Shoei RF1000 issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
I hate to think I bought a higher end helmet to protect my skull and to have it leak in water from the top of the visor when fully closed. I can see an obvious gap between the rubber "bumper" and the visor itself. When riding in a good steady rain I end up with as much if not more water droplets inside the lens as I do on the outside. :angry2:

Anyone else experience this?

I haven't experienced exactly that, but I know that you can slightly adjust the location of the visor, and the gaps. There are two plastic screws that hold on the mechanism that holds on the faceshield. Remove the faceshield, and you can loosen these two screws on each side and shift around the two holders. Tighten screws, re-install the faceshield, check the gaps, repeat as necesary.

I busted one of the sides visor holders and went through this process several times before I got it close enough. Never did get it perfect again, but came close.

I haven't experienced exactly that, but I know that you can slightly adjust the location of the visor, and the gaps. There are two plastic screws that hold on the mechanism that holds on the faceshield. Remove the faceshield, and you can loosen these two screws on each side and shift around the two holders. Tighten screws, re-install the faceshield, check the gaps, repeat as necesary.
I busted one of the sides visor holders and went through this process several times before I got it close enough. Never did get it perfect again, but came close.
Perfect! Thanks. I had no idea those adjusted.

It appears I have no gap over 80% of the middle/top but have a tad on the sides.....I think I can live with that.

Years ago, I had a helmet that didn't seal around the visor so I got some self-adhesive window gasket material and put it around the edge. That worked pretty well.

And thanks Neil for the tip about the adjusting screws.

I have the same helmet. Worst helmet I ever owned. This helmet will fog up at 70 degrees in the summer. POS. My cheap hemets out performed it IMO.

If it's raining you can't ride with the visor shut anyway to prevent fogging. So it's going to leak on the inside anyway. I did use a piece of weather stipping foam (1/4" ?)) as mentioned, and installed it right above the visor when shut. Then when you leave it open a little the top lip of the visor is on the foam. This gives the required airflow to defog and minimizes the water on the inside of the visor.

POS Helmet. :angry2:

And make sure your vents, especially the one on the chin piece, are closed. I have a Multitec that gets soaked inside on the shield if I forget to close the vents.

Got caught in the rain again last night after making the adjustments and had zero leaks. :yahoo:

I was about to get disappointed because it is my favorite, most comfortable, least fogging helmet I own. It will fog a tad at stops sometimes but as soon as I move instant fog removal.

Thanks again for the adjusting tips.

My wife and I both have the Shoei RF1000 and have had no problems. You would think mine would as many times as I have knocked it off seat or just plain dropped it.

Very satisfied with ours.

My wife and I both have the Shoei RF1000 and have had no problems. You would think mine would as many times as I have knocked it off seat or just plain dropped it.Very satisfied with ours.

Uh...doesn't this cause some concern with the structual integraty of the helmet? I thought if you dropped your helmet on to any hard surface there was the chance of creating stress fractures that might not be noticed from the outside of the helmet. Thus when you really need the helmet to do it's job it cracks like an eggshell and your brains spill out...(Well, something like that....lol)

KM

My wife and I both have the Shoei RF1000 and have had no problems. You would think mine would as many times as I have knocked it off seat or just plain dropped it.Very satisfied with ours.

Uh...doesn't this cause some concern with the structual integraty of the helmet? I thought if you dropped your helmet on to any hard surface there was the chance of creating stress fractures that might not be noticed from the outside of the helmet. Thus when you really need the helmet to do it's job it cracks like an eggshell and your brains spill out...(Well, something like that....lol)

KM
If just dropping helmet once in a while causes structural stress on helmet everyone would be replacing their helmet at least every few months. If it got banged very hard as if fell off moving vehicle or from height other than seat heighth of bike I would be suspect and have it inspected.

But also, with as many brain cells I have killed over my 50 odd years not much would spill out if I did have a collision.

Tom

Unfortunately - I have a Shoei shaped head and have not been able to get comfortable in any other full face helmet. :(

I have been wearing a RF1000 for over a year and also have had problems with the fogging, but not with the leaking.

When I bought the FJR last week I also picked up a Multitec helmet with the pin-lock visor.

With the pin-lock visor in place, I have not been able to fog up the helmet. A little pricey, but well worth IMO. The pin-lock visors will fit the RF1000.

I will also say that when wearing the RF1000 and doing a shoulder check for traffic, my head would get snapped around. I don't have that problem with the Multitec - very smooth regardless of head position.