Sidestand Pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaw

Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum used the Aerostitch Carbon Fiber sidestand pads, and if so what is your evaluation of them? I have had the sidestand dig into the blacktop twice in the last 2 days where the FJR almost took a dive, and I'd like to prevent it from happening. I thougth Aerostitch's pad looked interesting as it is small enough to fit in your pocket along with being light.

I use a metal single-gang electric box cover. One withone a hole for an outlet or a switch, just the box cover. It's a great size, fits in the glove box and is under $1 at a hardware store.

I haven't used the Aerostitch pads, but pads of whatever kind are sometimes a must have item. I've used this one with good results and keep it in the fairing glove box "Lockit Kickstand Pads". I like the idea shown in the web page of attaching a coiled "reminder" cable to the pad. That way you won't drive off without it, and can retrieve it without bending over!

Of course, if I had thought of Woodstock's idea, I might well have considered that...

I read online about someone welding about a 1 3/4 x 2 1/4 x 3/16" thick steel pad to their sidestand. I don't remember the actual measurements. Sounded like a good idea so I did mine. Since it's welded on, even I haven't lost it......yet. Warning: do NOT center the pad on the sidestand foot; make it flush with the front of the sidestand when down, hanging out to the rear. Otherwise it will drag in the fun corners. That would include flush to the outside tip, hanging off the inside when down.

I positioned mine with the sidestand up, leaving as much cornering clearance as possible. Size is dictated by the clearance betweent the sidestand and muffler.

Edited: the pad is 2" x 2 3/4"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of the carbon fiber Aerostitch pads... it works fine. Keep it in the glovebox.

I read online about someone welding about a 1 3/4 x 2 1/4 x 3/16" thick steel pad to their sidestand. I don't remember the actual measurements. Sounded like a good idea so I did mine. Since it's welded on, even I haven't lost it......yet. Warning: do NOT center the pad on the sidestand foot; make it flush with the front of the sidestand when down, hanging out to the rear. Otherwise it will drag in the fun corners. That would include flush to the outside tip, hanging off the inside when down.
I positioned mine with the sidestand up, leaving as much cornering clearance as possible. Size is dictated by the clearance betweent the sidestand and muffler.
Pics?

I use a metal single-gang electric box cover. One withone a hole for an outlet or a switch, just the box cover. It's a great size, fits in the glove box and is under $1 at a hardware store.
+1 on the metal electric box cover...and the price is right. Works for me.

They were giving these away at Star Days a couple of years ago.

Yamaha Pad

I tie a cord to it and loop it over the throttle. Does not fit in the glovebox though.

I've also been known to use a smashed soda can.

When I rode a BMW I used one of these bolt on "Big Foot" plates. It worked perfect. You never had to worry about putting something down under your sidestand. There are a couple different companies that produce them, but so far it seems they only make them for BMW's. It is possible though that one of them might be close enough to the FJR to work, but at this point I do not know which one. The next time I am in the BMW shop I will do some comparing.

Shep

Bob's BMW

SideStandFoot.jpg

With a 650 pound touring bike why would would you care about saving 5 grams with a CF anything? Just skip a big mac and you are there.

I have the Yamaha side stand pad, fits perfect under the passenger seat secured by the rubberband thing under there.

I carry a couple of computer discs that I have messed up, light weight, disposable, priced right. Or you can use one of the AOL discs that keep showing up in the mail. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the metal electric box cover...and the price is right. Works for me.
What? Go over to the trash can that you just parked by, reach in, grab the first empty soda can and flatten it with your boot heel....

-The Cheap Bastard

Have used sodacans for years, nothing cheaper. Some times the ground is too soft to get off and leave [safely] on the side stand. Presuming you are alone and can't ask for help I have a few of those cheap plastic carpet protectors in my cubby hole. I concider them as disposable as you can't always retrieve them.

Howard

Lids off of jam pots are usefull and you can always leave them behind if you cant pick them up