Shoei RF 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't exactly call mine quiet. It's not so bad I need earplugs tho. I did notice it's MUCH better on my FJR than it was on my Concours. I guess airflow has a lot to do with it.

I have not owned every helmet out there yet (but am trying..) so given my helmet history of 12 different models, I'd say the RF is fairly quiet.

The bike and the rider position do make a difference. My RF is louder on a cruiser, where the Fulmer I wore on the cruiser was very quiet, but very noisey on the FJR...

I'm thinking that any helmet with "venting" that actualy works, will not be as quiet as one without good ventalation. That said , overall I am very happy with the RF.

KM

you guys shoudl try taking off the windshield; that'll fix yer noisy helmets. In the summer I rade with a cut shield, it eliminates most of the noise and allows air to pour down over you legs keeping them much cooler.

Mine is super quiet on my crusier without a windscreen. On my FJR it is still pretty noisy but compared to my previous 2 helmets it's great! I still need to wear earplugs for longer riding days, especially if it is windy out.

Noisiest helmet I ever owned, but it was comfy.

Really???? Crap! I just ordered one.

My helmet last year was super loud (partially because it was too big) and I needed some improvement. So this winter I used a coupe of 1/4" spacers to angle the stock windshield back some, and cut two holes in it like this:

100_0506.jpg

I rode it like this with my old helmet once and what a huge improvement. At that point I was wishing I didn't have the RF1000 and Rumble Strip on order.

Now I really wish I didn't order it. :angry:

I've got two RF1000's and find them very quiet when on my FJR and very noise when on my GSXR1000.

It really depends on how the wind flow comes around or over your wind shield.

While riding on the FJR I can even use my in helmet speakers and make phone calls using my starcom mic connected to my Zumo / bluetoothed to phone.

When trying this identical setup on the GSXR it was completely useless.

Noisiest helmet I ever owned, but it was comfy.

And it likely was. I must also point out that besides diffrences in the bike and rider position *, head shape and size can make a diffrence too.

TWN's tall pointed head will not fit inside a helmet the same way my fat alien head will, so the same helmet worn by different riders can elicit oppossing reviews.

*this includes aftermarket windscreens, and even what the rider wears- a thick turtle neck or a jacket that flaps abit can reduce/add noise.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
I HATE my Shoei RF-1000. I had a Shoei RF-800 and I liked it very much. But my brand new 1000 whistles like crazy. I've tried putting plastic tape around various areas that I thought might cause the whistle, but I can't find it. I think it is where the plastic windscreen meets the helmet, but I can't fix it. I really wish I hadn't bought it. It fits very nicely though.

I keep trying others and coming back to my old style RF-1000. It's not the quietest but has been pretty quiet for me. It also has had better fit and OK venting.

FWIW, I met a Shoei rep a few months ago while looking into replacing my RF-1000 with a Multi-Tec. While chatting, I asked him what he wore. He said that he can use anything in their line and regularly tries competitor lids, but he has always come back to a RF-1000. He actually talked me out of the Multi-Tec! While it's better for the true Iron-Butts and some others, after a lot of questions and trying his different wares, he pointed that I could touch the Multi-Tec chin bar, it was slightly heavier and noisier, slower for me to get on and off, and that I do OK with the closed face even while snacking and drinking on trips.

I find that every Shoei I've ever owned has been very quiet.

However, I only have Bells and HJCs to compare them to.

My latest switch was from an HJC CL-15 to the RF-1000.

I found the HJC heavy, loud and caused alot of head buffet.

With the RF-1000 it all seemed to go away and when the shield is closed it's like rolling up the windows on a car..

I own an RF-1000 and am very happy with it. But I wear earplugs also. It does get a little warm in summer. Just purchased a X-11 and its seems just as quiet but has alot more air flow. It did whistle at first and only when I looked left but it stopped. I think I may have had one of the vents slightly cracked open.

Latest posts