Shark RSX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaycen

Reaction score
Anyone have a chance to try a Shark RSX. There is a discontinued color from last year closed out cheap. This is one of the first helmets I've found that fits my head right.....

I too have been looking at helmets. I don't know anything about Shark helmets but I think its about fit. If it fits you right you really can't go wrong... Good luck....

Anyone have a chance to try a Shark RSX. There is a discontinued color from last year closed out cheap. This is one of the first helmets I've found that fits my head right.....
I've been wearing one for about a year now. It is light as hell, and the first head check I did while riding felt like I was missing my helmet!

I've got a few complaints with it. It chips and cracks rather easily, just going through a normal day of being carried and bumping into stuff. It's all cosmetic, though, no compromising of its safety if I get into a crash with it. It is also a bit louder than I would like a helmet to be. Under normal conditions, the visibility is just fine, but in the rain, even with the vents wide open, it fogs pretty easily.

On the plus side, it's very comfortable. I can't use it for demonstrating helmets in my classes, because students get disappointed when the helmets they end up getting are twice as heavy. :)

On the whole, I probably would not pay $450 again for one, I'd go for something warmer and quieter even if heavier, but I'm glad to have the Shark as a lightweight full facial for Summer and fair weather use.

Just out of curiousity, I wore my old helmet (Scorpion) when I went out today. It's even chillier, and lots more noisy than the Shark. Which is weird, because I always remembered it as being quiet. My wife's helmet is one of those funky colored Arai's. That one IS quieter and more comfortable, but is also $600.

So, if you've found a clearance sale on the Sharks for less than $400, I say go for it.

Just out of curiousity, I wore my old helmet (Scorpion) when I went out today. It's even chillier, and lots more noisy than the Shark. Which is weird, because I always remembered it as being quiet. My wife's helmet is one of those funky colored Arai's. That one IS quieter and more comfortable, but is also $600.
So, if you've found a clearance sale on the Sharks for less than $400, I say go for it.
I use a Shoei TZ-R and a Scorpion. The Shoei feels nicer, quieter, and lighter. The anti-fog on the Scorpion is super nice but the shield does not seal like the Shoei does. I've always had a Shoei and would like to try an Arai but you can get deals on Shoei. I got the Shoei on sale this fall for $222.

The other problem with the Scorpion is something I've never had with any other helmet. When the vents are open, and air is circulating, there's something about the foam or something inside that will make my eyes burn. It comes on quick, too; I've had to make emergency stops on the shoulder with one partially open eye before. It happened a few times when I was only using the Scorpion, haven't worn it for a year (been wearing the Shark), then on the trip back today, it happened again just as I was fortunately getting off the freeway.

I think I'm going to destroy the Scorpion. Cut it open and use it for a demo or something. I'm never wearing it again, though. I'll have to try another Scorp sometime and see if it's their materials, or if I just got a freak helmet.

I use a Shoei TZ-R and a Scorpion. The Shoei feels nicer, quieter, and lighter. The anti-fog on the Scorpion is super nice but the shield does not seal like the Shoei does. I've always had a Shoei and would like to try an Arai but you can get deals on Shoei. I got the Shoei on sale this fall for $222.
Valley Powersports in Roanoke, Va has a limited selection of Arai helmets in discontinued colors that they are selling 20% off.

John