Setting up SPOT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a little searching, but I couldn't find the answers. So anyways....

What exactly is private and public? I mean are there different levels of each? And if set to public, just how public is it? Conversely, when set to private, how limiting is it to share with others?

What do you folks, who have it, set it to when you are sharing it with your fellow forumites?

Quite honestly, I find the FAQ section to be rather lengthy and not specific enough. Either that or I have ADD and just don't have the patience to go through the trial and error method.

Did a test run last night with it and everything seems to work fine. I'm just not clear about the public/private bits.

So depending on the responces, I'll both thank you now AND apologize if this topic has been beat to death. (but I don't think it has been)

Mike

Public literally means anybody can see your tracks. No password needed to login.

Private requires you to send them a link to a private page and they have to enter a password to see your tracks. You only need one link and one password,and you can give it to as many people as you want. Not sure if more than one person can follow you at the same time though.

Well I can see there's still lots more to it than that. Recently I recieved a link to a person's spot, and it didn't require me having to enter a password. It wasn't until the trip was over that it asked for a password.

Thanks for the help.

Well I can see there's still lots more to it than that. Recently I recieved a link to a person's spot, and it didn't require me having to enter a password. It wasn't until the trip was over that it asked for a password.
Thanks for the help.
Maybe he changed the profile for that trip after he got home. It really isn't that complicated, it only seems that way when you first set things up.

Hmmm, I wonder if we are talking about two different things. My experience is with Spotwalla. Are you using Spotwalla or the stuff provided by SPOT?

Are you using Spotwalla or the stuff provided by SPOT?
Well, both. Primary use will be with Spotwalla, but don't my settings have to be the same with each one? They are linked. So part of my question would be, if I set up SPOT site as private, can I switch between public and private in Spotwalla only and not have to worry about having to go back and change the findmyspot settings for each trip?

Are you using Spotwalla or the stuff provided by SPOT?
Well, both. Primary use will be with Spotwalla, but don't my settings have to be the same with each one? They are linked. So part of my question would be, if I set up SPOT site as private, can I switch between public and private in Spotwalla only and not have to worry about having to go back and change the findmyspot settings for each trip?

Spotwalla uses an API to pull the info from your findmespot page. The only difference between a public and private findmespot page, is that you will need to provide the password to the private page when you set it up in spotwalla.