Sidecar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoundingAssphalt

Reaction score
Sidecar.jpg
[/img]Thought this looked cool. Might affect the cornering.

Sidecar.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
In this Forum, posts have to have at least some text before a picture link or the Forum will block the picture from being displayed.

Sidecar.jpg

Thought this looked cool. Might affect the cornering.
Ok you Dark Siders -- check out the car tire on the FRONT wheel. Got wood? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
In this Forum, posts have to have at least some text before a picture link or the Forum will block the picture from being displayed.

Sidecar.jpg

Ok you Dark Siders -- check out the car tire on the FRONT wheel. Got wood? :lol:
Thanks, Friggin computers. One of these days I will figure it out(probably not). Thanks for fixing it for me.

Sidecar.jpg

From the searches I have done on sidecars, it's not only a car tire up front - the whole front end has to be modified for the sidecar.

WTF? You have to get on the wrong side of the bike. Looks like a smooth unit though.

And yes...The pictures I have seen of FJR side car applications have a heavily modified front end to accomidate that front tire.

That is a British Merlin Super Sport so it goes on the anti-right side.

FJR-hack.jpg

Walther Stoye Sport

fjr1300-stoyesp.jpg

RDS

104504213-L.jpg

März Variablo

image16.jpg

IMG_2562_arnoud.jpg

RDS

P5030350-vi.jpg

Ruko Shark 2

IMG_0470-b.jpg

Ok, so who wants to ride in the side car besides your dog?

Did you notice that all but one of those has the FZ1 mirrors??

The front end modification of that Shark conversion must cost a fortune. WOW.

Can you remove the sidecar on any of these and ride it like a "motorcycle"?

From what I've seen, the sidecar mod is nearly the cost of a new FJR.... Why not just buy one for your passenger?

If I thought a sidecar would get my wife off my back, I would have gotten one years ago.

Oh - you mean the back of your bike. My bad.

Just curious, it's obvious that all these side car applications have extensive front end mods. But why? Is all that really necessary? I've seen other bikes with side cars and fairly stock looking front ends. Not that I'd ever care to own one... but was just wondering.

Gary

darksider #44

One of my neighbors has an old Harley with a sidecar and he can pop it on and off in a matter of 20 minutes or so and actually ride without it. From what I've seen, the modifications to the FJR are such that it won't work with out the sidecar attached.

The problem is the style of telescopic fork that the FJR has does not deal well with lateral force well at all. Which is why most, if not all fo these bikes have heavily modified front suspensions. Harley's especially those with 'springer' front ends handle the lateral forces much better. I am sort of surprised they (the H-D's) don't have to change the front to make it a trike.