silks unders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryt

Reaction score
Glove's and body suits for use under winter gear. My wifes cold with ALL the gear and its only in the high 40* She has been told by some saleman that silk will do the trick. Anyone try...experences.

thanks, cary

Glove's and body suits for use under winter gear. My wifes cold with ALL the gear and its only in the high 40* She has been told by some saleman that silk will do the trick. Anyone try...experences.thanks, cary
It's been some time since I had them, but I used to have a set. They do help, but aren't a substitute for heated gear. If she's cold at 40F, you need some electron help...

We run silk uppers and lowers year round. Works great, especially in summer when Underarmor is too warm. There are different weights on silk so do some research. ;)

We run silk uppers and lowers year round. Works great, especially in summer when Underarmor is too warm. There are different weights on silk so do some research. ;)
+1....the Highlander knows his silks :derisive: ....(say no more, say no more) :lol: .....

I use silk as a base layer when hunting and also when riding in cool/cold weather. Cabelas.com has two versions of silk (lightweight and woven heavyweight.) They also have a silk wook blend (80% silk, 20% wool)

I also use Ploypropolene long underwear if it's cold enough (also called polyolefin, same stuff).

Works well for me, but you still need to block that wind with some leather or other riding gear.

One other tip that seems to work well while hunting, though I never tried it yet on the bike. You know those heat wraps you can get for when your back is sore? Like a heating pad but without the cord... You can get them at Walgreens, Rite Aid etc. for about $3 bucks a piece. You can put those on your lower back when riding in cold weather which keeps your kidneys warm and thus helps to raise your core body temperature. Works very well out hunting and they last for 12 hours. Of course if you don't need them that long, put them back in a sealed plastic bag to turn off the oxygen activated chemical reaction and save the rest for later... Much cheaper than heated clothing if you are only going out for an occasional ride in the cold. Plus, you won't have to wire your bike up for that stuff.

I use silk as a base layer when hunting and also when riding in cool/cold weather. Cabelas.com has two versions of silk (lightweight and woven heavyweight.) They also have a silk wook blend (80% silk, 20% wool)
I also use Ploypropolene long underwear if it's cold enough (also called polyolefin, same stuff).

Works well for me, but you still need to block that wind with some leather or other riding gear.

One other tip that seems to work well while hunting, though I never tried it yet on the bike. You know those heat wraps you can get for when your back is sore? Like a heating pad but without the cord... You can get them at Walgreens, Rite Aid etc. for about $3 bucks a piece. You can put those on your lower back when riding in cold weather which keeps your kidneys warm and thus helps to raise your core body temperature. Works very well out hunting and they last for 12 hours. Of course if you don't need them that long, put them back in a sealed plastic bag to turn off the oxygen activated chemical reaction and save the rest for later... Much cheaper than heated clothing if you are only going out for an occasional ride in the cold. Plus, you won't have to wire your bike up for that stuff.

Thanks to all of ya and especially this info...great idea on the heat wraps :yahoo: . I don't wan't to go with heated gear since we don't ride that much when its cold...I'm at 5k+ ft and there is just to much risk of ice, snow and sand on our roads. We have good gear...Tourmaster, so the addition of the silks and the heat pad should do the trick.

Thanks, Cary

Cary