Sena SMH and modular helmet question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I need your experience:

getting ready to step into the wireless world of MC commo with the Sena SMH10

I have a Scorpion EXO900 modular.

the kit i have is the universal kit like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10-11-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B0087NB088/ref=pd_sim_auto_5

I'm planning to change the base to the one that allows me to use earbuds

my question is this:

there are two options for the base.

the SMH-AO303 which is a boom mic attached to the base

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0303-Helmet-Clamp-Earbuds/dp/B003YD3O7G/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

and the SMH-AO304 which is the boom mic that attaches inside the padding of the helmet or has a wired mic.

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0304-Earbuds-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B003YD0YTM/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

any experience or wisdom on which one works best in the modular??

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed on a Shoei Neotec Modular... and installed it fixed on the inside of the helmet. works great and allows you to use the mic with the modular helmet open

The one where the boom mic is not attached is in case you can't mount the unit far forward enough.

We have the Stock one, the one where the mic is attached mounted to our Scorpion Exo-900's and it works fine, no problem on the mounting location or routing the cables. I am guessing that is what you're referring to as the Exo-1000/1100 is a solid helmet and you said you have a modular. I have the detached mic one mounted to my Shoei Qwest, I like the little mic , instead of the boom for that helmet.

There is a slot on the Exo-900 that the detached mic can be routed through for a little cleaner install also if you go the earbud route.

Personally I'd go with the detached mic for the EXO-900, it gives you more options... Check out that little mic-slot on the right hand side, if that is the helmet you have.

I was examining the same thing. Boom mike or separate universal mike? I bought the standard SMH10 with the boom mike attached. If I recall they're cheaper. Shown below is the unit mounted to my Shoei Neotec Modular. I mounted the Sena about as far forward as I felt was possible. I might have been able to push it forward another inch or so if needed, but I like it where it is. I have it adjusted so that I can bend it outward just an inch when I want to take off the helmet, and just swing it back in when I want to put it back on. It's real easy to do. The helmet can be set on a table without touching or affecting the mike position. As you know, I can remove the Sena itself from the helmet with just the touch of the button. The mount and the mike are real stable.

CIMG1485.jpg

Below, I can close the lid without moving the boom mike and it opens and closes easily. You can just see the tip of the microphone just to the left of my mouth.

CIMG1486-1.jpg

Below, here's another pic of the mike location. If you look carefully you can see where the mike sits next to my face as I ride. It's in a perfect position as it doesn't touch my face in that location and is protected from most of the wind movement.

CIMG1480.jpg

Thought you might like to see how the boom mike fits and looks on a modular helmet. One nice thing about using a boom mike vs. using a universal mike is that I can move it out away from my face... by just rotating it down below my chin... if I get tired of sniffing it or just don't want it in the helmet for awhile.

Gary

darksider #44

I have the same helmet as you EXO900 with the Sena set-up and am using the interior mic (the one with the flexible stalk). I have it mounted so it utilizes the interior indentation that SaltCreep mentioned in his post. I tried the exterior mic and it worked fine but I just like the clean install of the interior mic better. Also, I started out using the earbud mount but switched to the helmet speakers as I got tired of having to take the extra steps to put in/take out the earbuds at every stop. The speakers work well for me and I think the sound it great but there are two minor mods I had to make to make everything fit the EXO900 properly.

1. I had to cut out a small piece of the black plastic lip where the headset mounts/clamps to the helmet. I did it with a dremel and cutoff wheel. Otherwise the clamp bends the plastic lip when you tighten it and it doesn't feel very secure. Probably could have done it with a razor knife but the dremel was just easier and cleaner.Just make sure you have the clamp positioned exactly where you want it and make a mark on each side. It was only about 1.5 inches or so that needed to be removed.

2. If you decide to use the speakers they don't quite fit into the round recesses in the interior polystyrene and so I had to cut them out a little also. Razor knife made quick work of it and they only need be slightly enlarged.

Quite pleased with the set-up and then put the same exact set-up on my wife's helmet which is also an EXO900. Sorry for the lack of pictures but if you have any questions let me know.