short windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Greettings & Happy New Riding Season to all ! ! While sitting inside & thinking of nice sunny days,then looking at the snow outside (up here in N.Y.) I was wondering if anyone had had any success /or tried to cut down a stock windshield ? I'm thinking maybe 6-10" off,for those really hot 90 + days ? This would be instead of buying one of the aftermarket's. I'm Jones'n for a ride ! Sliick :rolleyes:

Hm......the search nazis arent very poignant today. What gives? I mean, geebus christos....the holidays are over.

Tried cutting down the stock shield on my 05 FJR last summer. It sucked. .. Noisy as hell. Oddly it's quieter with no shield at all.

Thanks so much for all your input. I haven't been on the site for awhile & thought a nice "Greeting" was in order.

If nothing else, we confirmed your theory and gave you plenty of background information. See what you miss when you don't visit often?!?!

I cut mine off last summer about one inch above the rear view mirrow height. Nice quiet, clean, cool air in the summer; I'm 6' 1". When the shield is raised all the way up it takes the wind blast off my chest with some turbulence at the top 1/3 of my helmet.

Cut one down to just above the "W". Works so well, it's the one I use 90% of the time. For cold and long distance, I put the largest Calsci on. The short one eliminates all buffeting and puts your helmet in clear air - much quieter. On the other hand, if you've been used to larger windscreens, hold on tight the first time you run it up to high figures.

The search feature here sucks.

The cut down windshield works great.

I'm 6'3" and I, too, prefer the cut down shield for the constant air stream it provides. Haven't yet found a tall windshield that doesn't yield either turbulence or back pressure or both. OTOH, the short screen is not fun in cold weather.

Cut one down to just above the "W". Works so well, it's the one I use 90% of the time. For cold and long distance, I put the largest Calsci on. The short one eliminates all buffeting and puts your helmet in clear air - much quieter. On the other hand, if you've been used to larger windscreens, hold on tight the first time you run it up to high figures.
Any pics of your cut-down shield on the bike, Dan? I'm figuring to go this route this summer.

Some times I wonder if my life will be in the search mode here. Only 172 pages to search thru, I should be done by....November this year...???

I want to do the same thing, cutting down my shield for summer. Last summer when I got my 2005, and did a run to the Sierras, I roasted my bumm off! Having a taller shield didn't help either, but I miss the wind at my chest and being able to open my jacket and get air flow down my suit. Whooo, that feels good.

I'll take your suggestions and photos to heart and slowly chop off an inch or two from the top and see how it performs. I understnd noise and wear ear plugs so that may not bother me as much, unless it's just crazy loud.

I'm looking for a used stock shield in OK condition to butcher up and a great condition tall shield to keep warm in winter. If that's possible in SoCal. I'm not sure we really have a "winter".

Some times I wonder if my life will be in the search mode here. Only 172 pages to search thru, I should be done by....November this year...???
I want to do the same thing, cutting down my shield for summer. Last summer when I got my 2005, and did a run to the Sierras, I roasted my bumm off! Having a taller shield didn't help either, but I miss the wind at my chest and being able to open my jacket and get air flow down my suit. Whooo, that feels good.

I'll take your suggestions and photos to heart and slowly chop off an inch or two from the top and see how it performs. I understnd noise and wear ear plugs so that may not bother me as much, unless it's just crazy loud.

I'm looking for a used stock shield in OK condition to butcher up and a great condition tall shield to keep warm in winter. If that's possible in SoCal. I'm not sure we really have a "winter".
I seriously doubt that going to a low shield will make it "crazy loud". I have ridden lots of bikes without windshields and smooth airflow over the helmet is not nearly as noisy as turbulent flow off a shield and faring.

...and then there are earplugs.