Scorpions new Photo-chromatic helmet shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
Well UPS dropped of my new $80 face shield from Scorpion and I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed (for now). I have not yet put it on my helmet as I had to go to a B'day party with my daughter this a.m., so I left it in the (direct)sun while we were gone to see how dark it would get. The answer-

NOT-VERY. :angry2:

I would rate the color change to less than that of what you would see on the drivers window of a cage. around 10 or so percent. If this changes as I wear the shied and it must go through a break in period for some odd reason I will update you. But for now my feeling is I shoulda saved $80 ($69.95 retail and $10 ship) and continued to wear sun-glasses with a clear shield as it looks like I'll still have the glasses on anyway.

On the positive, as this is the topic of another thread it does say it is UV protective.

Last edited by a moderator:
so I left it in the (direct)sun while we were gone to see how dark it would get. The answer- NOT-VERY. :angry2:

On the positive, as this is the topic of another thread it does say it is UV protective.

Perhaps it wasn't a high UV day ? Or one side needs to be shaded ( attached to the helmet ) to provide a differential ?

[ Perhaps it wasn't a high UV day ? Or one side needs to be shaded ( attached to the helmet ) to provide a differential ?
Its a turn your ass lobster-red in an hour day!

Weather chanel has us at a 10+ extreme UV index Current temp 97 with a 105 heat index.

No difference when on the helmet. approx 10% change (very Light smoke)

IMHO, none of the photochromatic shields/shield attachments currently on the market are worth either the hype or the $. None of them seem to make much more than a 10-15% change. Maybe if there were a change comparable to that made by photochromatic eyeglass lenses. But then again, many manufacturers of those lenses recommend against using them for driving. Best bet for my dollar is a good pair of sun glasses or changing shields according to the lighting conditions; really makes the quick shield change helmets more attractive.

IMHO, none of the photochromatic shields/shield attachments currently on the market are worth either the hype or the $. None of them seem to make much more than a 10-15% change. Maybe if there were a change comparable to that made by photochromatic eyeglass lenses. But then again, many manufacturers of those lenses recommend against using them for driving. Best bet for my dollar is a good pair of sun glasses or changing shields according to the lighting conditions; really makes the quick shield change helmets more attractive.
I agree on the quick change. I have a Scorpion EXO700 in flat black. Love it. Easy to switch shield or just keep my Maui Jim's comfortably on underneath.

Scorpion Helmets has (or will shortly) a snowmobile-specific helmet with a clear shield WITH a tinted sun shield that can be raised or lowered as needed.

https://www.scorpionusa.com/products/snow.html

Scroll down to accessories for more info.

Says on the Scorpion site that the shield can be used on their cycle helmets.

Looks like the conversion kit to dual plane will fit the motorcycle helmet. Not sure I want to pay $60 for a plastic shield.