Seating/Handlebar Position: Cornering Technique - 05 w/ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhody

Reaction score
:umnik2:

Since acquiring my almost new 05 FJR with ABS about a month ago, I wanted to make a few observations about the standard seat (I had mine shaved/lowered by an inch or so, along with gel/memory foam inserted) and handlebars.

No complaints about comfort when touring, and the extra reach to the ground is great. I am 5'7ish about 165 lbs and find the cruising position just about perfect, but this is a SPORT/Touring bike, and in the SPORT mode there are a couple things after a few rides in the twisties that bother me.

First, I would love a get my butt back further when cornering/countersteering/hanging off. The forward position just does not feel right, it puts me too high up in the wind. I think a one piece seat that is made for a solo rider only would fit the bill.

Second, at higher speeds while cornering, the bars could be about an inch or two lower and an inch or two closer together to give better wind protection and a more natural feel while cornering. Would like to have a custom set of bars made that could easily be adjusted for touring or sport riding. Some folks have made theirs. I will probably buy a used pair of standard bars and farkle them in a machine shop.

This great bike has about 25 more hp and another 30 foot pounds of torque which has taken me some time to get used to from my last ride, Honda CB900F. I know, it was made in the early 80's had a crappy suspension, so don't laugh and bear with me.

I set my suspension, front: RB 7 clicks, CD 7 clicks, rear spring preload: hard, rear rebound: standard, front spring preload: standard

Sport cornering technique that seems to work for me. Assume for discussion smooth roads with mostly constant radius corners: scrub speed in corner entrance at 5 - 6K rpm in whatever gear is appropriate, shift to countersteer, make sure suspension isn't nose up or down after braking, in entrance to corner, accelerate gently/moderately/harder in corner entrance/apex/exit being really smooth with the throttle. Using this technique with moderate lean angles have never had front end push or rear wheel slide so far. My bike has standard OEM Metzlers, fairly low miles, so there is pretty good grip.

Here is my question, with all that torque lurking at around 7K rpm is it safe to be a little more aggressive with the throttle at moderate lean angles, 15 - 25 degrees ??? Second, do many/any riders regularly explore the footpeg feelers using good riding technique without bad feedback from the bike ???

I am too old to throw this great machine down the road, so I explore the available performance in stages, building on techniques and feedback from others that work.

Thanks in advance to all who read and take time to respond to this thread....... :)

:umnik2: First, I would love a get my butt back further when cornering/countersteering/hanging off. The forward position just does not feel right, it puts me too high up in the wind. I think a one piece seat that is made for a solo rider only would fit the bill.
Having about the same experience on an 05 ABS as you, I certainly don't claim to be the great voice of wisdom. But after 43 years of MX racing and a good 30 years of street riding, I can share some practiced opinion with you.

I very much agree that for us shorter guys (I'm 5'10") the FJR stock seat presents a challenge against sliding your butt back. I've learned the bike well enough to say that getting your butt back far enough to just feel the divider edge makes a big difference in the way the bike corners. To me, it seems to be the shifted CG and how it helps settle the rear suspension. Too far forward and the bike hops on small stuff and feels too loose.

My suggestion and what I've been doing, is to use the old MX technique and side-saddle that beast a bit. Try pushing the bars down into corners and keep your body posture closer to vertical. It let's me feel the bike's ability to corner, or feel when I'm about to go too far, without jeopardizing my beautiful complexion.

Just something you might want to try to give you some confidence and comfort building seat time. Seems like it's working for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
18 hours a day for a year on this should help with problem #1:

rack2.jpg

Your #2... PM Ramblin Man. He has a contact for custom bars that offer gobs of adjustment. Dey be uglier than skooterG's love child sired by radman, but they'll likely be of help in your case.

As for your torque/corner issue, with all the torque available to you with this bike, you needn't be revving it as you would have on the CB900. For me, this bike responds better to less shifting in the twisties, making for a much smoother ride and corner transition. For example, if you would normally drop from 5th to 3rd for a given corner, try 5th to 4th. There's plenty of grunt to push you outta the corner and less concern of breaking the rear loose. Course, I'm usually full of shit, so wait for the real experts to chime in. ;)

But remember this: Sometimes, slower is faster.

