Shoei MultiTech?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

Reaction score
Tried one on at the Cleveland show. Talk about a perfect fit! Anyone have one that can comment on its noise-level? I noticed at the show that it seemed incredibly effective at reducing background noise; I had trouble hearing the guy talking to me. Be nice to give-up wearing earplugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried one on at the Cleveland show. Talk about a perfect fit! Anyone have one that can comment on its noise-level? I noticed at the show that it seemed incredibly effective at reducing background noise; I had trouble hearing the guy talking to me. Be nice to give-up wearing earplugs.

that's just an old sales trick - as soon as you slip that thing over your head he knocks his speech volume level down by half. I used to do the same to torment a highschool teacher who had intermittent hearing loss when I was a kid.

........ best years of your life man.

(PS - sorry Pappy - no useful advice today)

I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on one of these. But........tried one on last weekend and there was ever so slight a hotspot on my forehead. Apparently, the multi-tec fits round heads better than ovals like mine. I may go back and try to wear it for 45 minutes and see what happens, but it doesn't look good for me at this point. Bummer. I really wanted that helmet.

As for earplugs, I think that even with the quietest helmet out there you should wear earplugs. You don't get a second chance with your hearing. I doubt it's a very quiet helmet. Modular, or flip helmets never are.

it fits my moderately oval head well. Noland is for perfect spheres, I can't get one of them to fit even at XXXL.

As for noise, it is significant with the clear shield down, but I've found if i crack it on click it's alot quieter, and if i have it open all the way it's better yet.

Tom

I got my Multitech last week and was able to try it out this weekend. It fit me like a glove with no hot spots. Your results may vary. I've got to say that it is the quietest "modular" helmet I've worn to date. The top ventilation is awsome and easy to use. The finish and construction are first rate, and I was able to use my dark tinted shield from my RF-1000. I'ved owned Nolan, HJC, Shuberth, Shoei, and Jarrow (Calberg?) system helmets and this is definately a step up. No, it's not as quiet as my RF-1000, but it's close. I'll submit a more detailed evaluation after I've ridden with it for a while.

Key thing I noted was how well it fit. Like they molded it for my head. Just wondering if anyone noted a noise advange as well.

As for earplugs: preachin' to the choir. I have tinitus and ALWAYS wear-em. Thought it would be nice if there was a lid out there that was quiet enough not to really need them but that's a fantasy I guess.

I am very interested in the MultiTech, but have a question for one of you that have one.

Does it have a chin curtain ? The helmet I now use has one and I love it.

Thanks

Mac

I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on one of these. But........tried one on last weekend and there was ever so slight a hotspot on my forehead. Apparently, the multi-tec fits round heads better than pointy like mine.
Fixed it for you. :grin:

The fit for me was perfect when I tried it on. The rep in LB claimed the lid to be quieter than the RF1000 that I currently use. If that is true, then this is my next helmet. As an aside, the new Nolan flip is being worn by a friend who can say only the most positive things about it, especially the low noise level.

As an aside, the new Nolan flip is being worn by a friend who can say only the most positive things about it, especially the low noise level.
The Nolan gets rave reviews. That's another one I really wanted, but again, it's fit is for a round head. A really round head. I got a really bad hotspot on my forehead. Much worse than the Multitec. I have tried a bunchload of these damned flips looking for the Holy Grail for me. Besides the HJC Symax which I use and is ok, they either give me hotspots, or my chin hits the chinbar. The Caberg is an option - a nice helmet with lots of features for the price, but after trying it on side by side with the Multi-tec, the Multi-tec's liner is simply sumptuous compared to the Caberg. Caberg wasn't as soft and comfy, not that it was bad, but I didn't get that "just right" feel. And I want a new flip helmet for my LD riding where I will be wearing it for 24 hours+ without taking it off.

I tried-on the Nolan N102 at the Cleveland show also but I got a forehead hotspot bigtime. I was really bummed as that was the one I really wanted. Come to find the Multitech and fit AND quality in one lid. BINGO!

Pappy

I am very interested in the MultiTech, but have a question for one of you that have one.Does it have a chin curtain ? The helmet I now use has one and I love it.

Thanks

Mac

Hi Mac

You can buy those little chin guards seperately for the Shoei lids. I know they can be squeeze fitted into the RF helmets - but I wonder if fitted to a Multi-Tech if it might restrict vision in the up/fully-open position?

As an aside, the new Nolan flip is being worn by a friend who can say only the most positive things about it, especially the low noise level.
The Nolan gets rave reviews. That's another one I really wanted, but again, it's fit is for a round head. A really round head. I got a really bad hotspot on my forehead. Much worse than the Multitec. I have tried a bunchload of these damned flips looking for the Holy Grail for me. Besides the HJC Symax which I use and is ok, they either give me hotspots, or my chin hits the chinbar. The Caberg is an option - a nice helmet with lots of features for the price, but after trying it on side by side with the Multi-tec, the Multi-tec's liner is simply sumptuous compared to the Caberg. Caberg wasn't as soft and comfy, not that it was bad, but I didn't get that "just right" feel. And I want a new flip helmet for my LD riding where I will be wearing it for 24 hours+ without taking it off.
Damn, I'm glad I'm not a flip helmet, you'd drive me nuts!! :p

I am very interested in the MultiTech, but have a question for one of you that have one.Does it have a chin curtain ? The helmet I now use has one and I love it.

Thanks

Mac

Hi Mac

You can buy those little chin guards seperately for the Shoei lids. I know they can be squeeze fitted into the RF helmets - but I wonder if fitted to a Multi-Tech if it might restrict vision in the up/fully-open position?
helmet.jpg

no problem, even with the curtain

I picked up the multitec in December to use along with my RF-1000. The plan was to only use it for group rides but that changed after the first ride. The 1000 was a quieter ride but not by much so it got the boot. If I had to find something wrong with the tec, it would be that it was much more difficult to wire for an Autocom system due to tight fit and finish.

I got my Multitech last week and was able to try it out this weekend. It fit me like a glove with no hot spots. Your results may vary. I've got to say that it is the quietest "modular" helmet I've worn to date. The top ventilation is awsome and easy to use. The finish and construction are first rate, and I was able to use my dark tinted shield from my RF-1000. I'ved owned Nolan, HJC, Shuberth, Shoei, and Jarrow (Calberg?) system helmets and this is definately a step up. No, it's not as quiet as my RF-1000, but it's close. I'll submit a more detailed evaluation after I've ridden with it for a while.
I have an RF-1000 also and need to pick up another helmet since my wife will be riding with me this year. We both wear the same size which is convenient. No, she doesn't have a big head, I have a peanut size head. So, I'm considering the Multi-tech to wear on my long trips when she's with me.

My questions are:

1. How is the weight compared to the RF-1000?

2. Do you notice a big difference in ventilation between the two?

3. What color did you go with? I'm thinking Silver or Pearl Grey, but wonder which would best match the silver on an 06?

That's it for now. I'm curious to know which you prefer to wear, the Multi-tech or the RF-1000? Anyone else that has both can chime in here too if you would like.

Thanks!

Smoke

Thanks

Mac

Hi Mac

helmet.jpg

no problem, even with the curtain
Thanks guys, that was what I was looking for.

mac