Shinko 009 impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE(Feejer/Weejer man @ Jul 14 2007, 05:31 PM) *

Just had a set of Storms mounted by a guy I have been doing business with for 5 years now and he doesn't recommend the Shinko's at all much less for the FJR. But I guess a guy who mounts tires all week doesn't know much anyway. Just one man's opinion I guess.

sprint st replied:

Just because a guy "mounts" tires really doesn't mean he knows much about "riding" on tires or how they perform. How many Shinko's does he actually have experience with is he just another BS'er like most of the guys who talk about Shinko's and have absolutely no experience with them? Guys who actually have them are not complaining, in fact, quite the opposite.

Lets see, start here: He has been riding and wrenching bikes most of his life and he is well over 50. He had ridden LD,sport and has raced. he owns his owns shop and put tires on most every bike used in America. He knows tires. What makes your opinion more valuable than a guy who puts on more tires in a month than you have used in a lifetime. He also gets feedback from riders who have more experience than most. I mounted my storms and have no wobble at any speed and the turn and handle better than my Azaros at first scrub and ride. Does it make them the "best"? Not by my little experience compared to others. But what makes you the expert? Let me see, you use a tire and think it the best tire ever developed for the street. Yeh right. Whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprint st

Swamps drying up, the gators must be moving into the swimming pools.

Feejer/weejer man

Does your mechanic hate the 009, or just the Shinko brand in general? Did he give a reason why?

What was his expectations for a tire?

The point I am making is I also run Avon Venoms on my cruiser these are good tires. But the Storms were such "crap" on my 2006 FJR I will not use use the Storms again.

The Shinko 009 does not show these poor characteristics of the Storms.

Forgive Scab, he's still suffering from the trauma. :dribble:
**** that. This is the prescribed therapy. ;) Friggin' nimrod still can't understand simple English, which means we still have a way to go. Mrs. Scab must be at wits end!

Right now I've got 400-500 miles on my set of Ravens and I've been progressively pushing them. I don't know what they do on slabs because I've been running primarily twisties. Unlike Storms they don't have any wobble nor do they make me fight to keep my line. I can say +1 to everything wanderer has said. As far as load rating goes, and I know this is far from being scientific but I have yet to see science affect a tire topic much anyway, a quick gander at a Storm before and after a few K miles plus flexing its sidewalls and you might consider going on a diet before spooning on another set.
Yeah, well scientific 'theory' is just that and on that, we agree. Save for cords showing, my 1st Storm rear was in great shape when de-rimmed. Give me numbers and make me a believer. Load that sum bitch up to the max and run about 2 or 3 k at LD speeds and report back. That's the info I'm interested in reading before I try the Shinko's.

All this from a guy who thinks LD means "Learning-Disabled", and in his case, does.

Okay, the load ratings are the same. This IS science. Now, if you don't rush out and buy and mount a set of these tires, the real truth shall forever be known: YOU'RE SCARED!

So, just go buy them, save your whine for your cheese, right a proper disertation on their functionality, and come back and report.

And hurry up about it.

Lets see, start here: He has been riding and wrenching bikes most of his life and he is well over 50. He had ridden LD,sport and has raced. he owns his owns shop and put tires on most every bike used in America. He knows tires. What makes your opinion more valuable than a guy who puts on more tires in a month than you have used in a lifetime. He also gets feedback from riders who have more experience than most. I mounted my storms and have no wobble at any speed and the turn and handle better than my Azaros at first scrub and ride. Does it make them the "best"? Not by my little experience compared to others. But what makes you the expert? Let me see, you use a tire and think it the best tire ever developed for the street. Yeh right. Whatever.
So he is 50 well I'm 60 and have been riding since 1965. Been working on bikes the entire time. Don't think your lifetime statement applies. Never claimed to be an expert? Show me where I did? So you happened to get one of the good sets, I'm happy for you, well not really, don't give a shit. Sorry dude, but you talk a lot of second hand shit. Rule number 3 applies.

So he is 50 well I'm 60 and have been riding since 1965. Been working on bikes the entire time. Don't think your lifetime statement applies. Never claimed to be an expert? Show me where I did? So you happened to get one of the good sets, I'm happy for you, well not really, don't give a shit. Sorry dude, but you talk a lot of second hand shit. Rule number 3 applies.
Look over at some of the other sites and there are lots of forum groups using and liking the storm. The milage reports are under some of the other tires but other than that more positive than negative. I will sacrifice a few miles in tire life for grip and performance.Plus every post you think you are the expert in everything from mechanic to tire expert. Go on your merry way thinking you are the top dog when it comes to motorcycling. You are a legend in your own mind dude. I am reporting from a man who owns his own shop and puts on more tires a year than I can use and test in a lifetime.If There is my claim to lifetime use compared to mounting and balancing. Gets most of his customers by repeat business and hears back from most of them. So you use two sets of tires and know the whole story. Good for you.

