Shoei MultiTec Owners - Fit Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Dammit. I was really looking forward to this lid, but it ain't gonna work. My RF1000 (XL) fits perfect. When on, my mouth is about 3/4" from the chin bar, leaving enough space for my Starcom mic. Got my new lid today (L as recommended by Shoei CS) and it has my chin and lips right up to the chin bar, leaving no room for the mic and really doesn't seem like it's gonna be comfy.

What are you other Multitec owners experiencing in this area?

PS The first of you to do a, 'Fixed it for you', gets jimmy kicked with my steel toed Survivors. Twice. ;)

I also have a large Multitech helmet. I have enough room for the Starcom mic to be 1/4" from my lips. I have since changed to the Starcom boom mic and like it better as I can position it where I want for comfort and performance.

Grind 3/4" from the back of your head and it will fit with plenty of room for the mic!

Sorry for the confusion but on page 3 of the included legalese that came with the helmet it clearly states " if you chin sticks out like Jay Leno's this is not the helmet for you".

Let me know if that has been of any help, hugs and kisses. :lol:

Honestly, my chin is also very close to the chin bar, and I had to velcro my Ed-Sets mic in the scrw hole recession.

I also kiss my chin-bar, and the wife is the jealous type.

My starcomm will be going up for sale soon. (never installed)

I just took mine on it's first trip last weekend. I did notice that my finger will no longerfit between my chin & chin bar, as it does on the X11. My chin does not touch though so i'm ok with it. The fit is perfect and it is quiter than the X11. A mic probabably not work. Good luck TWN.

I have the same problem so I bought a Nolan with blue tooth yesterday. Blue color also matched my '06'. Now have to deside what to do with the Multi. Sucks because I really like the Multi.

Niehart

The allmighty forseer of the future predicts that there will be some Shoei Multitec helmets for sale in the classifieds....

Scary isn't it...

I just took mine on it's first trip last weekend. I did notice that my finger will no longerfit between my chin & chin bar, as it does on the X11. My chin does not touch though so i'm ok with it. The fit is perfect and it is quiter than the X11. A mic probabably not work. Good luck TWN.
Thanks. Gonna try the XL and see if that helps. Out side of that, look for a MultiTec for sale...

I bought 2 Multitec helmets for my wife and I about 6 months ago now and love them. I was lucky enough to stop by the Shoei showroom for a 1 on 1 fitting before I bought the helmet. I see you are in Santa Barbara so I included the address below in case you are in the area and would like to do the same.

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp

3002 Dow Ave. Ste. 128

Tustin, CA 92780

Ph: 714-730-0941 Fax: 714-730-0942

Web: www.shoei-helmets.com

E-Mail: [email protected]

I had some of the same issues you mentioned and they allowed me to try their optional cheek pads and it was like wearing a different helmet. I bought the Large based on their recommendation but I wanted the XL. They told me to give the helmet about 45 days to break in and the foam will compact to your head a good 1/8-1/4" and they were spot on and I am glad I listened. When I first bought it I did not think I was going to be able to get the f***ing thing off. They are a very tight fit when they are new. Good luck and I hope you find the right fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 2 Multitec helmets for my wife and I about 6 months ago now and love them. I was lucky enough to stop by the Shoei showroom for a 1 on 1 fitting before I bought the helmet. I see you are in Santa Barbara so I included the address below in case you are in the area and would like to do the same.
Shoei Safety Helmet Corp

3002 Dow Ave. Ste. 128

Tustin , CA 92780

I had some of the same issues you mentioned and they allowed me to try their optional cheek pads and it was like wearing a different helmet. Good luck and I hope you find the right fit.
Thanks for the info. I ordered up an XL as the L was kinda tighter than I would want it. How did changing the cheek pads resolve the issue? That's a poser. :dntknw:

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp

3002 Dow Ave. Ste. 128

Tustin , CA 92780

I had some of the same issues you mentioned and they allowed me to try their optional cheek pads and it was like wearing a different helmet. Good luck and I hope you find the right fit.
Thanks for the info. I ordered up an XL as the L was kinda tighter than I would want it. How did changing the cheek pads resolve the issue? That's a poser. :dntknw:
The Multitec has snap out cheek pads and they have optional cheek pads that snap in to find the right fit. You can change it out in seconds. Without the smaller check pads it was pushing my face too far forward a nd I was biting my check and could not open my mouth without bitting myself. Some how the check pads fixed everything for me? In fact the whole inner piece can be removed and washed and then put back in the helmet to keep things nice and clean. They also have some pretty nice optional visors but they are pretty pricey.

The Multitec has snap out cheek pads and they have optional cheek pads that snap in to find the right fit. You can change it out in seconds. Without the smaller check pads it was pushing my face too far forward a nd I was biting my check and could not open my mouth without bitting myself. Some how the check pads fixed everything for me? In fact the whole inner piece can be removed and washed and then put back in the helmet to keep things nice and clean. They also have some pretty nice optional visors but they are pretty pricey.
Yeah, but how does that move your mouth back from the chin bar?

Edit to edit that I saw your edit during my post. No need to edit further. :blink:

I put a lot of trust in the Shoei team to help me find the right fit and while I did not agree with it at the time I am glad I sat down with them to do this right. I was invited into their meeting room with 3 of their consultants who answered all of my concerns and then had me start trying their helmets on and then give them feedback along the way. I still cannot put the helmet on without opening the lid first and then closing it once it is on. Once the foam starts compressing I had much more room in the front of my helmet. I am not sure how clear I am in explaining this because to be honest I do not understand all of it myself. What I do know is I have a great fitting helmet now. Sorry for all of the editing...

I have an x-large Multitec, chin doesn't touch the chinbar when relaxed, but my fairly trimmed beard does. The Mulitec is the only modular helmet with metal-on-metal latching hardware that would fit my big ol' watermelon head.

I have also gone down to the thinner cheekpads. Check your owner's manual. For my x-large size helmet, it came with 35mm thick cheekpads- way too thick for my head. Bought the 33mm (had to order, bought so new to market the retailer didn't even have extras on hand) because the manual said the 33's were the thinnest available for the x-large, even though the manual says the shell size of the large and extra large are the same, only overall padding is different. 33's were still too snug, pressing pretty hard against my cheeks and irritating the inside of my cheeks as they pressed against my teeth. Finally the retailer caught up on inventory and has the 31mm in stock. Even though the manual says the 31 is for the xxl only, I tried them and they fit fine, and feel perfect- snug contact without being too tight.

Now, what really kills me about this $450 helmet is that the damn padding can't be removed for laundering!!! I e-mailed Shoei, responded something about price points, mfr. costs, etc. Bull. I'd pay the extra $$ for some velcro, snaps, or whatever would be needed to make that padding removable. I didn't buy this helmet to ride 3 miles to the corner bar, I bought it for all day use. Their $200 helmets have fully removable padding! So now I'm stuck putting on a head wrap (Sliks brand) every time I wear the helmet to keep funk under control.

Steve.

Got the XL Friday and test rode (wore?) it today...

I declare: Shoei Multitec to be lid Nirvana!

Oh, my! This helmet is the berries. Quiet, comfy, feature rich... Love it! And my old RF1000 shields fit it! Woot!

This helmet is TWN
approved.gif

It was one of the best purchases I made. Great product and great fit. It's a little noisy at speed when I turn my head to the right and not the left. Wierd and only complaint....

If you'd lay off those collagen injections you could save some money and keep the large. :eek:inksmiley: