Shad or GIVI

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalan

Reaction score
I just cant decide on which? I want a 42 to 46. Where to buy? Help? For a black cherry. I like Yamaha but Jeez... PRICE!

why did you buy what you bought and where and why? Thanks,

Tim

Givi because of the looks, with a color matched lid on my '07. Mounted on a custom rack from a forum member (I forget wich one atm). Picked up the Givi at Road Riders in San Jose.

Beware the dogpile :p

Givi because of the looks, with a color matched lid on my '07. Mounted on a custom rack from a forum member (I forget wich one atm). Picked up the Givi at Road Riders in San Jose.
Beware the dogpile :p
Yeah, Never been dog piled. But the more the marryaryier.

On another note. Box will likely be off most of the time. So I would like it to look good without the thing on there also.

I got the Shad because of the price - trunk, brakelight and FJR specific mount for less than $300. You can also get a color matching plate with the shad, although I think trunks are ugly no matter what. :) I can't directly compare build qualities, but the shad is certainly sturdy enough. I got mine from cosmopolitan motors.

I got the Shad because of the price - trunk, brakelight and FJR specific mount for less than $300. You can also get a color matching plate with the shad, although I think trunks are ugly no matter what. :) I can't directly compare build qualities, but the shad is certainly sturdy enough. I got mine from cosmopolitan motors.
Gunny

Got my Shad48 from Claudio at Adventuremotousa in Florida

Shad top box has a better profile IMO

timalan, I also have a Shad top box on my bike, I really like the look of the box itself (that is if you need to ride around with one on for any reason). I also ordered a top plate in Silver that accented my 06 AE very nicely color wise. As far as cost I paid around $300.00 with the top plate and the box although I did order the brake light at a later date from someone else beside Cosmopolitin Motors just because they had the light ready to ship and in stock. All of the boxes from what I've seen seem to be made very well (but I don't know if the Yammie Box is worth that much jingle or not just to keep everything 100% Yammie). I have the 46 and it will fit a full face helmet in the middle with no problem, and it goes on and off of the mounting bracket easily (which is included with the Shad box, I don't know about the others)

When you add any box I think others may or may not agree but I found the bike seems to catch more wind at higher speeds (65 mph or so) so you may notice the difference with it on the bike verses with it off. It's really nothing to fear because the box being on the bike doesn't really hamper the handeling much at all, but like I said you may notice it. Some have said the Yamaha box is really bad, but I wouldn't know because I don't have one on mine. I think they are all nice, you just gotta figure which one you want and how much you can afford.

I have the GIVI 46 with a GIVI mount..came with the bike..bought my previous Bike Concours with a 46 monokey already on it aswell....they both worked real great...and real easy to use.

Here's the Shad 46L, I believe..... Group Buy, anyone? B)

Shad1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Shad! Mike from Cosmo is a character and knows his stuff...

I called Cosmo a week ago after emailing Mike the previous week to order a Shad. It seems Mike is no longer there. I talked with "Tommie" and he told me they were in the process of moving and he really did not have time to mess with any orders. Told me to "cool it" and he would get back to me in a couple weeks. Needless to say I ordered a GIVI and it arrived yesterday.

Monte

Kerrville, TX

Here's the Shad 46L, I believe..... Group Buy, anyone? B)

Shad1.jpg
I'd be in for a group.

Well if my wife will let go of the funds.

This was my top box last year

I just want to order from a good vendor and get the correct mount. Colormatch it appears is out on the '07?

Thank you guys for answering My questions without the Dogpile.

+1 on the Shad! Mike from Cosmo is a character and knows his stuff...
I called Cosmo a week ago after emailing Mike the previous week to order a Shad. It seems Mike is no longer there. I talked with "Tommie" and he told me they were in the process of moving and he really did not have time to mess with any orders. Told me to "cool it" and he would get back to me in a couple weeks. Needless to say I ordered a GIVI and it arrived yesterday.

Monte

Kerrville, TX
Fjrider's comment on Mike being a personality was an understatement. You have to be willing to put up with some stuff to get a deal from that crew.

Hah! i just noticed in Group Buys that there already is/was one?

Just goes to show you.... Just look around a bit.

Tim