Shoei Pinlock Anti-Fog Shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I'm going to replace my old Shoei helmet and noticed that they offer these pinned inner shields that supposedly reduce fogging. Anyone have any experience with them? TIA Ian, Iowa

Note to self, search before posting-sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use them all winter here in Northwet.

In fact I have two, one to cut the sun down a little on cold sunny days, one yellow to brighten the sun on gray days [welcome to Seattle winters].

They extend my riding season, well, guess I should say make my winter riding easier. I would ride any way.

I use on both my Shoei Multitec & RF1000.

I put a Shoei pinlock into my Arai helmet, drilling holes for the visor and using nylon screws. It works like a charm. Cheap guy like me ain't gonna go buy something made for the damn thing when I can kludge it real horrorshow.

I've been pinlocking for the last 3 years, it isn't perfect but it is much better, like twice as good as any other solution.

Shoei's pinlock visor is well made, very thin,very flexible, tiny silicone bead on it, very transparent during the day, like it isn't there at all.

Much better than the Nolan one I used for two years, on a variety of helmets with drilled visors.

I've been wearing my Shoei Multi-Tec with pin-lock shield since last September and I absolutely love it.

I keep a smoke insert in my helmet and carry a clear insert with me just in case I get caught out after dark - it's much easier than carrying a spare shield.

I've been wearing my Shoei Multi-Tec with pin-lock shield since last September and I absolutely love it.
I keep a smoke insert in my helmet and carry a clear insert with me just in case I get caught out after dark - it's much easier than carrying a spare shield.
Good idea, I ordered a Shoei RF-1000 Gobert from Comp Acc for $300. Had to buy a clear "pin shield" to mount the clear and dark smoke inserts to for about another $100. Still a pretty reasonable first-line helmet. Ian, Iowa

Of course you know, that the pinlock inserts are made of a pretty soft mositure absorbing plastic and that they scratch really easy. I woudn't want to carry and change mine out like I change sunglasses, they wouldn't last very long.

Got my new Shoei RF-1000 yesterday. I am a little disappointed in that it seems noisier than my old 2000 RF-1000. I have JB helmet speakers installed in it, maybe they offer additional sound insulation.

I don't think I needed to buy an extra shield that already had the pins installed. Looks like putting them in the shield wouldn't be that hard. Ian, Iowa

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Ireland where it rains all the time, non stop, 24h a day. In these damp, grey, miserable conditions you need an effective anti-fog visor. I have tried them all, anti-fog fluids, breath masks, fog city inserts. The pinlock is the best so far. They do scratch eventually and the silicone bead hardens and wont seal but by the time this happens you need a replacement anyway. They come in 4 colours and there is a sports model too that moves the top edge of the insert away from your line of sight. However this means it gets scratched in this area really quickly because it fouls on the draught sealing strip on the helmet. Anyway it works for me. Time to get me wet weather gear on and venture out into Angela's Ashes weather...

I like the pinlock. Works pretty well. You do get some extra reflections at night with it. Kinda get used to it I guess. I found out the hard way that the seal goes away, like when I got caught out in the snow and couldn't see or wipe off the face shield (water in the middle).

I have the Fog City HyperOptik gig on my Arai. I think the seal is much better, as it is basically glued on. So in that sense I think it is a better anti-fog. But I'm not so happy with the HyperOptik (you know, the one that darkens in the light), it seems to not get as dark as it used to, and tends to be just a dull yellow. Another thing that should make you shy away from HyperOptik is if you are in idiot like me at installing them..... because you have to get it right or it's basically fuct. Went through a couple visors and hyper optiks (read: couple hundred bucks) because the fit didn't work well with regard to closing the visor in the helmet, not much room for error.

Anyway, I tend to prefer Shoei anyway, so pinlock works for me.

I am about to place an order to Gary for a Dark Smoke Shield + clear lens.

I saw on the Pinlock site that they are coming out with a new Shield specifically made for the Shoei, so I am waiting for Gary to tell me if he has them.

Gary McCoy

Mondak Motosports

[email protected]

Gary's a super guy, whit super service & super prices ! :fans:

I am about to place an order to Gary for a Dark Smoke Shield + clear lens.
I saw on the Pinlock site that they are coming out with a new Shield specifically made for the Shoei, so I am waiting for Gary to tell me if he has them.

Gary McCoy

Mondak Motosports

[email protected]

Gary's a super guy, whit super service & super prices ! :fans:
I just emailed him thanks.