Scorpion EXO 1000 helmets - any comments?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geed

Reaction score
Okay, so since I am picking up my new baby this Saturday, I want to also pickup a pair of new helmets (my Shoei's are over 8 years old now). I was looking at the Scorpion EXO 1000 helmets and I really like them. I especially like the integrated retractable sunglasses build right into them! That is something that is long over-due!

Just wondering of anyone here has heard anything good or bad about them? They seem very comfortable, light weight, and some nice features.

Okay, so since I am picking up my new baby this Saturday, I want to also pickup a pair of new helmets (my Shoei's are over 8 years old now). I was looking at the Scorpion EXO 1000 helmets and I really like them. I especially like the integrated retractable sunglasses build right into them! That is something that is long over-due!
Just wondering of anyone here has heard anything good or bad about them? They seem very comfortable, light weight, and some nice features.
I had problems riding in sub freezing temps with one. Ventilation was poor enough that condensation kept forming and then freezing after its first 30 minute ride. Scorpion finally admitted that there was a problem but wouldn't take it back under warranty. They told me that they were going to redesign their entire line to improve venting. I do not know how they are now.

I have no experience with the Scorpion EXO-1000 yet, but I am on my second EXO-400.

I was wearing the first one when I crashed back in September the day after EOM. It did its job, taking a pretty hard lick to the front left quadrant. It was about 18 months old, with about 30k mile on it. The liner was still in good shape.

Things I like are the light weight, good ventilation, good aerodynamics, fog free windshield, and replaceable line. Cons would be non IMHO and experience. No complaints, which is why I bought another.

My wife needed a new helmet as well after the crash, she is going to get the EXO-1000, and the key selling point was the drop down internal sun shield.

My wife, and I both have EXO 400's.......no problems at all. She's on her second one, this is my first. I will buy one again when this one gets too old.

sportbike trackgear has some good deals on them, and good video's about Scorpion helmets

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't have any experience with scorpion helmets but in the June issue of Rider magazine they had a helmet buyers guide. They reviewed about 18 helmets. They said the Scorpion Exo-1000 was the heaviest in their test (4lbs.) and the shell was larger than most helmets. They like the sun shield but said it lets in some glare around the edge. They like the inflatable cheek pads, said the helmet was very quiet. They like the crown vent but said the vents above the eye ports and the chinbar don't move much air. Overall they seemed to like the helmet. Hope this helps.

FWIW, since Shinko Chinese tires that are actually made in Korea are not held in high esteem here on the forum, the Scorpion EXO series helmets have a sticker inside that actually says "Made in China". <_<

It's the process & materials, not the people IMO.

My EXO-400 is OK, but the anti-fog coating didn't even last a year and a replacement shield for my helmet would be 1/3 the cost of a whole new helmet.

I find the vent actuators to be ambiguous as to whether they are open or closed, God forbid the all knowing engineers would actually label the plastic on the vents. :rolleyes:

I think I'll try something else when the time comes, unless I can find an EXO for $50 as a closeout.

I have had both the EXO-400 and the EXO-1000. The EXO-400 was extremely comfortable for me and my oval head. The helmet worked really well and I highly recommend it. Then the EXO-1000 came out and I got one. Better design with the integrated sun visor. But, after thirty minutes of wearing it, I developed a horribly painful hotspot on my forehead. The only conclusion I could come to was the shape of the helmet changed to not properly accommodate my oval head.

With that, I loved the 1000, just couldn't wear it. I ended up leaving the Scorpion line for a Nolan N-103 and am very happy, although I do miss the noise levels of the EXO helmets.

Not a 1000, but I have had the exo-700 for a couple of years and have really liked it. Feels like a more expensive helmet for less. Venting is no problem, except sometimes I almost get too much air with them open. I do wish the shield would seal better at the top as some rain eventually dribbles down the inside. I like the removable liner and the easily switched shields. If I buy a new one I will definitely look at the 1000.

I bought the wife a EXO-700 when I bought mine. She also developed the pressure point on her forhead that a previous poster mentioned. She hadn't noticed it in the store. She eventually went back to her HJC.

