Second Look Tank Skin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster19

Reaction score
I like the look of this tank skin (and think it will cover my small knee dent when bike started to fall on me :( I like and use my Yamaha tang bag daily and was wondering if anyone is running this combo (is there enough magnets still touching metal to keep it in place)? Also, how does it actually attatch and what is needed to instal it?

Link to tank skin:

https://second-look.com/store/product799.html

Thanks for you input,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own a magnetic tank bag (but my friend does) or that tank skin, so take this with a grain of salt....

I would think any magnets not able to grip the tank would be bad. Depending on weight in the bag you could loose the load in a turn and then you could have ADD and crash trying to save the bag. I would think that as long as all the magnets are making contact you're good to go.

I had a tank bra on my Duc and it had a couple elastic straps that went forward a bit and hooked under a rubber bumper between the tank and frame, not sure about this one.....

Also E-mail the place and ask them how it mounts etc.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the look of this tank skin (and think it will cover my small knee dent when bike started to fall on me :( I like and use my Yamaha tang bag daily and was wondering if anyone is running this combo (is there enough magnets still touching metal to keep it in place)? Also, how does it actually attatch and what is needed to instal it?
Link to tank skin:

https://second-look.com/store/product799.html

Thanks for you input,

Dave
Let me know how you like the Tank Skin if you get it.

Robert

I have that tank skin (minus the "FJR" logo) and have used a motofizz magnetic bag with it. No worries, works fine.

(FYI, I have a Gen II bike, and that will make a slight difference in installation) The skin has clips that attach to the bottom of the tank, along the rear seam. You will need to take off the plastic along the bottom rear of the tank to install it. The front of the skin has a small diameter bungie cord that loops around the fornt of the tank. Pretty easy to install.

I have used the Second look tank bra and the Yamaha magnetic tank bag on both my GenI and GenII FJRs with no problems.

I have that tank skin (minus the "FJR" logo) and have used a motofizz magnetic bag with it. No worries, works fine.
(FYI, I have a Gen II bike, and that will make a slight difference in installation) The skin has clips that attach to the bottom of the tank, along the rear seam. You will need to take off the plastic along the bottom rear of the tank to install it. The front of the skin has a small diameter bungie cord that loops around the fornt of the tank. Pretty easy to install.
Do you have any pics, also you said you will have to remove the plastic along bottom of tank, does this get reinstalled one skin is on or you leave it off?

Do you have any pics, also you said you will have to remove the plastic along bottom of tank, does this get reinstalled one skin is on or you leave it off?

Just got off the phone with Second Look. They make a full tank skin for 06 and newer. The lady wasn't sure but knows you must remove the small side panels to install on the the 06 and newer. Even if you have to remove these on all models it's not hard to do. They of course will be put back once tank skin is installed.

Dave