Sears Craftsman Sale -- Torque Wrenches, Multimete

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just muttered the same thing to myself. Just bought one not 3 weeks ago. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Constant Mesh! I've been waiting to get the heavy torque wrench. 48 bucks sounds great.

I have 3 or 4 torque wrenches and several digital multimeters.

If you don't have these tools, you need them. You shouldn't work on your bike without them. I tend to like the WaveTek and Fleet meters--and for playing with electronics I like them to have the capacitance checker. But for a bike you need the continuity check, the resistance check, the amps and the DC voltage, at a minimum. You'll use them ALL the time.

As for torque wrenches: without them you undertighten bolts--and they vibrate out. Or you over-tighten them, and they shear from over-stress or strip their threads. Like safety gear--compared to the cost, torque wrenches are cheap. (doctor bills cost FAR more than even Arai helmets).

Had this one for several years and really like the display more than the ones I've had that use embossed readings on the shank. Much better when lighting is not perfect.

https://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00944563000

But the 25-250 is priced right for the low-use needs I have (steering head top nut, etc.).

BTW: If you're wanting something in a multimeter that can pack well on a bike, there's this great bit of kit. It's not as full-featured as my Fluke meter but it can do all the basics and packs where the Fluke couldn't think of fitting. Rat Shack used to have something even smaller but a search didn't pull it up. Too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just muttered the same thing to myself. Just bought one not 3 weeks ago. :angry:
Sears has a policy to refund the diff on sales if purchased w/i a month prior to the sale date. Bring in your reciept...

I just muttered the same thing to myself. Just bought one not 3 weeks ago
Or, just buy a new one and return it with the old receipt. I need one, but I'm on duty until Monday morning. "Honey, can you pick me up a torque wrench on your way home?." "What's that?". "Fifty bucks, just so you won't snap off another spark plug in the hole?". This is going to be an adventure...

Thanks for the info. Just got back from getting the 10-75 ft/lb to supplement my 25-250 in/lb wrench.

Thanks for the info. Just got back from getting the 10-75 ft/lb to supplement my 25-250 in/lb wrench.
Uh oh, you'll need sumthin' for the steering head nut and rear axle if you wanna torque to factory specs...

Uh oh, you'll need sumthin' for the steering head nut and rear axle if you wanna torque to factory specs...

Nope. Not gonna buy a wrench for the few items calling for over 80 ft/lbs. Will use the good 'ol feel method which, to be honest, has never let me down. ;)

I noticed the ad yesterday. Tonight we went by OSH, a local outfit (in our first-in area) owned by Sears and selling Craftsman tools. They had the wrench, so the assistant manger matched Sears' price AND let me use their 10% off coupon that was good for tomorrow & Sunday, for a total out the door at $46.65. Sweeet! I wished I could afford two of them but I had some restraint and settled for just the small one.

Thanks for the tip Mr. Mesh!

Bagged the 10-75 one on the way home from work to replace my needle-type torque wrench. Money well spent. Gonna inagurate mine soon with an upcoming spark-plug replacement. Exciting!

Bagged the 10-75 one on the way home from work to replace my needle-type torque wrench. Money well spent. Gonna inagurate mine soon with an upcoming spark-plug replacement
10 may be a bit much for plugs. The book says 9.4 and I once snapped one off without a torque wrench. Be careful!

When installing new NGK plugs I followed the recommendation on the side of the NGK box.

Turn until finger tight (gasket firmly seated) then turn an additional 1/2 turn with a wrench.

This should compress the new gasket just right.

Installing and torquing an old plug with its existing crushed gasket may be best done with a torque wrench.

One guideline I've seen in a Honda manual seems straightforward and reasonable:

Tighten eack spark plug:

-- about 1/8 to 1/4 turn after it seats (if an old plug is reused)

-- about 1/2 turn after it seats (if installing a new plug)