Look over at some of the other sites and there are lots of forum groups using and liking the storm. The milage reports are under some of the other tires but other than that more positive than negative.
If YOU do some looking on some of those "other site" you will see a whole bunch of folks pulling away from the Storm and this one just may have been ahead of it's time. If you go directly to Avon customer support and talk to them you will immediately KNOW the Storm problems aren't a few isolated cases. Besides, we were talking the Shinko Raven and I stand by what I said, when you talk to guys who have used them, rather than someone who is just pushing air, their reputation for being an excellent tire is growing. NO ONE has said they were the best tire for everything. Everyone who has used them has stated categorically that they have not seen any dangerous traits. EVERYONE who has them says they are the best bang for the buck. Definition: best bang for the buck - low cost, "good" handling, decent mileage.

... and come back and report.
That's what I'm looking to you guys to do (even you on your new little girlie bike). I've never been keen on being a crash test dummy, which is why I'll consider them once someone proves the tire under load and extended high speed. Scarred? Nope, just cautious.

... and come back and report.
That's what I'm looking to you guys to do (even you on your new little girlie bike). I've never been keen on being a crash test dummy, which is why I'll consider them once someone proves the tire under load and extended high speed. Scarred? Nope, just cautious.
I rode a pair of 009's 2-up from Denver, CO to Flagstaff, AZ in just over 10 hours. That's an overall average of 75mph including stops. Speedo read 85+ most of the trip. As for load, I had both bag liners mostly full of clothes, the top case had rain gear and incidentals. I'm still here to talk about it. The rear was somewhat flat spotted from 775 miles of western US interstate, but 10-15 miles of city streets and tiwsty roads and all was well.

Morons. A bunch of friggin' morons. Nevermind. Enjoy your Stinkos. :****:

I rode a pair of 009's 2-up from Denver, CO to Flagstaff, AZ in just over 10 hours. That's an overall average of 75mph including stops. Speedo read 85+ most of the trip. As for load, I had both bag liners mostly full of clothes, the top case had rain gear and incidentals. I'm still here to talk about it. The rear was somewhat flat spotted from 775 miles of western US interstate, but 10-15 miles of city streets and tiwsty roads and all was well.
Thank you, Wanderer, that's what I'm looking for. Visible flat spotting started at 775 miles? That's less than impressive.

wanderer

Are these the same pair you currently have about 8000 miles on? If so still sounds very promising.

twowheelnut

I am more of an ass. Come on get it right.

Actually I am very impressed so far with them, dragged the pegs yesterday, but, that is not saying much, I have lowering pegs.

BobG (A-hole)

Last edited by a moderator:
Morons. A bunch of friggin' morons. Nevermind. Enjoy your Stinkos. :****:

Thank you, Wanderer, that's what I'm looking for. Visible flat spotting started at 775 miles? That's less than impressive.
No, not visible. The first left-hander at the end of the off ramp felt a little 'tippy' as i made the 'yield shortcut'. It could have been me, mentally, I haven't felt that sensation other than those few corners. Not even again in the later 7k miles. I thought it was odd and looked at the tire when I got gas 3 blocks later. All looked fine. I've never felt that feeling before, or since on any tire, but I chalked it up to having ridden 400 miles in a straight line (look at I-40 on a map), 2-up at 85+ on a tire that was 'unscrubbed' new 1200 miles prior and had a different profile than the z6's I took off. All that, and it went away after a few miles of shoulder-to-shoulder turns.

BobG, yes, it is. And they still have maybe 2/32 to the wear bars. I expect to get 9500-10k out of them if they wear lineraly like a tire should, rather than exponentially like some tires in their last 1000 miles.

No, not visible. The first left-hander at the end of the off ramp felt a little 'tippy' as i made the 'yield shortcut'. It could have been me, mentally, I haven't felt that sensation other than those few corners. Not even again in the later 7k miles. I thought it was odd and looked at the tire when I got gas 3 blocks later. All looked fine. I've never felt that feeling before, or since on any tire, but I chalked it up to having ridden 400 miles in a straight line (look at I-40 on a map), 2-up at 85+ on a tire that was 'unscrubbed' new 1200 miles prior and had a different profile than the z6's I took off. All that, and it went away after a few miles of shoulder-to-shoulder turns.
Ah, so you sensed a sensation as though it was flat spotted, then? Would you describe that as kinda 'flopping' into the turn v. 'rolling'?

Yeah, that's a pretty decent way to describe it I suppose. Again, it could have been largely mental. 5 hours of no turns has that effect on one. Whatever it was went away by the time I got back out onto the interstate.

Shinko 009 in snow.

Handling, anything other than vertical, your on your ass.

Max speed attained, ah, ah, ah, so vast it did not register on speedo.

Tires really are trying to find themselves.

Recommend a Yamaha sled.

Bob

th_Picture006.jpg
th_Picture010.jpg

Really nice. They are calling for doubling the snow level in the mountains tonight.

But I have no room for any more things. 9 motorcycles, 9 kayaks, 8 cars/ trucks, and only a 2 car garage.

Bob