Sharing a few thoughts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15wannabe

Reaction score
Hello riders...it's the closing of the riding season around here for me. The bikes are put away for the winter after the annual prepare for storage routine. As some of you already know, early this year I bought my 3rd FJR, after an '07 and my very first Yamaha, the '04. I can not emphasize enough, what an improvement my `15 ES is over all my previous STs (including my Honda ST1100....although, it's seat was pretty comfy!). With the suspension preload set on 'one hemet' and damping on Soft -3 (i'm only 193 ibs), the ES rides and handles like a dream. We have a lot of twisties around here in the mountains of BC and the bike has proven itself to be rock solid too, after adjusting on the fly to Hard +3...absolutely effortless.

And, the power ! The FJR has always impressed with it's HP and torque figures, but even the slightest bump up in low end torque has made a significant difference. The tight turns I used to take in second gear I now do in 3rd...it's got the grunt to pulll me away without any balking from the motor.

Not to mention all the other features that inspires confidence....and there are many!

I suppose, the only negative I have to state, and it's a minor one, is the fact that the fairing isn't quite as easy to remove as my first 2 FJRs. But, I gotta admit, it's a much cleaner look overall without the exposed hex-socket fasteners.

In any case, I just turned 65. Could it be this might be my last FJR ? Hard to imagine how much better this bike can become in the future. But I'll say this: I have been riding since 1969 and this 2015 FJR 1300 ES is without a doubt, the best motorcycle I have ever owned. (and nobody paid me to say this ). Cheers !

... I just turned 65. Could it be this might be my last FJR ? ...
No reason to be. I've bought two FJRs since I was 65 (2010 and 2014).

But my present one probably is my last (now 73).
Slacker...I'm on my 5th (2003, 2006,2008,2010 and 2013) FJR since I was 65 (now 77) This is most likely my last FJR...but not (necessarily) my last bike.

We have age in common. this is my third FJR and without a doubt the best of the three. Whether or not this will be my final FJR depends on several factors, bike gets stolen, crashed it, or health declines. At this time I am in excellent health and hope to ride till age 80. At that time I will reassess future potential. I do two long distance tours yearly and average 10K miles annually. If I am able to maintain that pace for seven more years, I will likely treat myself to one more new bike.

Wow, I too have hope. My first at age 53 (52 when I got it) and loving it. Some day I shall move from the Gen 1 but is a pretty sweet bike. The red head is still a lusty bike and I have to wonder what is planned for the 2016 model.

Slacker...I'm on my 5th (2003, 2006,2008,2010 and 2013) FJR since I was 65 (now 77) This is most likely my last FJR...but not (necessarily) my last bike.
Well, I am 57 and on my second FJR. Petey has set the bar. I always said that when I grow up I want to be like Petey. I believe I am on pace.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wannabe...

Thank you for that.

I was indeed lucky the day I discovered this forum. This is where I first learned about a great machine. I made my final decision to buy an FJR because of what I read on these pages. Truth is, I was lucky to ever get my hands of an FJR. I bought my 05 for 6500 bucks... during a time when money was tight. It was a struggle to pay for it, but we made it. And so here i am 5 years later, still enjoying an amazing machine, even though it's a Gen 1. It has run perfectly for me all this time. Fine, it's not a Gen 3 or even a Gen 2. But i honestly don't care. It's fast, smooth, and just plain wonderful. I've owned a lot of motorcycles through the years, but I never dreamed I could own a machine that would be this reliable. Sure, there have been a couple minor problems, but nothing expensive or difficult to deal with. My FJR been just about bullet proof. But even above that it just does EVERYTHING so consistently. It starts, stops, handles and runs just about flawlessly for me. Even the dreaded heat issues that have been so well documented on these pages are not that bad (thanks to my Baker air wings) , and are actually a blessing from November through April (I ride year round). Yamaha's engineering department is second to none and the decisions they made when they built this thing, IMHO, were spot on. Don't see myself selling my 05 for a long, long time, if ever. And why should I?

My FJR's got just enough miles to be worthless to the buying public, and just enough to be broke in... to those of us who know the truth
smile.png

Gary

darksider #44

and 60 years young...

ps. here's some interesting perspective. I remember trying to lay down on the gas tank of my 1967 Honda 50 so it could transport my 120 pound 13 year old body at the blinding speed of 37 mph on a smooth level road. I remember wishing that my 1970 125 Harley Rapido had some guts when I twisted the throttle. I remember hoping my 71 Suzuki 500 Titan could make it to 90 without shaking my feet off the pegs. I remember dreaming that my 83 horsepower 78 Suzuki GS1000 had a little more power.

But for the last 5 years, I'm happy to say that I haven't been wishing for something faster. The FJR has got more than I'll ever use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am turning 50 this coming year and I am SO HOPEFUL to be riding for another 15-20 years. I still love riding as much now as I ever have. Thanks for sharing and hope you have many more miles ahead of you!

Great responses all, to my post. BTW, I still manage to average over 10,000 kms per year. That might seem not that much to some of you younger riders out there, but for me, it's an important milestone of sorts! Safe journey everyone !

Great responses all, to my post. BTW, I still manage to average over 10,000 kms per year. That might seem not that much to some of you younger riders out there, but for me, it's an important milestone of sorts! Safe journey everyone !
Younger riders? It's us younger shmuks who have to work full-time and wish we could be on a bike more. You wanna see some big miles, talk to the older, wiser, retired guys. We have to live vicariously through them!

Younger riders? It's us younger shmuks who have to work full-time and wish we could be on a bike more. You wanna see some big miles, talk to the older, wiser, retired guys. We have to live vicariously through them!
Bindare, dundat ....LOL, I know what u mean about the work thing...we all pay our dues !

I'm 60, and have my '04 since late '03. Until it gives me trouble I can't fix, I'm not giving it up. No reason to, NMS (New Motorcycle Syndrome) doesn't affect me as long as it runs well.