Had to chuckle as the Korean Helmet has some chinese manufacture, but the shield is made in Canada. Sing along with me, "We are the world, we are the...."

paul from Minnesota

Just made helmet purchase-my first full face helmet that I can actually use. Looked at many, read a lot, fitted a dozen. While I really like the Skorp line, all I discovered led me to the HJC IS-16. Also has the drop down sunshade, much better set-up though. High marks in reviews. have had it for a couple weeks now, long enough to personally recommend it. Has nice little speaker pockets-adding sound is a breeze. Mechanism for sunshade is awesome. Fit and finish are great. Sells for around a buck seventy five.

2009_HJC_IS-16_Solid_Helmet.jpg

Recent Review Here

Helmet Harbor Video

Just made helmet purchase-my first full face helmet that I can actually use. Looked at many, read a lot, fitted a dozen. While I really like the Skorp line, all I discovered led me to the HJC IS-16. Also has the drop down sunshade, much better set-up though. High marks in reviews. have had it for a couple weeks now, long enough to personally recommend it. Has nice little speaker pockets-adding sound is a breeze. Mechanism for sunshade is awesome. Fit and finish are great. Sells for around a buck seventy five.
2009_HJC_IS-16_Solid_Helmet.jpg

Recent Review Here

Helmet Harbor Video
I got a chance to look at both the exo and the hjc in the store when I was making my purchase. The visor on the exo comes down a little farther than the hjc which gets it out of your line of sight better. Don't open the forehead vent on the exo if the visor is up. The forehead vent blows right on the visor and when you do put it down you will have dirt on it. I never open this vent.

I do wish the shield would seal better at the top as some rain eventually dribbles down the inside.
You can tighten the seal by using the screws on each side where the shield pivots. Loosen each screw, pull the shield towards the rear of the helmet, then tighten the screw. No more leaks. Regularly lubing the seal also helps.

That said, I've had Arai, Shoei and Scorpion helmets. I like the Scorpion the best. Personally, though, I am not a fan of the 1000; I just didn't find it all that comfortable and it's heavier than the 700. The 700 is the quietest helmet of the three and the no-fog shields are great. I just wish they'd get the photochromatic shield issues sorted...I really liked that one.

Here is my review: I have had an EXO 1000 for two years now and have only high praise for it. Very comfortable and never had any pressure points. I like the pump cheek feature but really do not use it much. I absolutely love the flip down sun shield, hard to imagine me having a helmet without one now. I have had far less problems with fogging than with Shoei or many other helmets I have owned. I do not ride below freezing but from the 30s all the way up into the 100s, I find this helmet works very well for me. I have noticed it is heavier than our Shoeis, but I honestly have not noticed it on even the longest of rides. My wife has finally decided she now wants to give up her Butterfly Shoei because of how much less hassle I have with fogging and sun transitions, (she loves her Shoei so this is big). Out of a half dozen full shell helmets I have owned, I would say this helmet is by far my favorite to date. Hope this helps.

:)

I have worn the EXO-1000 now for about 15 months. The venting is decent, although it can get sweaty in stop and go traffic. I did find that I wanted the internal visor to be just a little bigger from top to bottom I can see the bottom of the visor as I look straight ahead, however it's not a major issue. I also swapped out the clear visor for a light tint with it teamed up with the internal visor it really helps with the bright sun here in Florida and I can still see at night. Noise levels are okay, my previous helmet was a KBC flip-lid which was considerably noisier.

Hope this helps

Geed,

I purchased a Scorpion Exo-1000 helmet when it first came out in December 2007 - the reason I purchased it was the built-in sunvisor.

All I can say is that I will NEVER PURCHASE another Scorpion product. The shield fogs up in < 60 degrees in a way I have never seen a helmet do ... it looks like one put some kind of plastic on the bottom of the shield. The helmet is also VERY HEAVY!! If you ever ride in high winds, you will have a very sore neck.

I replaced it in mid-April with the Schuberth C3 flip-up helmet - it has a built-in visor too! I have only made one trip with the new helmet because of electrical problems, but so far it is the BEST HELMET I HAVE EVER OWNED!!

The Schuberth C3 isn't available in the US .. I had to order it from Europe!

Best Regards,

Shane

Wow, such diverse comments....some love it, some hate it (or at least would prefer something else). All I know is I want something other than a Shoei. I'll definitely be checking out the HJC offerings. Thanks for all the reviews and comments.... much appreciated!!