Sena SMH10 Just Installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
After a bunch of research into bluetooth helmet headsets, I settled on the SENA SMH10. I purchased the dual set in anticipation for an upcoming ride with a buddy of mine. He'll get a chance to test it out and may purchase a set of his own if he likes it. After that ride, the intention is that the second unit will be used for my pillion riders (typically one of my sons). So, my goals for this system were mainly twofold - I was looking for good 2-up or bike-to-bike intercom and I wanted something that I could use to answer my phone while riding. I commute every day on the mc, and it is pretty frustrating when you are expecting a call to feel the phone vibrate on your hip and then look for a place to pull off and return the call. It would be much easier to just answer the call while riding.

When shopping for these units, I was also initially looking for something that I could use with my MP3 player and / or plug my existing earbuds into. I have become a big fan of the sound quality and road noise isolation of the Etymotic er6i ear buds (other have their personal faves, but these work great for me). As near as I could tell, only the Chatterbox allowed for plugging in your own headphones, and I wasn't crazy about some of the other feedback I read about them. I also heard that the next version of the SENA headsets would allow for using your own earbuds, but I needed to pull the trigger to get these before my trip and didn't want to wait on a rumor.

I had heard that the sound quality and volume from the SMH10 was very good, and I have found that to be true. In my first real test of them to date (just installed one on my helmet last night), I called a friend before leaving the house this morning and talked with him for 1/2 of my commute. The sound quality was excellent on both ends (after I moved the microphone slightly). I was still wearing my Etymotic earbuds connected to my MP3 player, which I had paused during the call, and I could still have a clear and normal conversation over the phone. When the call was done, I pushed play on the MP3 player, and everything was just the same as it has always been. I had my windshield down in the lowest position (which produces the most wind noise) and could still hear very well. My friend noted that he could not hear any background noise. The microphone is very directional and needs to be placed close to the lips when talking. When I pushed it back up against the chin bar he said my voice was too soft. Since the microphone is on a boom and not fixed to the inside of the helmet, you can move it around even while riding to find the best position.

While this wasn't the way I had originally thought I was going use a helmet headset, I think it actually for the best. By not piping the music through the SENA set, I am not using any of its battery power to relay the signal. I can still hear the incoming call, press pause on the player and answer the phone.

I did try connecting the MP3 player to the SENA headset, and it worked OK. However, the sound was a bit tinny compared to what I am used to and it didn't seem like the volume would have been loud enough if I were wearing foam earplugs.

So, my initial impressions are very positive :yahoo: . I haven't had a chance to try the intercom features yet, but I will add to this post when I do.

THANKS for the review...I am very interested in the Sena as a bike to bike system based on Jeff Ashe's posts...so I will definitely be interested in your upcoming posts as well.

I did a little 2-up riding this weekend with my middle son and found the intercom feature works great. Both of us were listening to music piped directly to etymotic er6i earplug (my earplug of choice both for their noise isolation and quality music reproduction) and only used the SMH10 for intercom / cell phone bluetooth duties. The speakers are thin enough to fit in our helmets without putting undo pressure on your ears or touching the earplugs. As thin as they are, they still are loud enough to be heard over the earplugs (even with the music on at moderate volume) to be heard well. Typically, when my son would say something, I would pause the music to focus on the conversation, but the volume was sufficient to hear him ask the question.

The only test remaining (for my purposes at least) is the bike to bike test. I will be hooking up with a friend for a multi-day ride at the end of the month and he is going to borrow the second headset. Will report back after we have had a chance to put them through their paces.

So far, I am very pleased with this choice. I am particularly impressed with the apparent build quality, the large jog dial (easy to manipulate with gloves on) and the ease of use. If I have any complaint at this point it would be that in reading the fine print in the manual I learned that the batteries are non-replaceable (at least by the user - not sure if you can ship them back to Sena for replacement or not). However, I am guessing that by the time the batteries are spent there will be other newer technologies out there to consider. Plus, you can always tether the units to a power source on the bike using an included car type charger.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Just a quick follow up to this thread that I started a short while ago. I have just completed a week long trip to the Great Lakes with a riding buddy of mine and we both agree - this set up is da bomb! :D They worked flawlessly throughout the trip. The range was great (about 1/2 mile), the sound quality was excellent, and battery life was as advertised - nearly all day. We made sure they would last the day by plugging them in and sticking them in my tank bag during lunch. I like the form factor - the jog dial is very easy to manipulate while riding with gloves on and we experienced no problems.

One interesting note - during initial set up, I must have goofed because I originally set them to vox mode (meaning they will turn themselves on and off automatically when you start to talk). At speed, there is enough wind noise that this mode pretty much stays on all the time. It also degrades battery life by having them 'live' all the time, but I was surprised when they still lasted nearly all day. I was smart enough to bring the manual with me and was able to set it back to 'normal' mode (push the button to begin the conversation and the connection stays live until one of the riders presses the button again to terminate the conversation). Full duplex mode works great and while I have never used a CB radio based comm system on a bike, I think this would beat it hands down for close riding communications. If you need range greater than 1/2 mile, Bluetooth isn't going to work for you. But if your needs are like mine, this set up works great.

YMMV, yadda yadda

Just a quick follow up to this thread that I started a short while ago. I have just completed a week long trip to the Great Lakes with a riding buddy of mine and we both agree - this set up is da bomb! :D They worked flawlessly throughout the trip. The range was great (about 1/2 mile), the sound quality was excellent, and battery life was as advertised - nearly all day. We made sure they would last the day by plugging them in and sticking them in my tank bag during lunch. I like the form factor - the jog dial is very easy to manipulate while riding with gloves on and we experienced no problems.

One interesting note - during initial set up, I must have goofed because I originally set them to vox mode (meaning they will turn themselves on and off automatically when you start to talk). At speed, there is enough wind noise that this mode pretty much stays on all the time. It also degrades battery life by having them 'live' all the time, but I was surprised when they still lasted nearly all day. I was smart enough to bring the manual with me and was able to set it back to 'normal' mode (push the button to begin the conversation and the connection stays live until one of the riders presses the button again to terminate the conversation). Full duplex mode works great and while I have never used a CB radio based comm system on a bike, I think this would beat it hands down for close riding communications. If you need range greater than 1/2 mile, Bluetooth isn't going to work for you. But if your needs are like mine, this set up works great.

YMMV, yadda yadda
Ok this sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. Now, where did you get it and how much, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

Ed

I got mine just recently from from Alex/Cougar8000... a fellow member. I love my Sena Unit that I just tested B2B with my son on his XJ600...I loved it. If you're interested in supporting a fellow member...send Alex a PM.

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting these to upgrade from the Cardo Scala teamset. They are pretty good but getting long in the tooth compared to the Sena system.

Best price I've seen is here Sena set

I purchased my set on Amazon.com from a vendor named RadioRider.com. Seemed to be the best price from an advertized authorized reseller at the time. I wanted to make sure I purchased from an authorized reseller rather just a guy who bought a pile to sell on eBay or something, just in case there was a problem. Thankfully - no problems to report and I am still very pleased with the purchase.

FYI - payed ~$269 for the dual set.

Bought Dual headsets from Cyclebots for $249 this month. I got $15 off using advrider in the coupon box. Shipping is free on orders over $75.