Scorion EXO-700 Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowags

Reaction score
Found what seems to be a good deal on these. I use an older Arai now and love the way it fits but it's getting beat up. Has anyone worn both at one time or another? I believe the Arai's are for the oval shaped head. Anyone know if the Scorpions are made for round or oval?

Sorry, I can't help with the Arai (never had one).

I'm now wearing the Scorpion EXO-700 "Raider". I'm pretty sure the Scorpion is made for oval shaped heads (since I have an oval shaped head and the Scorpion fits well. My only complaint thus far was the excessive wind coming up from under my chin. Since I wear contacts, this was a bother until I purchased the optional wind skirt.

Think I have a roundish head & 700 raider helmet, fits fine. Tight fit in saddlebag tho, have xl size.

I wish they'd came out with the 1000 earlier. like the idea of the flip down sun visor " inside" the main visor.

helmet harbor was giving away the chin skirt with purchase of helmet

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I can't help with the Arai (never had one). I'm now wearing the Scorpion EXO-700 "Raider". I'm pretty sure the Scorpion is made for oval shaped heads (since I have an oval shaped head and the Scorpion fits well. My only complaint thus far was the excessive wind coming up from under my chin. Since I wear contacts, this was a bother until I purchased the optional wind skirt.
Older arai's actually are more round shape as far as I know. I have a very oval "some actually call me an egg head" and I cannot wear arai products. Typicially they hit me across the forhead so hard it hurts pretty much instantly. For me Shoei's fitt well, and I plopped the scorpion on my head the other day and it felt really good. I think we could classify this as an Oval shape helmet. Google "Helmet Reviews" and go to web bike worlds web site. while subjective, they do offer feedback for many types of helmets. An i know the EXO-700 is there.

I've never had an Arai either but do own a Scorpion.

The 700 is pretty much the same as the 400 - but with a different shell.

I've got a 400 - my son has both a 400 and 700. We like em' a lot. Good quality and the 700 can be had for slightly under 200 bucks.

The 400 runs around $145.

My only complaint is wind noise - but I've never found a helmet yet that eliminates the noise to a level I think is great.

I've never found anything yet that fit me as me as the Scorpion helmet does.

I havn't used a scorpion helmet but have an Arai that doessn't feel real good but not too awful bad either. I consider myself to have an oval shaped head as well and for me the Shoei fits great. I think the Arai has a little better ventilation but the Multitek is just fine if the temps are below 95f or if you have to go slow for a long time it can get a little hot.

I have both the Arai Quantum and the Scorpion 700. They both fit about the same.

Arai – Lighter, quieter and a better build quality.

Scorpion – Fogless face shield, almost the same quality for a lot less money.

I test crashed the Scorpion with an 80 mph get off. The helmet looked like hell, but my head came out as pretty as it was before the crash. :crazy:

Thanks for the input guys. I have an older Arai Renegade now. I read somewhere the Quantum fit real similar to the Renegade. Cane, nice testimony. Hope I never have do that again myself. Once is enough. :dribble: I'll have to see if I can find a place to try on one of the Scorpions. They are considerably less than the Arais. But the Arai fits so nice!!! I tried a Shoei for a week before I bought the Arai. Gave me a wicked headache if I had it on for more than 15 minutes.

The helmet looked like hell, but my head came out as pretty as it was before the crash. :crazy:
Nice!

I have a 700 also. Comfortable but I have to agree with other posts, a good bit of wind noise. I'll have to start wearing ear plugs until I get a new windshield which is a bit taller.

The new EXo-1000 will be out shortly, it has a secondary tinted sheild inside the first one for those sunny days

wyowags,

I bought a Scorpion EXO-700 last summer after wearing an Arai helmet for a number of years. If the Arai was a good fit, then the Scorpion probably will be also. With a couple of caveats:

• The distance between my chin and the helmet is a bit smaller in the EXO-700 than in my old Arai.
  • The sizing of the Scorpions seems to run small. I wore a size XL Aria. Had to move to an XXL Scorpion.
Cheers!

In the last 5 years I've had a Arai Quantum, Shoei RF1000, HJC AC11 and now the EXO700.

The Arai was very comfortable and very $$$$$ and has the worse shield change mechanism.

The Scorpion is just as comfortable as the Arai, better shield changed, great venting.

I love this helmet!

I bought mine here Clicky for under $200 delivered and will be sticking with Scorpion helmets.

I read somewhere they're coming out with a "1000" model that's supposed to have some great bells and whistles.

I hope when everybody realizes how great they are they don't tripple they're prices.

Buy one you'll love it!

Steve

I agree....the 700 is an awesome helmet. Like many others here, I have not found a helmet that knocks out wind noise and have come to accept it as a given (all decent helmets are within the same range of "wind noise"). I bought the 700 with mutliple shields and usually end up keeping the "light smoke" shield on which is good enough for a sunny day and not too dark for the rides at dusk. Shields can be changed in seconds which really makes it easy. The vents are nice, the helmet fits great and is comfortable for the longer rides and definitely does not fog up on those cool mornings.

later

Thanks for all the good info guys. This place is great, kinda like an online-at your fingertips-review article out of a magazine. Only better! I expect no less form this forum!! :lol: I'm gonna have to get me one! By the way, if anyone is looking for a 400 or 700 solid for a killer price, check out extremesupply.com. Later Gents!

Found what seems to be a good deal on these. I use an older Arai now and love the way it fits but it's getting beat up. Has anyone worn both at one time or another? I believe the Arai's are for the oval shaped head. Anyone know if the Scorpions are made for round or oval?
I've worn Arai, HJC and the EXO-700. I thought the EXO was great until it got trashed in a non-riding "accident." When I had to replace it, I tried the HJC AC-12 and couldn't believe how much lighter - and just as great a feel it had.

My $0.02

I've worn Arai, HJC and the EXO-700. I thought the EXO was great until it got trashed in a non-riding "accident." When I had to replace it, I tried the HJC AC-12 and couldn't believe how much lighter - and just as great a feel it had.
My $0.02
My $0.02 is in agreement. I recently purchased a new helmet and wanted to get on the Scorpion bandwagon. I tried some on, then tried an AC-12. It's a highly individual thing; fit and preference. For me it was no contest, the AC-12 won hands down. It felt perceptibly lighter and definitely fit my head better (moderate oval). I really like it. It's the quietest helmet thus far for me, and the vents are awesome. I can actually feel the moving air over the top of my head even in these humid 90's Oklahoma summer days.

Each to their own.

I just ordered the EXO-700 this morning. I tried one on yesterday and it fit great. Couldn't find anyone in town that carried the AC-12. I tried one that was an SP something or other and it didn't come close to the level of padding or fit the Scorpoin had. But I think it was a subordinate model to the AC-12. At $117.00, I'll give the Scorpion a try and turn it around if I don't like it. But I think I will. Thanks again guys.

Kurt