Side Case Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windchaser1942

Reaction score
I am looking for a source that offers protection for the hard side cases in the event of a tipover. Although it hasn't happened yet, I am sure it is a matter of time before that ugly event occurs. Searching, Google, Yahoo and other devices I can't find anything. My search has also included the "Bin of Facts" and other "FJR help" sites. I may have overlooked a source on this forum but after looking for a resource for the past few months, I thought I would dare ask for assistance. As aways, thanks in advance to any one who might have some info on this topic.

I am looking for a source that offers protection for the hard side cases in the event of a tipover.
AFAIK....it doesn't exist. And, it would be butt-ugly with the sidecases removed (like I do when commuting).

There was an owner who was working on a framework, maybe a year ago, but I seem to remember the protection was minimal when leaving room for the side cases to open and it would be difficult to add anything to support the bike without interfering with the passenger leg room

Good luck.

I am looking for a source that offers protection for the hard side cases in the event of a tipover. Although it hasn't happened yet, I am sure it is a matter of time before that ugly event occurs. Searching, Google, Yahoo and other devices I can't find anything. My search has also included the "Bin of Facts" and other "FJR help" sites. I may have overlooked a source on this forum but after looking for a resource for the past few months, I thought I would dare ask for assistance. As aways, thanks in advance to any one who might have some info on this topic.
https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/category_s/622.htm

I can't speak to how good it is, but I saw it when looking for mounts. They basically make clear protective stickers for several pieces of the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a UK source that had a rear slider, they were expensive, and butt ugly.

Not as expensive as a new case, but way more than a Garauld paint job.

Colin's Dad made a very nice set of protective pieces that I saw at the 2007 CFR rally. I have no pics but maybe he'll jump in and send some.

Canadian FJR

I am looking for a source that offers protection for the hard side cases in the event of a tipover. Although it hasn't happened yet, I am sure it is a matter of time before that ugly event occurs.
Yes, that's a common misconception people have about the FJR's side cases. The side cases do not need protection, the are the protection! They act as frame sliders for the rear of the bike, albeit a tad on the expensive side. :)

Seriously, if I'm ever in a crash, I'd much rather have the cases on the bike, than off. And for the times I've dropped the bike from a stand still (3 times so far), well, battle scars are good conversation fodder.

I am looking for a source that offers protection for the hard side cases in the event of a tipover. Although it hasn't happened yet, I am sure it is a matter of time before that ugly event occurs.
Yes, that's a common misconception people have about the FJR's side cases. The side cases do not need protection, the are the protection! They act as frame sliders for the rear of the bike, albeit a tad on the expensive side. :)

Seriously, if I'm ever in a crash, I'd much rather have the cases on the bike, than off. And for the times I've dropped the bike from a stand still (3 times so far), well, battle scars are good conversation fodder.
True enough till you split traffic commuting. I whacked one of mine on a heavy rubber bus mudflap, the bike jumped a mile, and it nearly scared me to death.

True enough till you split traffic commuting. I whacked one of mine on a heavy rubber bus mudflap, the bike jumped a mile, and it nearly scared me to death.
Yea, that'll get your attention! I find that one of lane sharing's biggest challenges is accurately estimating gap widths as the available passage approaches the minimum - especially as everything always in motion and timing is everything. The job's slightly easier with the FZ1 mirrors. They are the widest part of the bike and kinda serve as cat whiskers in your peripheral vision.

Yea, that'll get your attention! I find that one of lane sharing's biggest challenges is accurately estimating gap widths as the available passage approaches the minimum - especially as everything always in motion and timing is everything. The job's slightly easier with the FZ1 mirrors. They are the widest part of the bike and kinda serve as cat whiskers in your peripheral vision.
Yep! Then again, I've had FZ-1 mirrors mounted for a loooong time. AND, I don't commute with my sidecases mounted because I know I'm going to do miles of lane splitting. My topcase holds all I need.