Service Manual for my Canadian '06 'A" model

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
So I bought a manual in the US. It was less expensive (as are all things Motorcycle) than up here.

How foolish of me to believe that there would be ONE service manual for all of the '06 versions. Kawasaki does it that way. The Triumph I had also had but one manual. Never bought ones for the Hondas so I can't comment. Yamaha does it differently.

Certainly the one I bought covers the 'A' and 'AE', but only the US version and NOT the Canadian or Euro ones.

I can't return it - so should I just keep it for what's common (how often will I need to service the transponder key system? And aside from that, the speedo and odometer what's different anyway?)

I seek recommendations from the group.

So I bought a manual in the US. It was less expensive (as are all things Motorcycle) than up here.
How foolish of me to believe that there would be ONE service manual for all of the '06 versions. Kawasaki does it that way. The Triumph I had also had but one manual. Never bought ones for the Hondas so I can't comment. Yamaha does it differently.

Certainly the one I bought covers the 'A' and 'AE', but only the US version and NOT the Canadian or Euro ones.

I can't return it - so should I just keep it for what's common (how often will I need to service the transponder key system? And aside from that, the speedo and odometer what's different anyway?)

I seek recommendations from the group.
I have the Canadian version, perhaps we can do a comparison and see how much of a difference there is - I doubt it's a whole lot.

I have the Canadian version, perhaps we can do a comparison and see how much of a difference there is - I doubt it's a whole lot.
Thanks for the offer to compare - but where to start? I suspect that any differences are pretty subtle - though the major issues will relate to the immobiliser (as said) and the speedo/odometer packages.

The latter shouldn't be an issue, but the immobiliser implies that the wiring diagrams and perhaps the troubleshooting, error codes and disassembly instructions will be different. However the mechanicals and general maintenance and such will be identical - part numbers don't come from the manual (or do they? I haven't looked at it all that closely).

I wonder why would they print different manuals for the Canadian, US and Euro versions - after all just how many FJRs DID they build for Canada? Maybe 300? 400? How many copies of the manual would they sell anyway? I seem to recall that I saw on the web where the entire Aussie market for the FJR was something significantly less than 100 bikes last year - so why wouldn't they combine all the models into a single manual?

If someone wanted to buy mine I guess I'd bite the bullet, add in the difference and order the proper one - otherwise I'll just use what I've got.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you already hit it, the immobiliser and its wiring.

In the past, I am pretty sure it was only the one manual for North American models.

My 04 manual covers everything, including the California Stds.

I haven't filled my dumbass quotient for the day, so I'll ask. Where the hell does one get a US version of the manual? I seem to be coming up short on any research.

I haven't filled my dumbass quotient for the day, so I'll ask. Where the hell does one get a US version of the manual? I seem to be coming up short on any research.
I guess this would be a good place to start. Yamaha manuals

In the UK they have to print and bind the manuals to order which takes a minimum of 4 weeks, hope the US service is better.

Dave