Sena SMH10 Connection Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced the problem where the Control Unit doesn't seat very well with the helmet bracket and unless you jiggle and jack with the unit you only hear sound out of one ear?

I'm made absolutely sure to press it in until the unit positively latches at the top. When I switch control units between my helmet and my wife's the problem stays with my helmet so it must be the bracket. Do you think spraying some type of dielectric grease/spray would help the conductivity of the connection?

No issue with the unit seating in the bracket, but I did have one unit that would intermittently only have sound out of one channel. Swapping units between helmets showed the problem was consistently with the unit and not the bracket it was attached to.

Sent it back to Sena and they replaced it under warranty.
smile.png

Pretty good folks to deal with.

When I installed my SMH10, I used a rubber piece as a shim between the helmet and the bracket in order to help with the clipping of the unit. Otherwise, the tab that clicks into the bracket would touch the helmet and it would be very difficult to mount it. I'll try and get some pics to show what I mean.

Sent it back to Sena and they replaced it under warranty.
smile.png

Pretty good folks to deal with.
Probably what I'm going to have to do.

When I installed my SMH10, I used a rubber piece as a shim between the helmet and the bracket in order to help with the clipping of the unit. Otherwise, the tab that clicks into the bracket would touch the helmet and it would be very difficult to mount it. I'll try and get some pics to show what I mean.
I picture perfectly what you're saying.

I am a fan of SENA and recently I purchased the latest series units.

IF the bracket is too close to the helmet proper, the BT unit will have troubled clicking in...so move the bracket or adjust it out a frag and the issue goes away, it will clip in without issue. The only real issue I have had with the new SNEA SMH10 is:

I use the ear bud clamp and the dongle that is hard fixed to the BT unit started to fray after only days of use until it stopped working completely! I was really surprised. So I put the second EB clamp I had and use that now. I run the the EB wire forward and down between the BT unit and the mic. This seems to stop the relative flex in the dongle which apparently moves in the wind (according to my missus).

I have been using mine for the last 60/70k miles trouble free. That said, about a month after receiving it the audio would act up. On then Off then ON then Off...... Upon closer examination one of the pins on the unit was sticking and not making good contact. It was replaced without issues.

Keep Going!

I had one helmet mount with intermittent audio (especially in one ear). Within a year so they changed it out for new, no further problems.

I had one helmet mount with intermittent audio (especially in one ear). Within a year so they changed it out for new, no further problems.

Thank you

Thank you

Thanks for the pics. I checked tonight and I have clearance behind the bracket on my helmet. I think at this point I'm going to contact Sena for a repair/replacement.