Scored a 2720 on eBay for $137

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
My 2610 has done a couple of flaky things in the last couple of months, namely not acquiring satellites once in a while. It finally started working again after I did a master reset some weeks ago, but it still refuses to acquire once in a while. Power cycling fixes it now, don't need another master reset. Basically, if I go to the GPS info page and no bars are showing when it says "acquiring," I just turn it off and back on, and it's good to go. Wasn't like that back in May, spent all afternoon trying to get it to go before giving up and doing the master reset.

So anyway, been watching eBay for a newer model, but still a StreetPilot, so I wouldn't have to get a new mount, new cable, all that crap. I was really trying to find a 2820 to get Bluetooth, but they're rather scarce. Only one I saw recently was the unit only, no accessories, and untested. No, thanks.

Anyway, put a ridiculous max bid of 139 on this 2720 on Friday, when it was already 132 with a half hour left, and I got it! I had the thing shipped to work and it arrived today. I went through the menus and reset every setting and recorded piece of information, mounted it on the bracket already on the bike for my 2610, waited for 20 minutes for it to actually acquire a fix, and when I got home, this was the trip computer screen:

MaxSpeed2720.jpg

My 2610 had been sitting at 293 mph for several months before the master reset. Getting SR-71 speed is . . . . satisfying. That Reset Max button is never going to be touched.

I remember a max speed "contest" thread from a couple of years ago, could not find it.

So far the main things I've come across comparing the 2720 with my older 2610 is the new 3D map view, which I'm not sure is that big a deal on a screen that small, especially since it doesn't even fill the screen. As for information available, the 2610 wins hands down! The 2720 shows heading, speed and arrival time. The 2610 can show those as well as arrival distance, next turn time, next turn distance, and addresses you're passing by. The 2720 combines some of that into the on-map display when it changes views, like for the next turn, but the 2610 can leave that up all the time, and the transparent tabs of the 2610 leave the map bigger than the 2720 (full screen.) Us old dudes gotta like that. But the 2610 is stuck at 2008 maps as the latest available, where the 2720 can still get current updates, and the 2610 has no detail maps built in, you have to transfer detail from MapSource, and you're limited by the size of your CF memory card. The 2720 has the NT map set, with the whole country's detail built in, something that would require a 2GB CF card in the 2610. Also, the 2720 struck me as being dimmer than the 2610. Both are on auto-brightness.

EDIT: Ahh! Found the adjustments for map tabs, and the 2720 can show the same kind of stuff. But it replaces map space rather than overlaying the map in a transparent tab, which drops the map down to half screen or less.

EDIT 2: Forgot about Text-to-Speech, too. Hearing street names instead of "300 feet" is pretty cool. now that I've got the tabs set up the way I like, the map is more useful than it was before. This has now become a better device than the 2610.

Last edited by a moderator: