Side Case Protection in case of Tipover?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndaub

Reaction score
I have heard that sliders protect the fairing but the side cases still get scratched in a tipover. The Skyway man said that one can remove the reflectors and rotate them to reglue to the front of the side case where they hit in a tipover. Thinking about a simpler solution, I wondered if there is something one can stick to the front of the side case to protect the paint in case of a tipover. I scoured Pep Boys and the best thing I saw were some self-adhesive flexible reflectors (since the side cases are curved) but I was not sure if they would look good on the bike. This goes counter to some opinions that the bags are better off naked without the OEM reflectors.

Does anyone have any solutions to this that look good? Exactly where should the protectors be attached? Or should I never drop my FJR so that I do not have to worry about it? I only dropped my last bike once in 14 years but that is all it takes.

And yes I searched! I used the site search function which sucked giving hits having nothing to do with my search. I then used the guidance to go to Google and add site:fjrforum.com to the search which worked much better but did not answer my question.

Finally, I am listed as FNG which I dare not write what I think it means. When do I get FNG dropped so that I am not dogpiled?

Talked about here less then 2 months ago.
Yes, I read that thread when it happened. I was looking for a simple solution. I did not want to buy a machine shop, invent these guards described in the thread, get a US patent so that I could make back the money to pay for the machine shop, etc.

A more economical option then:

Bike_with_Training_Wheels.jpg

What about having a truck bedliner place color match the case lid and cover them? Thought about doing that on mine but haven't pursued it.

JW

Talked about here less then 2 months ago.
Yes, I read that thread when it happened. I was looking for a simple solution. I did not want to buy a machine shop, invent these guards described in the thread, get a US patent so that I could make back the money to pay for the machine shop, etc.

As the troublemaker that started that thread, I must mention that I have come up with a cheaper and somewhat easier fix. I have not built them yet, so have no photos, nor even another crude drawing.

But the idea is to use that little triangular area right behind the passenger peg, which you can see here:

https://tinyurl.com/2qah7p

And use that to remount a set of passenger pegs/floorboards. They will tie into the bolt above for strength, because the peg will not only no longer fold up, but will also have a section that stick out to the side more, enough hopefully to protect the bags in a tip over.

KM

Forget about protecting them. Just go ahead and buy the good stuff from Color Rite....

You'll never scratch em' then.

As the troublemaker that started that thread, I must mention that I have come up with a cheaper and somewhat easier fix. I have not built them yet, so have no photos, nor even another crude drawing.
But the idea is to use that little triangular area right behind the passenger peg......

And use that to remount a set of passenger pegs/floorboards. They will tie into the bolt above for strength, because the peg will not only no longer fold up, but will also have a section that stick out to the side more, enough hopefully to protect the bags in a tip over.

KM
Just be very careful. 1) You'd be amazed how close the panniers are to touching at extreme cornering. If the rear wheel were to lever off the ground, the results will be very bad!

2) In the event of a tip-over, you could change the geometry as to how far the bike is tipped and where the center-of-gravity changes to upright the machine. IOW, you could be creating a triangular base to overcome.

3) The footpeg mount isn't terribly strong to be taking the stress involved in supporting the weight of the FJR.

Still, kudos for thinking outside the box. Try it and let us know.

I have been checking around for a similar answer to the question, "How do I protect the luggage in a tipover?"

I purchased, but haven't yet used, some 3/4 inch black rubber side moulding (Pep Boys) and will let you know if I see it as a reasonable answer. In the same section they have sets of "Bumper Guards" that are rubber forms, much like the inset rubber teardrop shaped strip that are on the cases OEM... but these are self adhesive and are a bit thicker/denser. They might be a better solution since they are replaceable and they are already in an aerodynamic shape that won't look as 'rigged as the moulding idea. "bout $15... (or equal to one of my wife's lattes) so I might try those too.

Maybe something more fun would work. like the replacement sole from a Vibram boot glued to the case!! That'd look kickass.

Returning to sanity,out.

C

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOBILE TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts