SHAD 45 top case falling off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crostie

Reaction score
Just wondering if any owners with the SHAD 45 topcase have encountered their case falling off. Last week we were on a 800 km trip, when riding at 100kph with a moderate crosswind blew my case off. We were almost home when this happened, thank god no one got hurt or hit the case. I find that these cases are either positively locked or not.....no half way. SHAD marketing director suggested it wasn't properly latched. I've used it within the past couple years on various trips with no issues. They are saying this is the first that they have heard of a case falling off. Would appreciate anyone encountering this scenario to reply. Thanks , Crostie

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of it, but in any event my Givi case is locked positively through both the case and the mounting plate and secured with an R-Clip for quick removal.

The flying trunk phenomenon is not restricted to just Shad cases. Seems that Givi trunks have been trying to escape for a long time as well. That's why I came up with a $3 method to quickly secure the trunk to the mounting plate using a common 3/8" clevis pin and a hitch pin.

I'm sure that something similar could be done with the Shad setup

I have a Shad 45, used it the past 1.5 years (22k miles) abd no issues. It does, however require one to make sure it is correctly seated in the mount to ensure the latch is engaged completely.

I'm planning to pin my E55, though it's rock solid in the SR357 rack. Can't find info on pinning side bags. I'd like to do that too.

Just wondering if any owners with the SHAD 45 topcase have encountered their case falling off. Last week we were on a 800 km trip, when riding at 100kph with a moderate crosswind blew my case off. We were almost home when this happened, thank god no one got hurt or hit the case. I find that these cases are either positively locked or not.....no half way. SHAD marketing director suggested it wasn't properly latched. I've used it within the past couple years on various trips with no issues. They are saying this is the first that they have heard of a case falling off. Would appreciate anyone encountering this scenario to reply. Thanks , Crostie
After retrieving the trunk, did it lock securely to the rack?

If so, maybe they were right about the trunk not being securely latched.

Not familiar with Shads locking system but is it possible that dirt or corrosion in the latching mechanism prevented the latch from securing properly?

Nothing against the belt and suspenders approach of pinning the trunk, but if everything is functioning properly it shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, we have deadbolts on our entrance doors, even though the door knobs all have locks.
wink.png
Good point.

I was just curious about the cause of the failure of the topcase to stay attached. I'm sure Shad didn't design them to randomly leave the motorcycle.

I can only think of 3 possibilities.

1. Case not properly secured. Operator error.

2. Latch pushed into locking position but failed to latch due to dirt or corrosion in the mechanism or possibly a bent part in the mechanism.

3. Base plate problem. Either it flexed enough due to rough roads to allow the case to come loose, or the latch receiver somehow was broken or bent.

with my SH50, I find it's either on or it's not. If the pin isn't fully engaged, the lever under the handle won't close enough for the key to turn, except when it's completely off the rack. On the off chance it's not on the rack, I've always been in the habit of lifting up on the handle just a bit to make sure it's secure. Doesn't take much, just a quick tug. (That's what she said!)

Oh, and the base plate. I don't think it's quite as sturdy as the SR357, but it is pretty solid for just being plastic. Mounted properly, there shouldn't be any flex in that at all.

I appreciate everyones comments, amazingly the case remained in one piece @100kph. I thoroughly inspected lock mechanism and latch on base plate. I'm a mechanic who is pretty anal about what caused this case to come off. I rode 750 kph(450 miles for my American friends) back home in winds and no problems.

Lock mechanism was clean and lubed one a year. The only suspicion I have is that the plastic base plate latched flexed causing case to come off. For a piece of mind I added a 3/8" carriage bolt through my case and base plate with a locknut . Fred W, I will be using your bolt and hitch pin come Monday at work. Thanks again boys.

Regards, Crostie