Scrap Iron Impacting Tire Prices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRO

Reaction score
So, I run over a 9/16" bolt, yesterday. A couple living by the highway informed me, "Lots of folks been getting flat tires, these last few days. They's been haulin' junk up and down the road."

Uh-huh. I figured this meant the Highway Dept., or some construction company dragging off something-or-other, or some salvage yard hauling away crushed autos. Nope. Going back into town, we got behind two oil-smoking, beat-up pick-up trucks, towing flatbed trailers (in gross states of alignment), loaded, haphazardly, with a virtual myriad of rusted everythingyoucanimagine scrap iron, bits of which are trailing or bouncing off in various directions.

Now I know who 'they' is, and what 'junk' means.

Scrap iron is bringing over $200 a ton. This brings every 'junkie' out of Tobacco Road, to truck whatever trade they can dig up, straight to the scrap iron company. The results to highway reliability are predictable.

I hauled the bike over to the dealership this morning, for a tire. Two tires; figured I might as well replace the front one, too. I also had them install some right-angle stems in the rims, as I am tired of nearly breaking my wrist to check the air pressure. I didn't bother to ask price. When I purchased the FJR, I checked this out. My last bike was a Triumph Tiger, with oddball sized tires, often of limited availability. The price always sucked. FJR tires are more commonly sized, and pleasingly less expensive. "Go ahead and change them both. That front one loses air, anyway."

Later, the tires are changed. 9/16" x 3" - Wow. Lucky I still have a rim, as the bolt went straight in. The bill - $427.

So much for cheaper tire changes. Inflation took care of that. And make no mistake - tire prices are directly associated with scrap... Better luck to the rest of you.

Ouch!!!

I just got two Dunlop RoadSmarts from SW Moto for $250 delivered to my door. Put them on myself and save even more.

Thats one thing that has always killed me about bike dealers. They charge arm + leg for mounting and balancing even if you buy the tires from them. While most car tire shops toss in the mounting and balancing or maybe only charge $10 a tire.

This last time round, I purchased the tires from SW Moto and had a fellow FJR member help me change them out. Used the balance beads as well and saved even more coin since I didn't have to take them and get them balanced. Sure it takes a little sweat, but hell, thats cheap compaired to everything else these days.

Yah, this was my last 'dealer' tire change. When I got the bike, the calculated tire change was going to cost around $300. The tires went up, and the labor went up. So, back to the good old days of prying the things from the rim, out on the front poorch. Strange how the older I get, the more life seems headed back to where I started out.

Latest posts