Seattle area leather jacket recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBlue

Arrhythmia and Blues
Reaction score
My 10 year old Icon Motorhead leather jacket has no zipper holds left...every damn one has broken off...pot metal maybe...i'm using paper clips....I'm not impressed as i only wear it 3-4 months a year here in texico, but its seen its share of cold/wet weather...i'm very interested in the newer Alpinestars or Dianese but as i'm moving to the mountains east of seattle, cle elum area, i'm curious what y'all would recommend..i use frog togs in the rain and ride alot in it here, but its still few and far between compared to the PNW...i love riding in wet weather with the fjr too...i slide around like gary mccoy !!!...levels the playing field too.....i guess i better look into pinlocks for my arai's as well...What say ye ? i'm 5'7" and 155...

Bobby

Cycle gear is a good place
smile.png
Is this Lynnwood Cycle Gear?

If so, I've not been impressed with the quality of the goods on the shelf.

Speaking of Lynnwood, try Bent Bike. They will either have NOTHING even close to what you want, or they will have EXACTLY the thing you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.triumphofseattle.com/

Lynnwood, WA

Talk with Kim (425) 774-3538 Very knowledgeable and large selection. [Tell Kim that Dave Black sent you her way and she will give you a discount.]

https://www.i-90motorsports.com/

Issaquah, WA [Yamaha dealer]

I 90 will be closer for you and they also have a good selection but not as knowledgeable as Kim.

(425) 391-4490

My $.02 Bobby.

For the weather we ride in the PNWet, ditch the leather and find yourself a quality well armored waterproof textile jacket / pants. I ride in my textile winter gear 8 months of the year and just add liners or electrics depending on temperature.

BTW, keep an eye on the PNW section for the spring Tech Day announcement. Opportunity to meet us locals and get some maintenance work done.

--G

I wear leathers anytime I ride and carry a lightweight REI gortex two piece suit I can out over the leathers when it rains. I had an Aerostitch suit, but I just didn't like the feel. It comes from my roadracing days and wearing leathers for that.

I have a Dianese Titanium two piece suit that has a zip in liner for the upper when it is cold. I don't wear any heated gear, but I usually don't ride past the end of October and start riding again in late April.

I'll get a tech meet announcement out about mid February, it probably will be the first or second weekend in May.

What escapeartist said. Cold plus rain plus wind in the PNW is no fun and makes for miserable long distance riding. A good textile jacket is the way to go. If Motoport is spendy, consider visiting South Sound BMW and checking out sale versions of their BMW riding gear. Well made.

I'm also with escapefjrtist on this one.

A well made textile is is going to protect as well as leather in the same price range. The textile will be a more user friendly garment in a wider range of weather conditions.

Thank Y'all so much for the replies !

I suppose i wasn't being very clear or concise in retrospect....i wont actually be moving to Seattle, Cle Elum area, until late September...but i really appreciate everyones input.... i like doing business locally and clothes off the rack generally dont fit well...its my neanderthal genes....so waiting may be a good option and way to pay it forward !

I wear a JR Phoenix mesh jacket 70% of the year here and also have a JR 3/4 length touring coat i wore from tejas to maine and back in '05 and they both work really well but i started with a belstaff and bates leathers and wish i still had 'em...i cant do the aerostitch suits either but the idea of putting myself into a jacket over a jacket over a liner prolly rules out the leathers next time...there are so many cool techno waterproof ones now and they will be undoubtably better in my new aqua environs...i welcome it though...i have dust stuck to dust bonded with plastic...

Cant wait to meet y'all !

Bobby

If you are only here until late September, you will be on the dry side of the mountains. I would get what ever works best for you in Texas and pick up some type of lightweight rain gear if you need too.

Are you arriving in September or staying until September?

AuburnFJR is right, for summer riding, you'll want to use what you use in Texas. Eastern Washington has its fair share of desert.

However, Fall and Winter in Eastern Washington is a different thing altogether. In Cle Elum, you'll need to expect cold, windy, wet weather with a fair chance of snow.

I don't know much about the motorcycle shops in the Cle Elum area, but I suspect there are some. You should also be able to find some shops in Ellensburg as well.

Thanks Lauren, I'm arriving mid September ! Looks like i get to buy all kinds of new clothes and riding gear this fall ! I'm really excited by the prospect of so much varied geography so close....and in my dilapidated condition cold and wet is better than hot and wet. I rode around king county on a triumph 650 back in '79 but only for a couple months in summer....and i was hooked ! also spent time in portland , y'all should bottle the mountain air.... fortunately my bike has lived outside his whole life and at 10 i'm getting into some interesting electrical crosstalk...my horns change key...its really cool...live doppler....when it happens....so it'll be good to redo all the connectors and prepare them for the water...

Thanks again,

Bobby

Great riding around the Cle Elum area, you're going to have a blast!

--G
As G said, the riding is great. Cle Elum is near the hub of many great highways that twist through the mountains.

Before the weather closes in, you'll want to do the Great Circle over Highway 2 going one direction, and then Highway 20 (North Cascades Highway) going the other. The Eastern side of the circle is closed up by 97, and the West side is can be closed up by a number of different routes.