:umnik2:
Since acquiring my almost new 05 FJR with ABS about a month ago, I wanted to make a few observations about the standard seat (I had mine shaved/lowered by an inch or so, along with gel/memory foam inserted) and handlebars.

No complaints about comfort when touring, and the extra reach to the ground is great. I am 5'7ish about 165 lbs and find the cruising position just about perfect, but this is a SPORT/Touring bike, and in the SPORT mode there are a couple things after a few rides in the twisties that bother me.

First, I would love a get my butt back further when cornering/countersteering/hanging off. The forward position just does not feel right, it puts me too high up in the wind. I think a one piece seat that is made for a solo rider only would fit the bill.

Second, at higher speeds while cornering, the bars could be about an inch or two lower and an inch or two closer together to give better wind protection and a more natural feel while cornering. Would like to have a custom set of bars made that could easily be adjusted for touring or sport riding. Some folks have made theirs. I will probably buy a used pair of standard bars and farkle them in a machine shop.

This great bike has about 25 more hp and another 30 foot pounds of torque which has taken me some time to get used to from my last ride, Honda CB900F. I know, it was made in the early 80's had a crappy suspension, so don't laugh and bear with me.

I set my suspension, front: RB 7 clicks, CD 7 clicks, rear spring preload: hard, rear rebound: standard, front spring preload: standard

Sport cornering technique that seems to work for me. Assume for discussion smooth roads with mostly constant radius corners: scrub speed in corner entrance at 5 - 6K rpm in whatever gear is appropriate, shift to countersteer, make sure suspension isn't nose up or down after braking, in entrance to corner, accelerate gently/moderately/harder in corner entrance/apex/exit being really smooth with the throttle. Using this technique with moderate lean angles have never had front end push or rear wheel slide so far. My bike has standard OEM Metzlers, fairly low miles, so there is pretty good grip.

Here is my question, with all that torque lurking at around 7K rpm is it safe to be a little more aggressive with the throttle at moderate lean angles, 15 - 25 degrees ??? Second, do many/any riders regularly explore the footpeg feelers using good riding technique without bad feedback from the bike ???

I am too old to throw this great machine down the road, so I explore the available performance in stages, building on techniques and feedback from others that work.

Thanks in advance to all who read and take time to respond to this thread....... :)
Ok after reading everything in the first post I'm not real sure at what you are getting at.

Yes you can flog in the high RPMs just like other true sportbikes though it isn't realy necessary unless you are really trying to push the bikes limits. With the linear power band and good amount of torque being one gear up will actually help control your throttle response and should almost eliminate concerns about breaking loose the rear wheel. The only time i've ever had the rear break loose is during hard engine braking late in a corner.

The FJR doesn't have massive amounts of ground clearance but it is plenty stable even if you are grinding down your pep feelers...and trust me you wil KNOW when that happens...lol... and yes its very possible to rub pegs while using good technique and still have decent amounts of traction left and the feedback although exagerated through most of your leg doesn't have any other ill effects just some getting used to.

If your in the tight twisties and are really looking to push the FJR I highly recommend you use and aggresive sport bike tecknique. I'm 5'10 and using D&D risers alows me to change my seating possition forward/back as I see fit but I've never looked for additional room behind me in the tight stuff. I prefer to get a little closer to the tank shift my ass far to the inside of the corner(ie. outside cheek on the inside of the seat and inside cheek hanging clear off) before ever initiating the turn and due to the limited ground clearance hang the rest of my torsue as far as possible to the inside with my outside knee griping the tank and the inside knee hanging out for balance/stability

any of that help or make sense? Now i'm no Collin Edwards but these are some of the stuff I found work for me.

I suspect you won't get too many replies here on this forum. The majority of members, thought think they want the sport in sport touring really don't take advantage of the bikes sporty performance at all.

Case in point: almost every post from the new 06 owners immediately call for handle bar risers to be engineered, look for a softer seat and cushy grips (and then they scould the Goldwingers). I think Yamaha is actually making this machine less sport and more touring as the lowest handle bar height on the new adjustable bar at its lowest is higher than the standard handlebar mount on the 2003 I owned previoulsy.

