Shark RSR2 helmet hurting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegscraper

Mr. Photog
Reaction score
I've had the Shark RSR2 for a couple years and lately the top of my head feels painful when the helmet is on and awhile after I remove it. It is probably the foam going away or like the guy at the bike shop said "breaking in." :angry2:

He also said the foam cannot be replaced and I need to buy another helmet. My wife had the same problem after 1 month and then bought an Arai again. We have long oval heads and the Sharks felt better at first but now the pain. I don't want to go back to the Arai because swapping out the shields were a pain in the ass.

Any recommendations if the pads can be replaced or another helmet? :glare:

If I was a smart aleck, I'd suggest that you file, sand, or grind a little bit off of the top of your head... But, I'm not so I won't... :lol:

If I was a smart aleck, I'd suggest that you file, sand, or grind a little bit off of the top of your head... But, I'm not so I won't... :lol:
A jackass is more like it. :glare:

I have the same problem pegscraper, I loved my shark RSX for the first couple months when I got it. I did all the surgeries to the helmet, but nothing seems to help. I've also got a long oval melon, and have a bitch of a time finding a helmet to fit right.

I too suffer the helmet torture of a long oval head (brother used to call me football head). Try the Shoei RF1000. Previously, I used the Arai Signet designed for long ovals but even with that, I had to order the XXXL. It left big gaps on the side. I snugly wear an XL with the RF1000 and can wear it all day long.

I too suffer the helmet torture of a long oval head (brother used to call me football head). Try the Shoei RF1000. Previously, I used the Arai Signet designed for long ovals but even with that, I had to order the XXXL. It left big gaps on the side. I snugly wear an XL with the RF1000 and can wear it all day long.
I had a Shoei save my life once, I knew I should have just stuck with them!

Why not try a long oval fitting Shark? The only long oval I know of from Shark is the RSI model.

I have a true XL long oval head and have gone through many "so called" neutral helmets or the oval's like the AGV Stealth. I have two Shark RSI's and they are holding up well, the venting could be better and the visor will not stay cracked open above 75 mph. I ride with mine open most of the time so venting is not a biggie. The long oval fit of the RSI is the selling point for me, the quality and price ain't bad either. My RSI Acid does very well on the FJR, the light weight is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not try a long oval fitting Shark? The only long oval I know of from Shark is the RSI model.
I have a true XL long oval head and have gone through many "so called" neutral helmets or the oval's like the AGV Stealth. I have two Shark RSI's and they are holding up well, the venting could be better and the visor will not stay cracked open above 75 mph. I ride with mine open most of the time so venting is not a biggie. The long oval fit of the RSI is the selling point for me, the quality and price ain't bad either. My RSI Acid does very well on the FJR, the light weight is great.
Thank you for the advice. I will try to give the sales rep a call tomorrow. Maybe my mirrored visor from the RSR2 will fit the RSI?

Now I'm stuck with two Shark RSR2 (one large and one small). Any takers? All reasonable offers will be considered.

Ed - To solve yours and Ms NASCAR's issue, just stop wearing the helmet. Done, next....

Seriously, one of my old Shoei's gave me a monster headache after a few hours of wearing, right at the top of my forehead. I thought at first it was wind coming in and giving me brain freeze, nope that wasn't it, finally I figured the foam was tight there. I changed to Arai. I agree shields are not easy to swap, but the helmet fits me well. Although on my next helmet I will more then likely change to another brand.

Good advice on long oval helmets etc. Check your head for shape and buy according to the helmet shape.

Good luck, Ride Safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed - To solve yours and Ms NASCAR's issue, just stop wearing the helmet. Done, next....
Seriously, one of my old Shoei's gave me a monster headache after a few hours of wearing, right at the top of my forehead. I thought at first it was wind coming in and giving me brain freeze, nope that wasn't it, finally I figured the foam was tight there. I changed to Arai. I agree shields are not easy to swap, but the helmet fits me well. Although on my next helmet I will more then likely change to another brand.

Good advice on long oval helmets etc. Check your head for shape and buy according to the helmet shape.

