Seat latch extender?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Kitty

Reaction score
I recently aquired a Maple Farkles cell and with the cell installed, my kitten mittens can't reach the seat latch very well. Anyone put some kind of extender on theirs to make it easier to reach? I'll reach out to Mike as well, but thought folks here might have done a similar thing for different reasons.

I have a Aussie Police Smuggler and I drilled a hole in the latch tab and attached a thin cable and ran it out the side coming out the hand hold for putting on the center stand so I can remove the front seat with out taking the smuggler off.

Thank you both of you. I think I'm going to try Marcus's idea. That was actually one of the suggestions from Mike Langford. If that doesn't work, I'll look into removing it and taking garauld up on his very generous offer
smile.png

Thank you both of you. I think I'm going to try Marcus's idea. That was actually one of the suggestions from Mike Langford. If that doesn't work, I'll look into removing it and taking garauld up on his very generous offer
smile.png
If you have to send one off gimme a holler. I think I have a spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had to drill a hole in the frame so the cable runs straight out to the side from the latch.

My extender is easy. I drilled a hole in the plastic cover in line with the latch. Affixed a ty rap to the latch, another ty-rap to that, and through the hole. The end of the tie rap that's external, I put another ty-rap 'head' on it for somewhere to grab. I'll try to take pix tomorrow for you! It's simple, elegant, and works. And ty-raps are always available should I need to cut it or should it break (not likely!).

The front seat latch used on the Aussie Police bikes is fitted for a cable with the pull reversed. The cable formerly used for the rear seat opens it. These are 300 clams or so new but I got one over on the aussie forum very reasonable.

This would only be useful if the cell is permanently mounted.

720738_1.png

This is all great info. Thanks for chiming in as well, Mr. Candy Butt! We may well use your elegant solution. The Aussie popo bike stuff sure looks slick, but I am not really willing to spend much and knowing there's a 10 cent solution.... yeah, that'll be it. The cell probably won't be removed often, but it can be and I may take it off for some periods of time. But the 'lanyard' sure seems handy - with or without the cell!

Thanks guys!

Okay, now that I've dug into the under seat area, things are more clear. I have a good idea what I wanna do, but if Marcus or CB don't mind posting a few pics - I would appreciate it before I start drilling holes where I *think* they should go!

A very minor concern would be the ability for anyone to remove my seat. I mean, that's the case anyway, really. But seems more inviting to me with something to grab onto external to the bike. With a black bike, a black tie wrap would probably be more discrete.