I fell into the trap of buying for the 03 the handle bar risers, taller windshield ect. But realistically this stuff only benefited me on the really logn 400 mile rides. For the standard 200 mile Sunday rides through the hill country twisties I had to take all that stuff off.

I actually like the 2003 stock seat as it was almost a banana type seat and I could slide way back or ride more forward and upright. On the new 2006 there is quite a bulky junction between the rear and front seat that makes this transitiion not as comfortable or easy.

I have had no problem in tight twisties roads (like Lime creek road- for those of you in the kow in central Texas) dragging the back break, running >5k rpm and blasting our of the corners on the new 2006. You certainly can move around on this bike and make it more comfrotable in the corners- but with the power the FJR has I have not really found it a problem.

I guess I am just a youngster at 42 on this forum- but I really enjoy blasting through the corners at an aggressive, yet close to speed limit law abiding respectiful speed.

happy cinco de Mayo!

john

Just returned a few days ago from a week at the Dragon. My '05 ABS was a pleasure to ride the serious twisties of highway 129. I found the bike a real joy to ride with fine handling for my mediocre riding skills. Regularly scrape the pegs and have no issues with traction coming out of corners, but i did not try full throttle exits (from the apexes) in anything but third gear, and that was on the rare corner of the dragon where I could actually properly ride the beast in 3rd gear thru a corner. Rode the road wet one of the days there, and the ABS really goes a long way in notching up confidence, even tho I ran slower obviously on the wet road. Saw about 4 other FJR's there during the week, all blue, except for one odd duck silver one.

Riding on Pirelli Diablo Stradas, very impressed and satisfied with their prformance and wear, particularly impressed with the durability of the front tire to stand up to the stress of hard cornering. My previous Metz Z4 front tire was worn down 'VERY quickly with hard cornering.

Last edited:
Just returned a few days ago from a week at the Dragon. My '05 ABS was a pleasure to ride the serious twisties of highway 129. I found the bike a real joy to ride with fine handling for my mediocre riding skills. Regularly scrape the pegs and have no issues with traction coming out of corners, but i did not try full throttle exits (from the apexes) in anything but third gear, and that was on the rare corner of the dragon where I could actually properly ride the beast in 3rd gear thru a corner. Rode the road wet one of the days there, and the ABS really goes a long way in notching up confidence, even tho I ran slower obviously on the wet road. Saw about 4 other FJR's there during the week, all blue, except for one odd duck silver one.Riding on Pirelli Diablo Stradas, very impressed and satisfied with their prformance and wear, particularly impressed with the durability of the front tire to stand up to the stress of hard cornering. My previous Metz Z4 front tire was worn down 'VERY quickly with hard cornering.
Glad to hear about the Diablo Stradas, just installed a set myself. Just a small point re the thread. The FJR has enough power and torque to wash out the front end or break loose the rear, use it judiciously, preferably as you reduce your lean angle when exiting a corner! Try it at extreme lean angles at you own risk!

Just returned a few days ago from a week at the Dragon. My '05 ABS was a pleasure to ride the serious twisties of highway 129. I found the bike a real joy to ride with fine handling for my mediocre riding skills. Regularly scrape the pegs and have no issues with traction coming out of corners, but i did not try full throttle exits (from the apexes) in anything but third gear, and that was on the rare corner of the dragon where I could actually properly ride the beast in 3rd gear thru a corner. Rode the road wet one of the days there, and the ABS really goes a long way in notching up confidence, even tho I ran slower obviously on the wet road. Saw about 4 other FJR's there during the week, all blue, except for one odd duck silver one.

Riding on Pirelli Diablo Stradas, very impressed and satisfied with their prformance and wear, particularly impressed with the durability of the front tire to stand up to the stress of hard cornering. My previous Metz Z4 front tire was worn down 'VERY quickly with hard cornering.
Glad to hear about the Diablo Stradas, just installed a set myself. Just a small point re the thread. The FJR has enough power and torque to wash out the front end or break loose the rear, use it judiciously, preferably as you reduce your lean angle when exiting a corner! Try it at extreme lean angles at you own risk!
I give the same advice to not corner hard with high rpms. I spun up an XS1100 out of a corner 2 up and the FJR has lot mote torque and power.