Should I consider mounting a 3D video camera to my bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I drove to Vegas this year to see the CES show and one of the coolest new items I saw (other than iPad tablet-mania and 3D TVs) was new 3D video and photo camera's that are going to be pretty affordable with some well under $250. I started reading more about this and asking questions as I think about ways I would like to document our ride this September 2011. We both were given 30-day off and we decided to ride through eastern Canada and the eastern US.

The questions I have are what would be the best way to document our trip? I was going to mount a small bullet cam and just shoot pictures when we are off the bike but these video cameras got me thinking. What if I mounted a 3D camera to the bike and recorded some of the better roads we plan on riding. Could we also use the camera to document some of the places we will be going to as well or would it be better to use a camera?

As far as I know I have not seen anyone mount a 3D video camera to their bike yet and when I spoke to the manufactures they stated I would need to keep the camera wide open (more light) to make best use of the technology. I also spoke to a company called Nady who said they would have a low cost audio solution (about $150) that would allow you to plug into the camera and narrate as you are riding.

I do not want to spend a ton and as nice as the GoPro HD and the Drift HD-170 camera's are I would like a nice video solution when I am not on the bike. These new crop of video camera coming to market have about the same form factor and much better options and quality but lack the water protection and durability. What are you thoughts from some of you who have done this before. Tried and true or try something new?

I assume you will have a device to watch the 3D video after you record it. Not many people interested in 3D television yet and my laptop wouldn't know what to do with it, so it won't be very useful if you plan to share the videos with others.

I assume you will have a device to watch the 3D video after you record it. Not many people interested in 3D television yet and my laptop wouldn't know what to do with it, so it won't be very useful if you plan to share the videos with others.
Not entirely true. YouTube and many others are getting set up to do 3D so you could see it on a regular monitor but with this video you would just need the glasses.

The new Sony 3D video camera I was using yesterday has a huge view finder that shows you depth (Looks like you are watcing 3D on a 2D screen) as you are recording the images. Watch this video to learn more.. LINK

Last edited by a moderator: