Seven Day's Off Need Help Planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Mar

Reaction score
I just got an email from my wife that we had seven days for which she wanted me to plane a motorcyle trip :yahoo: . The trip we will be leaving Monday July 2nd from downtown Chicago and have to get back by July 8th. I am struggling on where I want to go. One thought of mine was to plan a trip to the Dakota's to see the Badlands, Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. My other idea was to drive up the western shore of Michigan then head east to Bay City where my wife is from and then head north to Alpena. Any ideas would be so helpfull.

Marcus,

When I am planning a trip with Michelle I usually have to take mileage into consideration because she isn't one for doing 4-600 mile days on the bike day after day. If she rides with you alot, you know what her tolerances are which makes it easier but if she is new to riding I really wouldn't try pushing more than 300 mile days with a couple of rest days thrown in for good measure. Things like weather might play a part also although in July it should be nice. It will make for a nicer trip if you make plenty of stops to check out sights and try to leave your options open so you don't feel like you HAVE to be someplace by the next day. Just my .02 cents.

I'm actually planning a trip for the same week. My SO and I are thinking about heading down to the Ozarks and riding around there for a week. It's not too far and the roads look great through the Mark Twain Nat'l Forest. Last year we rode down to the Blue Ridge and rode the entire Parkway. That might be a bit much if your wife isn't a seasoned passenger on the back of the FJR. I took my GoldWing as she wouldn't last long on the FJR :( . We took 2 days to get to Front Royal, Virginia and rode about 100 miles a day on the Parkway. Then another 2 days to get home. That was 9 days total. Another trip we're thinking about is to ride down to Maggie Valley, NC and take day trips from there. It's a neat town in a great area and there are lots of bike friendly motels there. We stayed there 1 night before riding the Dragon and heading home last year.

Like others have said, give us some idea of how many miles you want to go per day, what type of riding you like to do...scenic vs twisty sport riding or both.

I would hesitate to do the long straight ride out to SD in that amount of time. Let us know what your...or more importantly your wifes preferences are.

I am glad to hand out some free advice when asked :)

Thanks for all the replies. My wife and I did the ride from Chicago - Petoski Michigan two years ago on my RoadStar in a day 1/2 day which from google earth looks like it is 367 miles. So I think around 200 or so miles per day she could handle. As far as style of riding I like the twistys but as my wife will just be getting used to the new "Sport Bike" in her words I am not sure she will be as excited about leaning as must I would. My wife grandparents live in St Louis and it looks like their might be some cool roads down that way. We could make it to St Louis in 4 1/2 hours and stay with the grand parents for day one and then plan from there. I think for my wife the milage is less important than time in the saddle. She usually needs to take a break about every 2 hours or so at the longest.

Also having gone to school in Bloomington IN. I thought about taking the superslab down to Bloomington and then following some of the roads that are mentioned here

My final idea which I have always wanted to do is to try and follow Route 66 out from chicago to however, far I have time to ride. From what I have heard it is not a easy as it would seem. Has anyone here attempted that.

Like others have said, give us some idea of how many miles you want to go per day, what type of riding you like to do...scenic vs twisty sport riding or both.
I would hesitate to do the long straight ride out to SD in that amount of time. Let us know what your...or more importantly your wifes preferences are.

I am glad to hand out some free advice when asked :)

I would second the Ozarks. It will be a bit toasty somewhat there during that time, but you sure can enjoy your self there. If you stop at Hot Springs AR you will have the benefits of both worlds. You can get a nice room over looking the river. Hot bath places sure would be a hit with your wife. And lets not forget the Rt7 and Rt9 in that area.

You might need to slab to like Cuba, MO that is just SW from St. Louis on 44 and rt19. Then take RT19 directly south and you will have a blast. then I think you can pick up 9 and possibly 110 and it will take you to free ferry that will take you into AR.

One thought of mine was to plan a trip to the Dakota's to see the Badlands
Have you been out that way? There is some awesome sightseeing out there, but the trip out there is boooorrrriiiinnnnggggg. At 200 miles a day you will have put a bullet through your skull before you ever get there :dribble:

I love Missouri & Arkanas riding. However, when I am down there, I am usually too busy scrubbing the outside of my tire treads to notice the scenery except art stops like the Cliff House restaurant in Jasper, AR. However...thinking of your wife and her desire to maybe see something scenic, she might want to look at something besides some of the scrubiness you sometimes see in MO/AR. Given how much daily riding you are looking at doing, MO/AR maybe really be your only option - though still a good one for motorcycle roads.

You might want to also consider SE Ohio on the way to West Virginia. There are some good scenic places in both areas.

If you scour the midwest section you will come across previous routes that were used for rides...they may be helpful.

My suggestion would be ride like hell for two days, July 2-3. Log as many miles as you both can reasonably withstand to some destination that's say... 700-800 miles away. Then spend July 4th putting around, shopping and watching fireworks.

That leaves you July 5-8 to take an easier riding route back home. I've used the two days out, three days back rule a few times. The emphasis is to ride hard while you are fresh, without tiring yourselves beyond reason for the return.

Here's a map that's 1,500 miles across to give you a quick visual of where you might reach in two good days of riding.

Chicago700.jpg

Only thing worse than riding southern Missouri in July is riding it in August. Hot, hot.

I'd have to go north, I think, unless I had to have those twisty roads.

My wife doesn't ride far or often. After 300 miles all day in the heat, she is wilted, and I have to take that into account when she wants to ride with me.

B)

How about a loop around Lake Michigan or Huron ? Pretty close to home yet a total change of scenery, not too many miles, & a chance to say hello to our Northern neighbors...