Shock/spring Suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I realize that this forum already contains a 'ton' of suspension info and many...many....opinions.

Before I sift thru all of the options for 'tuning' my suspension, I intend to replace front springs and rear shock as I have 51k on the stock stuff.

Once I have the new parts in place, I will begin actively trying to dial it in to the setup for me.

I don't intend to re-mortgage the house for this upgrade, but I realize it will require an investment.

So, at the risk of info overload.......

Is Wilbers the best? Best place to purchase Wilbers?

Straight rate or progressive rate springs? Any after-market springs better than stock springs?

Model 2004ABS, most mileage w/400 lbs on bike (either rider/pass or rider/luggage) fairly aggressive rider.

Thanks.........let the opinions begin!

I have a Wilbers rear shock and front springs on my 2004 non-abs FJR and I love the setup. But I DON'T push it "to the edge". I like a good controlled ride that can handle the corners and stay under control. For the price during the last Wilbers Group Buy I couldn't pass them up. That said, Ohlin's are the BEST out them IMHO. Penske's are next along with Wilber's. It depends on where you can get them and for what price. Anything is better than the stock pieces! GP suspension is a good place to start if you live on the "left coast". I'm sure others will chime in as well with other places to check out. YMMV

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
rainman, being that you are in Indiana Penske would be your best choice along with finding some sort of local suspension service guru to help you set everything up after it is installed. Go to the Penske webpage and find a tuner nearest you.

Hello rainman,

actually but not coincidentally I work for the Wilbers mother company in Germany therefore you might find my opinion a bit biassed. Still I'll try to answer some of your questions as neutral as possible...

I think it is safe to say that Wilbers shocks are surely among the best. There are quite a number of manufacturers of aftermarket shocks and in tests and comparisons Wilbers always is at least among the first three if not test winner!

There are a number of places where you might purchase Wilbers shocks, for example you might order them directly in Germany by email (write to [email protected]) or contact one of our service point partners. Find their addresses here: https://motorcycle-suspension.com/wilbers_s...ints/index.html

Regarding weather to use progressive fork springs or linear one might say that it depends on your riding style which spring will better suit your requirements. For example if you were often riding on the racetrack I would suggest linear fork springs while progressive springs would be better for road use and general operation...

If you are uneasy about which suspension elements to use, just contact me by email or ask around in the forum. I'm sure there will be a lot of sound and knowledgeable opinions here!

I hope I was able to help you,

cheers

Dirk

When you guys talk about the expense just what kind of dollars are you talking about? And do these upgrades last a long time? thanks Everett

Got a Wilburs front spring & a rear shock (the 'middle' one) with the 2nd group buy.

Rear shock started leaking oil after 9 months and not that many miles, mostly slab.

After sending Dirk of Wilburs (poster # 4 above) an email, he suggested I take it to their new dealer. I guess he didn't realize that his new dealer is 3000 miles away... Or... I could send my rear shock back to Germany ! More emails back & forth got the equivalent of 'you have your strongly held opinion, but I know'.

If I could afford it, I'd just throw this sucker in the trash. But I can't, so I'll contact Klaus for a fix of what should've been done right the first time...

Wilburs = roll of the dice

I've been running the Wilbers shock and fork springs since the group buy without any problems. My spring was correctly dialed in when it came from Klaus, and I haven't had any problems with it. I did give Klaus the correct loaded weights, and haven't been unsatisfied. The ride is way better than stock. I can't comment on the Ohlins. They would be my first choice, but the price/performance of the Wilbers has not disappointed me.

I do know that some on here have reported oil leaks from their Wilbers shock. I haven't experienced that. I add one click of pre-load when I put the bags on or a passenger, and two clicks when loaded heavy. The FJR doesn't handle like an R1, but it ain't too bad for a fat girl.

Do not get a Works get the "Penske I have one and are great. Get the mounting bracket for mounting the nitrogen cannister from GP suspension in Oregon city Oregon. Great to deal with they did mine. let them do the front foirk as well

I have two streetbikes in the garage now, one with a Works rear (my Derbi) and one with a Penske rear (my FJR). The Works is a very good "budget" shock. Significant improvement over stock without dipping into your HELOC. The Penske is a much better shock for sure, but with a higher price tag to match. I bought mine from Traxxion Dynamics and had them do my forks as well. As someone mentioned earlier, call down there and ask for Lee, he'll get you a good price on the shock...figure in the $800 range. I'll never understand why this forum did so many Wilburs group buys when we had a Traxxion Dynamics tech here in-house who could get a smokin deal on the Penskes. I bought a Wilburs in the group buy, sold it and bought the Penske. No regrets at all. The Wilburs is a very nice shock, but I think the Penske is notably better for roughly the same money.

My $.02...YMMV