Silly Little Screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Folks- I have my rims dismantled for some powder coating I am having done. I'm about to put them back together and the three screws that hold the wheel sensor rotor onto the wheel (part #2) say they should be new when you put the assembly back together. Ok, fine I guess. But - I can't seem to find in any online part fiche - these three little screws so I can 'buy them new'. I guess my questions are:

1. Do these really need to be new (there is no real loads on the rotor - its just a magnetic ring)

2. Does anybody know the p/n for these things?

I suppose the screws come with the wheel sensor rotor, but I'm not able to find that in any part fiche either. :(

Thanks Mates!

536844638_vR63t-XL-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'll be the first on Friday...

There's nothing quite as nice as "a New Screw after a good Rim Job" :eek: :D :rolleyes: :coolsmiley02: :yahoo: :clapping:

I have perhaps been waiting my entire life for a set-up like that :dance:

it's a fastener with a torque spec. many such fasteners are designed to be a use-once app. with your wheels and brakes you don't want to be cutting costs.

Yea, kinda like what he ^^^^ said. It has to do with brakes, litigious society, legaleze, etc..... There are repair shops (automotive) who elect to skip offering to do brake work -- just too risky for some.

If MamaYama says to replace fasteners with new in their FSM -- it shows their attention/concern (to the judge/jury). :huh: :unsure:

You, of course, are free to do whatever you wish. :eek:

I'd replace em since Mama Yama says you should B)

Go to the dealer, they should be able to pull up the part on there system. Shouldn't be more than a buck or so a bolt. The fiches I've seen for both gen 1 and 2 don't show those bolts.

Well, I don't have ABS so I am not familiar with those screws or what they hold. If you do decide to replace them and you can't get them locally you might try this place.

OK I'll be the first on Friday...
There's nothing quite as nice as "a New Screw after a good Rim Job" :eek: :D :rolleyes: :coolsmiley02: :yahoo: :clapping:

I have perhaps been waiting my entire life for a set-up like that :dance:
Wow. I am humbled.

We need some kind of system whereby people can like, nominate a post like this for some kind of award...

Well... just got back from the dealer. Spent 45 minutes with the parts guy and he was stumped. The parts fiche does not list the sensor rotor nor the bloody screws -yet, Yamaha says to replace the screws with new ones! I've looked back at other year's FJR parts diagrams as well - and they all are missing this information. What we have hear is a fundamental conflict between the service manual and the parts information! Harumph!! :angry:

I'll probably just use the old screws. :eh-smiley:

Scott

Aren't they just totally ordinary screws? Just go to Home Depot or somesuch and buy them yourself. Since you have the old ones, you can bring one to Home Depot and use their guide thing to figure out the thread/pitch. (It will be metric of course.) The only question is what material they're made out of -- I'm guessing stainless steel? Ace Hardware sells lots of stainless-steel metric screws if there's one near you.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Many a time I have re-used various items that the SM has said to replace. If the parts look ok, well, then it's a personal decision. Just be careful.

Off the top of my head - I have re-used the coolant drain bolt washer, and brake caliper seals. I know there are a few more, those are just the one's I remember. No ill effects. So far.

It is interesting that hose parts can't be found anywhere. I would call Gary McCoy and MonDak Motorsports. If anybody can find the part number, he can.