Shoes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farkles

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Ok new bike now buying apparel. Need shoes sneakers are not recommended.

I ride the bike every day for work. Not just to work but around the valley for work. Need something that I can walk around in all day with out feet hurting at the end of day and making me cripple.

Also jacket is on the list. Need one for the same thing. Not opposed to buying 2 of everything one for work one for touring.

Suggestion from the esteemed of this forum?

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Love this bike more and more.

I like the Milwaukee brand boots. surprisingly comfortable. slightly taller heel than I initially wanted but after wearing it for a while I really like heel hight. I think the boot is called "drag engineer"

Keone

I think most here would recommend boots actually. A shoe will not afford the same level of safety and protection. I don't think that I've ever seen anything here that would resemble a concensus as for a brand or anything, but only that they were designed for motorcycle riding. Not surprising considering the subjectiveness of footwear comfort. I, however, am unable to wear any of the motorcycle-specific boots that I have seen. This is due to a fairly narrow foot. I have yet to find a motorcycle boot made in narrow widths. I suppose one could try a ladies boot, as they are narrower, but then again, that would be gay so, no. Me and my skinny feet are left to compromise. The compromise I have chosen is Sexy-Boots-R-Us. I use the tall black one. They actually look much better than the picture and are top quality and can be worn ALL day in comfort.

My vote is for Oxtar boots....I have found them very comfortable & the design is such that you can walk around in them all day without a problem....unlike other boots that are great for riding but a killer when you try & walk around in them.....IMHO....

I bought a pair of these, Alpinestar Ridge Waterproofs, a couple years ago. Waterproof (proven), comfortable, warm (sometimes too, but part of waterproof I think) and affordable. They have also held up well, and have good ankle support, easy on-off, surprisingly good considering I just walked in, saw them, got them. I got them for $109.00.

244207_black.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a pair of shoes at work and change into them once I get there. I highly recommend taking that approach because then when you buy boots you're free to buy those that are best for riding, not working.

There are a bunch of great boots on the market these days. The basic features you want are ankle, toe, and heel protection. Get 'em high enough to cover at least the lower part of the shin. I strongly recommend boots with some kind of waterproof but breathable lining such as Gore-Tex or Hipora.

I wear Alpinestars Effex Gore-Tex and love 'em. I've been comfy in them both on and off the bike, in rain and sun, in temps from 32 to 90. The Oxtar Matrix is very similar in style and features, is worn by a lot of folks on the forum, and is often a little cheaper. In fact, if you wear a size 10, you can get Oxtar Matrix in the clearance section of motorcycle-superstore.com right now. Also check newenough.com and motorcyclecloseouts.com for good boot prices and good service.

The range of good jackets is even broader these days. Features you want: good armor and good abrasion resistance for both types of injury protection, a good full-sleeve liner for cold, a good venting system for heat. I'm on the low cost end of the jacket spectrum these days with a Tourmaster Transition from newenough.com. I'm amazed at how nice a jacket it is for the money. Popular brands around here are First Gear, Fieldsheer, Olympia, and ... well, lots of folks will chime in.

Get overpants for the commute so you can slap them on over your work pants. The First Gear HT Air are hot on this forum.

If money is no object, think about Aerostich for a one piece riding suit that slips easily over your work clothes.

Learning about gear options can be fun. Luckily, it's all a lot better than what we had available to us just 10 years ago.

I wear Bates Tactical duty boots. I got them at Dick's sporting goods for $69 on sale. They are very light weight yet are durable and don't look too bad for work. Most motorcycle specific boots don't really look like something you'd wear at the office. I spray them with silicon water-proofing once a year and they keep my feet dry when riding in the rain. The laces are only there to let you adjust the fit. Once adjusted you tie them off tight and use side zippers to get them on and off.

For SHOES, I just bought a pair of Itasca waterproof boots. They are like industrial strength over the ankle athletic shoes with a tactical type sole. Somewhat reinforced, but NOT anything like mission specific riding boots. Since I am not of the ATGATT persuasion, I find that wearing these boots is fine for ME when just bopping around. But I don't feel "secure" like I do when I gear up.

Most of the time I wear a pair of Teknic or Sidi boots. Go to NewEnough.com. They have great prices and lots of boots to chose from. Some of them are recommended for all day/walking/hiking wear. There are even some "shoes" available. They are a great source for anything MC gear. They have great real world product reviews and a really great return/exchange policy. Super folks to work with.

+1 on the Oxtars. I have had my retreaded twice cause I walk in them a lot. Comfortable and waterproof from day one.

Great lots of choices.

I just don't use the bike to go to work I use the bike for work.( I fix POS systems and drive around all day) Like the bates boots.

So I can get 2 pair one for touring and one for work as long as they have ankle support.

What about jackets same thing need one for around the area 30 mile radius and one for more longer rides.

Riding boots and work boots IMHO are two completely different animals.

The bike does come with cases, put the work boots in there and change when you get on site.

Chris

I love my Oxtar Matrix boots, but not sure how well they would pass as a stylish shoe....

I also bring my sneakers in the saddlebag when going to work, and just switch when I get there.

What others have said... Get boots, good-ens, toss some shoes in a side bag if need be.

I leave a pair at work, but I also have some 3/4 Sidi's that are very comfy something like these:

MVCAYENNE.jpg

No they don't provide the greatest protection but they are better than my work shoes or tennies... Some days I just wear those and they are good all day.

h_ln_black.jpg

I picked up a pair of these for warm weather, right after a lace loop caught on part of the bike, preventing me from getting my foot down. Fortunately, I didn't need it to keep the bike up at the time. They also look okay when wearing shorts, after my overpants are removed.

I've got a Tourmaster Flex Jacket, and I love it. I've been comfortable from the 30s into the 90s. The day I got my bike, I rode it 250 miles from Texarkana in 36° driving rain. I was miserable, but mostly because my hands and feet were soaked and unbearably cold. The jacket did pretty well.

Check out www.rideicon.com they have a couple pairs of boots/shoes that might do double duty.