silly question... numb butt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennFJR07

Reaction score
Have only put 1500 miles on new 07 FJR and love it. Isn't a major problem at all, but my butt goes numb and it is uncomfortable... but it doesn't pose an issue until at least 2 to 3 hours of riding. Used to riding an R6 where less weight is on the rear anyway. Enough about my A$$ for this post..haha any help would be appreciated as far as different after market seats, covers, riding positions.... i realize i may just need to toughin up and ride more to get conditioned... (did do 375 miles in one day... rode to Deals gap and back..haha, with a passenger)

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I would ride it a couple thousand miles before doing anything. If it doesn't get better get an aftermarket seat such as Bill or Rick Mayer, or Russel day long saddles.

multiple days 500 to 1100 miles....stock seat.....must be my baby butt.

Part of the problem may have been in having a passenger. Neither party seems to want to move around while they're on the bike, and butts go numb.

Many of us just "stand up" into a dirtbike position while we're riding. The FJR is perfectly configured for this maneuver, as all controls remain accessible from a standing position.

So, the free options are:

1) Move your butt(s).

2) Stand up every once in a while.

The other option is:

1) Open your wallet.

2) Take CC from your wallet.

3) Give CC numbers to a retailer.

4) Farkle.

YMMV

I had the same exact problem. Numb after an hour, painful after 2. Not wanting to spring for the good seats I just took the cover off and ground a "dished out area" for my butt so the weight would distribute beter and that made a huge improvement. I left about 1 inch of original foam height along the back and dished forward from there. Staple the cover back on and the cost is nothing. Probably not as good as a quality saddle but a huge improvement.

I think the stock seat breaks in and gets better with time and miles - mine certainly has. I have 5,000 miles on my stock seat and it feel much better now than when I first got her.

The first thing you have to do when riding long distanes is to not ride with your wallet in your back pocket. I found this to be a major factor in butt numbness.

The stock seat will break in after some time. Mine is perfect now after 34000 miles. I also found the wearing bicycle shorts under my riding pants also makes for a more comforable ride.

Tim

Tim's bicycle shorts idea is obviously endorsed by Iggy... and probably a few others in the Iron Butt Rally.

DSCN0080.jpg

I got the advice from a thread here last year.

Sounds silly at first but don't laugh until you try them.

I also use spandex swimming trunks from sports authority. They don't have padding but are smooth fitting. The trick is to not be sitting on seams.

They add many miles and hours of comfort.

And Cheryl thinks I look sexy in them!!! :D

Poor girl, I think she needs glasses.

Another good thing is on a hot day you could just strip down and hop right in the pool.

Tim

Part of the problem may have been in having a passenger. Neither party seems to want to move around while they're on the bike, and butts go numb.
Many of us just "stand up" into a dirtbike position while we're riding. The FJR is perfectly configured for this maneuver, as all controls remain accessible from a standing position.

So, the free options are:

1) Move your butt(s).

2) Stand up every once in a while.

The other option is:

1) Open your wallet.

2) Take CC from your wallet.

3) Give CC numbers to a retailer.

4) Farkle.

YMMV
There is no problem that can't be solved--or at least buried--by throwing gobs of cash at it.

I think the OP is right. For a nominal touring bike, the stock saddle sucks eggs. :thumbsdownsmileyanim: I haven't replaced mine yet with a Russell, but I'm going to eventually.

Rancho

Come to think of it, padding the stock saddle with gobs of cash might be cheaper than buying a Russell. :p

Russell Seat are the best! Custom fit and a$$ is not sore after iron butt rides.

I think the stock seat breaks in and gets better with time and miles - mine certainly has. I have 5,000 miles on my stock seat and it feel much better now than when I first got her.
Maybe the stocker gets somewhat better with miles, but I picked up my Rick Mayer at 13K and that seat has made my riding world a whole lot happier for the last couple of years and 35K more miles.

I too use bicycle shorts ...but I only recommend them for the short-term. IMHO, they are no replacement for a good aftermarket seat (which I have yet to get ... but is on the short list ... for my current FJR).