Shorter Kickstand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can source a shorter kickstand for the '05 FJR? I lowered my FJR last year and am very happy with those results except the bike leans much less when on the kickstand and I'm concerned an accidental bump is all it will need to go all the way over.

Anybody know where I can source a shorter kickstand for the '05 FJR? I lowered my FJR last year and am very happy with those results except the bike leans much less when on the kickstand and I'm concerned an accidental bump is all it will need to go all the way over.
How about just filing down the stop a little bit on your existing stand? Bet there's enough meat there to grind off and lean it a bit more.

79_T14.jpg

Never heard of a shoter kickstand available.

Me thinks

can21.jpg

then

plate.JPG

+

164795_lg.jpg

would be in your future.

Last edited by a moderator:
While at my dealer last weekend I saw an R-1 that had been lowered for a lady rider. Her solution was to heat and bend.

Very Basic: the kickstand is now slightly "S" shaped. They must have heated and bent the upper part forward and the lower "tapered" part downward. It looked pretty slick. The "Foot" still rested flat on the ground and when up, the kickstand rested against the kickstand stop.

I'd take a close look at your kickstand to see if that would work, then find someone with a cutting torch who could heat it up for you.

The other option would be to cut a section out and weld the stand together.

I lowered my bike a few weeks ago and just ground the kickstand stop a bit to allow it to swing forward further. Do a little at a time as it doesn't take much grinding to get alot of movement on the end of the foot...

Grinding sounds like the easiest of these options. I don't know anyone that can do any bending or welding for me....

Grinding sounds like the easiest of these options. I don't know anyone that can do any bending or welding for me....
Okay, Grasshopper, it appears you have diligently prepared yourself for this task. Now heed the words of the one who has gone before you (JoshHefnerX) and proceed with caution, not haste. Very little on the stop means quite a bit of swing on the kickstand.

You might even try a file on the stop. Its accesible right under the shifter, just don't file on the exhaust header.

Okay, Grasshopper, it appears you have diligently prepared yourself for this task. Now heed the words of the one who has gone before you (JoshHefnerX) and proceed with caution, not haste. Very little on the stop means quite a bit of swing on the kickstand.

You might even try a file on the stop. Its accesible right under the shifter, just don't file on the exhaust header.

Thank you, master... a file I will try.

Mogan,

My bike is lowered 1 inch & I filed the stop for the needed additional tilt. An added advatage of filing the stop to get additional swing is now you'll have a sidestand that won't raise until you raise it deliberately.

dobias :glare:

Yeeeeee Ha!

The grindamatic method worked GREAT! Just like new. No need for radical heating, bending, etc. There's something uniquely satisfying about solving problems with other vertically challenged FJR buddies...

Thanks!! :D :D :D

Yeeeeee Ha!
The grindamatic method worked GREAT! Just like new. No need for radical heating, bending, etc. There's something uniquely satisfying about solving problems with other vertically challenged FJR buddies...

Way cool...

But I guess my bike is even lower...my mech will not grind or file anymore than what he has...

He wants to heat and bend... :eek: (

I was wondering if any other bikes had the same but shorter kickstand...

He took off the center stand, so am kinda wondering how a heated kickstand would hold up...

Mary

Yeeeeee Ha!

Way cool...

But I guess my bike is even lower...my mech will not grind or file anymore than what he has...

He wants to heat and bend... :eek: (

I was wondering if any other bikes had the same but shorter kickstand...

He took off the center stand, so am kinda wondering how a heated kickstand would hold up...

Mary
I'm rather surprised grinding won't work. There's lots of room to take off additional material after I was done and my bike is about an inch lower--quite a bit! Maybe your guy just likes to torch things!?

Mary,

Don't let your mechanic torch your sidestand. The alternative to filing the stop is to space the sidestand away from it's mount with a few washers. This will allow a radical tilt to the bike & is reversible.

dobias :glare: