submit finger today so i took the plunge and ordered a silver schuberth c3 in xxl (62/63)https://www.designerhelmets.com/proddetail....fo=3&sale=0

hopefully there will be no issues having it delivered to a us post box and then bringing it across the canadian border
What did the shipping cost you?
25 bucks

theres a currency converter on the site i ordered from aswell as a shipping dealio that tells you how much

all said and done was 713.26 us witch was 759 .81 cad

so a bit cheaper then the 950 bucks the bmw dealer wanted for the system 6 and hopefully i got the better helmet out of the deal

just hope to hell it fits me like the system 6 helmet did otherwise ill have to send it back and order the sytem 6

taking a bit of a gamble but whatdya do

Please give a review of which ever helmet you end up with. I have been drooling over the Schuberth's wondering if they are as quite as they claim and worth the big bucks.

Please give a review of which ever helmet you end up with. I have been drooling over the Schuberth's wondering if they are as quite as they claim and worth the big bucks.
the only negative ive heard on the c3 is the shield dropping when open on the first notch

the system 6 has a few more negatives with the shield locking up combined with the visor mechanism breaking and water comming on on heavy rain rides

however the system 6 i could have dealt with locally if i had issues

i sure would have liked to try on a c3 before a blind purchase but oh well

ill let ya all know how the c3 is after a few rides

so ive finally got a few good rides in with the c3 and the cheek pads are finally starting to mold to my fat cheeks nicely

designerhelmets.com was a breeze to deal with however shipping took alot longer then i thought it would

probably due to the shipping company leavign the lid in limbo for a few days

being a new toy for me i of course was a little anxious to get it

sizing on the website is spot on however i was a tad worried when i first put the helmet on

it felt pretty tight the chin curtain felt liek a huge annoyance i wouldnt get used to at all and the chin strap felt like it was in the wrong spot all together choking me somewhat

after some tinkering and pulling apart i got the chin strap to fit just right

the chin curtain is attached with velcro so off that came as my chin is clearly way to big to accept that piece

first few rides ill admit were very uncomfortable for me and i was regretting my high dollar purchase and almost ready to put my old shoei back on

but i stuck it out and let the c3 mold to my face

to date there is nothign bad i can say about this helmet

quality of the face shield mechanism feels great

it closes tight and the detents for the sheild position are also have a tight click to them

the chin flip up section feels great and is easily opened and closed with gloves on even while riding

ventalation is awsome

in fact in all the helmets ive owned over the years (9 of them of various quality) none of them had ventilation that really made much of a difference

the one vent on the top of the helmet has 3 positions and there is no guess work as to witch way the slide shoudl be for open or closed

you get quite a bit of air over your scalp witch really makes this a comphy helmet for me

the front vent almost seems to let to much air in as i can feel it moving over my eyes and blowing my hair around giving the buggy affect on your face unless the sun screen is down then the air is diverted over that

the sun shade is awsome

i hate wearing sun glasses in a helmet so this is a deffinate plus for me

its not to dark and not to light and the mechanism seems good quality

ive heard people have trouble with it falling down on bumpy roads but i havnt had that problem

mine is actually quite tight

the cheek pads are wearing in nicely aswell as the part of the chin curtain that is not removable

quite a comphy fit btu it still seems a bit tight around my chin witch im sure will work in a bit better over time and use

the interiore of the helmet is quite cushy and really very soft on the skin

deffinatly the quietest helmet ive worn and you really notice it at highway speeds while listening to the ipod

also there is very little buffeting even when turning your head sideways

ive hit some highway speeds of 210 kms and was quite impressed

visibility is excelent with a very clear veiw through both of the shields

ive described this helmet to friends as pulling the comfiest lazy boy recliner over my head and wouldnt hesitate to buy another again

only real complaint is finding a way to mount my scala rider to the helmet

it doesnt seem to want to work out very well so im tryign to talk my wife into a c3 aswell and using the schuberth bluetooth setup

hope some of this helps others in their purchase

any questions dont hesitate to ask

If it's worked out for you, I'm really glad for you, but...

There is no way in the world I'd buy ANY helmet without trying one on for fit.

Living near the owner of WebBikeWorld and doing some reviews for him, we lined up at least a half-dozen helmets that have been recently tested. The ones picked were the ones we thought would be similar in internal shape for my son to pick a new one, and of course I had to try each as well.

Even going in with the knowledge that we weren't looking at rounds for his long oval head, there was only one that was comfortable to him.

If YOU haven't had these helmets on, the odds are that this will come out badly for your wallet.

As for reviews: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-hel...cle-helmets.htm

Happy reading! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's worked out for you, I'm really glad for you, but...
There is no way in the world I'd buy ANY helmet without trying one on for fit.

Living near the owner of WebBikeWorld and doing some reviews for him, we lined up at least a half-dozen helmets that have been recently tested. The ones picked were the ones we thought would be similar in internal shape for my son to pick a new one, and of course I had to try each as well.

Even going in with the knowledge that we weren't looking at rounds for his long oval head, there was only one that was comfortable to him.

If YOU haven't had these helmets on, the odds are that this will come out badly for your wallet.

As for reviews: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-hel...cle-helmets.htm

Happy reading! B)

normally i wouldnt purchase a helmet wihtout trying it on either

but with no dealers around here i wasnt able to try one

closest i was able to try on was a used c3 a size smaller that has been worn for 2 seasons aswell as the bmw system 6 helmets witch fit alot alike

i actually fully expected to be sending the helmet back after i got it but i was ready for the risk to from what ive read on the helmet its the one i wanted to try

fortunatly it worked out for me