Service Manual Falling Apart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proteus1952

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Many of you folks own the FJR Service Manual. The darn thing is about 2 inches thick and the spine is not as sturdy as it should be. My 11 year old manual is beginning to come apart with pages becoming detached from the spine. I've googled for book repair services and what I find are outfits that seem to only deal with typical books with a traditional sturdy spine. The only solution that comes to my mind is to drill through the manual in three spots near the spine and place the manual into a three ring binder.

Anyone out there solved this problem in a better way?

Many of you folks own the FJR Service Manual. The darn thing is about 2 inches thick and the spine is not as sturdy as it should be. My 11 year old manual is beginning to come apart with pages becoming detached from the spine. I've googled for book repair services and what I find are outfits that seem to only deal with typical books with a traditional sturdy spine. The only solution that comes to my mind is to drill through the manual in three spots near the spine and place the manual into a three ring binder.

Anyone out there solved this problem in a better way?

Contact one of the office supply retailers (Office Max, Office Depot, Staples...etc.) or maybe a FedEx or UPS print center.
They may be able to slice the paper spine off the pages and 3 hole drill the pages so it can be put in a 3 ring binder.
Another choice is coil binding the pages.

That's what I was told when I called.

dan

Mine is coil bound in two volumes. Easier to use as it stays open where you want it. Less likely to tear out compared to hole punch and 3 ring binder.

One possibility that comes to mind, separate all the pages, put each into a clear plastic sleeve, they come with holes in the sleeve for putting in a ring binder. This way you can take just the pages you want to use into the garage, and the paper is protected against greasy fingermarks.

Pic below is a page from one of my photo index folders.
(Click on image for larger view)

It adds a little thickness, but well worth it for ease of use and safe handling - though it takes time to feed all the pages into the sleeves.

You might consider having it scanned and turned into a .pdf file. Easy to search for terms etc. You can always print a few pages to take into the shop as needed when ‘only paper will do’.
Coil binding is a better choice over 3 ring binder style if you stick with paper.
-Steve

You might consider having it scanned and turned into a .pdf file. Easy to search for terms etc. You can always print a few pages to take into the shop as needed when ‘only paper will do’.
-Steve

Not much need in scanning your own pages when there are already pirated PDF manuals out there for free or cheap.
After all you already paid your royalties to Yamaha when you bought the official paper copy!

I use one of those pirated PDF copies when I post answers / information on the forum or elsewhere, but for me, only the paper copy will do at home or in the garage!

YMMV

I like RossKean solution for a worn-out binding. Maybe even having each section coil bound separately. It doesn't cost very much, and it would make it easier to have multiple pages open for those times when the manual says see some other section for more information.

dan

Spine removed, mine lives in a big three-ring binder. I do like some of the other ideas posted...might be time to visit the print shop.

~G

Contact one of the office supply retailers (Office Max, Office Depot, Staples...etc.) or maybe a FedEx or UPS print center.
They may be able to slice the paper spine off the pages and 3 hole drill the pages so it can be put in a 3 ring binder.

dan

Excellent ideas and suggestions from all of you. I will likely go with the coil bound method.

This forum has saved me again and again.

dan
I had that down to an old Goldwing manual, and it was surprisingly cheap, too!