seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timk

timk
Reaction score
Well, after 40 years of riding, I'm ready to take the punge for a seat or a mod for my seat. After 614 miles in the saddle Sunday, my cast iron ass was really in pain, wife's also. My wife and I have in the past done several 5-800 mile days, but this was brutal. 1st question, has anyone had any luck installing gel pads under the stock seats. I found a source for gel pads at a reasonable price, and am lookin at this posibility first. 2nd , which aftermarket seats, that DO NOT require you to send them your seat do any of you use with a vast improvment over the stocker? Have any of you tried a upolstery shop, maybe, and changed out a layer of foam rubber? I'm really lost as what I want, firmer or softer. Tried beaded cusions, worked on the tourers that I've owned but no help on the FJR. Any other suggestions will be considered. Hate to start making the short trips a 2 day affair. BTW, I'm 5'11" 170 lbs. Thanks

Check out the parts section.
Better yet, SEARCH the parts section. And Mods, MOVE this thread to the parts section...

Corbin makes seats that don't require your pan. If you ride an '06, the Corbin seat removes the ability to adjust the seat up and down. And the Corbin for the '06 is about 1.5 inches lower than the lowest setting on the stock seat. Now, if you have an earlier FJR, Corbin has different choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
timk - I found the stock seat torture as did Lorie. Got the Rick Mayer seats in leather and they're great. I'm 5'10" and 180. He builds and sends you seats (after you send him measurements/pictures) and w/i 30 days you send him your stock seats. I'm happy with these seats, but then others are happy with other makers seats they've bought. Good luck in your decision!

"I don't want it good. I want it Thursday!" (quote from "Warner" from the old Warner Bro's Studio days).

If you want something "significantly better" then custom is the only way to go. If you want a different off-the-rack seat that is designed for a different "agerage rider" than the OEM one, then there are lots of options.

After years of "cheap fixes" that were fast and cheap, but never really "fixed" anything, I jumped in on a Russell seat. If I'd done it in the first place, I'd have saved money and been happier. After learning that the hard (and expensive) way, I went with Russell out the gate with my FJR.

+1 on the custom. Just got mine redone at Rich's in Seattle yesterday, and I'm really happy with it so far, though it still needs broken in.

Got this titanium colored carbon fiber look leather:

178680359_739d77711c.jpg

The Sargent seat is made on a new seat pan and the front and rear seats both have extra storage space in them. A passenger back rest is available as well.

I recently did a 2700 mile, 9 day trip. No butt problems.

Sargent World Sport seat for the FJR1300

Please note the link in my signature about the FJR Forum discount.

For my 2 cents, I had the Sargent and sold it after 2 rides. I got the heated Corbin and LOVE it. Best Corbin I'v ever had. Check it out.

+1 on the custom. Just got mine redone at Rich's in Seattle yesterday, and I'm really happy with it so far, though it still needs broken in.

That looks nice! :thumbsup: I might have to run up to Rich's and get my 90,000 mile seat recovered...

dougc

--

Stayton, Oregon

www.fjr1300.ws

178680359_739d77711c.jpg
Very nice seat Jeff, did you ride up for a fitting? If so. how long did it take? Price?

Bill

178680359_739d77711c.jpg
Very nice seat Jeff, did you ride up for a fitting? If so. how long did it take? Price?

Bill
Bill,

Yes I rode in. I wanted to make sure I got the best fit possible prior to heading to San Diego later this month. I made the appointment about 3 weeks ago. Rich and his team were doing 3 bikes and a scooter at once - a Ducati, a nice BMW, the FJR, and the Vespa. I got there about 9:30am and left around 4 or 5pm. I think in his "off" season (October or so), I'd have gotten done much faster. I have more pictures of the process if anyone is interested, though they're similar to what's been posted elsewhere. The funniest parts of the day where 1) when Rich stuck a "It's not illegal to be a biker" bumper sticker on the trunk of the Vespa - the young lady that owned it looked mortified and B) when we were entertained by a CD Rich had with lounge versions of heavy metal done by Pat Boone.

It took about 3 hours or so just for the fitting, including a test ride that felt SO good - the sore spots on my butt actually seemed to be fading as I was doing the test ride. After that, the delay came from the back up with them sewing custom covers for each of the bikes. The Ducati had to have half the bodywork taken off to remove the seat - and with the owner's permission, Rich reworked it so it was just a pulloff seat, no bodywork removal necessary.

Total was a little over $600, I believe (don't have the receipt right in front of me). Would have been less for a vinyl cover. I think Rich's closing line justifies the cost - "If you're happy with it, tell your friends. If you're not happy with it, tell me, because I stand behind my work and I'll make it right."

Despite my sore rear end from the ride up, I did the ride back in one shot, no breaks (190 miles or so). I feel like I have A LOT more support around the back and sides of my butt, and he dug out some material under my "sit bones" to avoid those hot spots, then placed a thick gel pad in as well. He said it'd be a little hard at first, but give it 500-1000 miles to break in so the leather could stretch and soften.

Dougc - a straight recover would be done a lot faster and be less costly... Rich mentioned to someone else that they could do those easily.

He's dedicated to his customers - as I was heading out, a couple came in on BMW GS's. They were late - they just bought the bikes and had intended to get the seats done, then ride home to Alaska. The shop closed at 5:30pm, but Rich had no intention of leaving before the job was done.