Sidecase/Saddlebag alternatives?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettB

Reaction score
Mostly all I carry on my bike is my laptop, and actually, it doesn't fit in the Yammy case all that well, and I don't like the holding the laptop case while closing the case from the side, and working to make sure the shoulder strap is all tucked in and not interfering with the seal on the Yammy case. I've looked in envy at bikes with simple top opening side cases thinking how slick it would be to simply drop in the laptop in a side case. Also, I've often thought that the FJR has a much bigger butt then it needs.

I saw the cases below in a ride report and it got me thinking.... But what I really want is something that maintains the stock mounting points (I think anyways) but is 1) skinnier on the bike, 2) top-loading. These look like they might work, and certainly give the bike a sportier look. But I don't want straps across the passenger seat and I'm not sure if the straps could be placed under? I was worried that a softbag mounted there might sway into the rear tire, but I presume that's a silly worry since people use them... :p

I'd like to know if others have found any other alternatives...

DSC03761.jpg

Each person has their own needs for luggage. I'm always going on trips where I need storage space. Hard bags stay. Laptop fits in the Yammy top box, but I can tell you're not going there. You could get a low profile tail bag or top box perhaps. Or, leave the laptop at home which I do a lot too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many alternatives to keep the factory mounting system. There is a thread somewhere here concerning a narrower Europe only "City" saddlebag, but it's still a clam shell style case. Probably wouldn't hold a decent size laptop w/o the tilt allowed now.

Best bet would be to search the aftermarket and find a saddlebag / mounting that meets your requirements. Doesn't the *Motor Company* offer top loading bags...sumptin to consider. ;)

Good Luck!

--G

Givi makes a mounting system for the FJR and the E21 bags are offered in top opening. CalSporTouring $170 for a pair in flat black, but you would also need the FJR specific rack.

I just shipped off a set of GIVI E21's and some side loading E360's. The E21's were great for day to day riding needs. A little anemic for touring, though. The top-load feature REALLY is nicer than I thought it would be and I already miss them. I can't help other than a vote for the top-load but it's interesting to see there is a mount available. I'll have to look that up!

Mostly all I carry on my bike is my laptop, and actually, it doesn't fit in the Yammy case all that well, and I don't like the holding the laptop case while closing the case from the side, and working to make sure the shoulder strap is all tucked in and not interfering with the seal on the Yammy case. I've looked in envy at bikes with simple top opening side cases thinking how slick it would be to simply drop in the laptop in a side case. Also, I've often thought that the FJR has a much bigger butt then it needs.
I saw the cases below in a ride report and it got me thinking.... But what I really want is something that maintains the stock mounting points (I think anyways) but is 1) skinnier on the bike, 2) top-loading. These look like they might work, and certainly give the bike a sportier look. But I don't want straps across the passenger seat and I'm not sure if the straps could be placed under? I was worried that a softbag mounted there might sway into the rear tire, but I presume that's a silly worry since people use them... :p

I'd like to know if others have found any other alternatives...
How does that saying go, "Great minds think alike" :)

I too have never really liked how "fat" the Feej looks with the stock side cases, but put up with it while i living in a place where you weren't allowed to lane split (what a dumb-ass, retarded law that is...).

However with the impending move to Japan I looked for an alternative that still kept the bulk of the carry capacity but would not interfere with lane splitting. And paying a gazillion $ for the Yami city cases was out of the question too.

Here is what i came up with and am very happy with it, i am ok with just a black semi-gloss finish but you can get them painted too.

City Side Cases Project

I guess it depends on your laptop, but I believe they are less prone to damage if they are riding flat rather than bouncing around on edge in a side case. I carry mine in a Givi V46 top case and it works very well. The V46 provides enough space for all of the things that I like to have with me, like a few tools, spare gloves, tie downs, rain gear, etc. and I can leave the side bags home for commuting. If you don't like the Givi top box, some folks have fit a Pelican case as a laptop carrier in the top box position.