Good luck, Ride Safe.
Yes, I must get this issue resolved before we leave for the CFR rally next month.

Good luck, Ride Safe.
Yes, I must get this issue resolved before we leave for the CFR rally next month.
I originally tried the RSI on, but wasn't crazy about the paint schemes at the time. So the sales rep at the local dealer told me that they were the same shape. So I ordered an RSX. NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!!! I didn't think it felt the same when i got it.....

add another vote for the RF1000. had mine over a year now. Comfy, and breathes well in hot weather with vents open

I'm not above putting some thin foam into my helmets between the inner EPS and the headliner. I figure this is what you do if you buy a thicker headliner insert anyway. The only helmet I have that fits great is an Arai RX7 in XL with the addition of two strips of extra foam about .1 inch thick on the right and left sides of the helmet. I have an oval top and that helps it, but I like the wider RX7 for the deep ear pockets that don't touch my ears. The Shark helmets have EPS that is like a set of ribs over your head rather like a bicycle helmet, perhaps you've become sensitive to one of these contacting your noggin? Perhaps a thin piece of foam would help. I've found the thin art foam that is sold to kids for projects to be cheap and good for this. It seems crazy to scrap a nice helmet for an annoyance, as far as I'm concerned all helmets are either annoying or soon to be so. As far as safety is concerned, I feel an uncomfortable helmet is distracting and puts me in more danger as the annoyance is constant, vs. a crash that may never even happen.

At least the Arai annoys me with softness, that plush interior that seems to hang on to your head with so little force yet stays serene in the wind. I've never worn another helmet that does that. Yeah, its got a terrible visor and it is louder than the inside of a rappers SUV, but it is just so damn comfy!

The RSI is a great helmet for cooler weather (not much vent) use. It contacts my ears all over, slightly pushing them in, and somehow this is less annoying then just touching a part of them. This is also a quiet helmet that seems to cut through the wind. I had an RSX for one ride but it didn't fit me at all, was like a round hole on my oval peg and still messed with my ears.

If you have a billion dollar head then wear a billion dollar helmet, and while your here, where is your cup supporter?

Hi Ed, I just noticed this. I just replaced my RF1000 with an Aria, so I have the one year old RF1000 (large) sitting in the garage at the moment. You're welcome to try it to see how it fits. It's even "Starcom compliant". ;) I'm not thinking of selling it at the moment, but you're welcome to try it for a while to see if a RF1000 is what you're looking for.

I have an arai helmet and thought the shields were a pain to change as well. Took several minutes. Not nearly as easy as other helmets. This winter I found a video on the Arai site demonstrating on how to change their shields.. I just tried the technique out the other day and it only took seconds.. I've always liked my arai besides how the sheild worked now it doesn't bother me.

Hi Ed, I just noticed this. I just replaced my RF1000 with an Aria, so I have the one year old RF1000 (large) sitting in the garage at the moment. You're welcome to try it to see how it fits. It's even "Starcom compliant". ;) I'm not thinking of selling it at the moment, but you're welcome to try it for a while to see if a RF1000 is what you're looking for.
Thanks Neil,

I original had a Arai Quantum years ago and swapping the shield out was a pain. I got hit from behind and their insurance got me a replacement helmet (and other parts) so I opted for the Shark RSR. MsNASCAR, after a month, said the horizontal rib on the inside was causing too much pain to the top of her head, so she went back to an Arai.

Now that my Shark is giving me grief on my crown, I placed an order today for the Arai Corsair V Randy but cancelled it two hours later after reading up about you not getting the bang for the bucks. Once the cancelled order clears I plan on opting for the Arai Profile Wraithen Replica for $300 less than the Corsair.

Thanks to all for the great advice. Even the one about "suggesting that you file, sand, or grind a little bit off of the top of your head." A little humour goes a long way with all the crap that goes on around us.

See you Neil in a couple.

i had an rs1 that fit well so when i ordered the rs2 i was surprised to find it a larger fit. it also won't fit in my side bag like the rs1 did. i stuffed it with padding. i always tweak the fit a bit to suit me anyway.

dh