silly question... numb butt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what are some ballpark prices on these seats? someone mentioned custom fit... do i send an imprint of my arse to the company?

A numb butt is caused by poor blood circulation.
Get a sheepskin seat cover, you will get better blood circulation.
bachelorette-dot-com_1960_59825338.gif

I don't get it????

Where do you install this thing. It's not really that comfortable to sit on... And what is the hole in the rear for, glove box???

The custom seats start around $500.00. You can send in pics as requested form the seat guys or do a ride in.

I in the mean time I bought a airhawk and at $140.00 it allowed me to make it to WFO doing 600 mile days(but done at that point). It does work well.

Last edited by a moderator:
what are some ballpark prices on these seats? someone mentioned custom fit... do i send an imprint of my arse to the company?
The Russell will run you about $435 for the rider's seat only in vinyl, more for pillion seat done as well. If you wish, they will just recover the pillion seat to match for a reasonable cost, or you can have a full custom pillion seat done to fit your passenger.

Russell Cycle Products

That's a good representation of cost for a custom seat. You can easily spend upwards of $700 by adding options. Russell does outstanding mail in service. I have one, did mail order, immediatly did a SS3K after a 250 mile break in day and had zero butt burn. Many long days since and it's still as good as new after nearly 50k miles. Caution - This is not the seat for everyone. If you like to 'hang off' or move your butt around a lot, this seat is not well suited for that. It's often referred to as a 'tractor seat', but those farmers knew something when that was designed too. Russell believes a comfortable seat is one that holds your butt in one 'sweet' spot.

The process for a mail in custom seat is for you to sit on the bike with feet on the pegs and have a pic taken from the side. Then again with your feet on the floor. At the suggestion of Warchild, (A board moderator here with far more experince with custom seats than I), I added an additional pic from behind to show how my butt fit the back of the seat pan. This, combined with you telling them what you don't like, or what problems you have with the stock seat will allow them to do a great job of making you a custom seat. They know how to make a seat.

Other less expensive options are a Bead Rider seat cover, several of which are currently being used during the Iron Butt Rally. Also another seat bead product available from one of our own, Catfish, A.K.A. Farklemasters.com for a very reasonable price! (Click on the 'Seat Beads' link on the left boarder of the site.)

And then there is Sheepskin seat covers, which some swear by. Especially in the cooler weather. One of the nicest is from Alaska Leather

HTH

The Russell will run you about $435 for the rider's seat only in vinyl, more for pillion seat done as well. If you wish, they will just recover the pillion seat to match for a reasonable cost, or you can have a full custom pillion seat done to fit your passenger.

Russell Cycle Products

That's a good representation of cost for a custom seat. You can easily spend upwards of $700 by adding options. Russell does outstanding mail in service. I have one, did mail order, immediatly did a SS3K after a 250 mile break in day and had zero butt burn. Many long days since and it's still as good as new after nearly 50k miles. Caution - This is not the seat for everyone. If you like to 'hang off' or move your butt around a lot, this seat is not well suited for that. It's often referred to as a 'tractor seat', but those farmers knew something when that was designed too. Russell believes a comfortable seat is one that holds your butt in one 'sweet' spot.

The process for a mail in custom seat is for you to sit on the bike with feet on the pegs and have a pic taken from the side. Then again with your feet on the floor. At the suggestion of Warchild, (A board moderator here with far more experince with custom seats than I), I added an additional pic from behind to show how my butt fit the back of the seat pan. This, combined with you telling them what you don't like, or what problems you have with the stock seat will allow them to do a great job of making you a custom seat. They know how to make a seat.

Other less expensive options are a Bead Rider seat cover, several of which are currently being used during the Iron Butt Rally. Also another seat bead product available from one of our own, Catfish, A.K.A. Farklemasters.com for a very reasonable price! (Click on the 'Seat Beads' link on the left boarder of the site.)

And then there is Sheepskin seat covers, which some swear by. Especially in the cooler weather. One of the nicest is from Alaska Leather

HTH

wonderful forum yall got... been a member 1 day, and have had great responses... thanks a bunch... have another post about sliders vs highway pegs if you have a spare moment... again, thanks alot.

Matt

wonderful forum yall got... been a member 1 day, and have had great responses... thanks a bunch... have another post about sliders vs highway pegs if you have a spare moment... again, thanks alot.Matt
Don't forget to play with the Search feature some. It takes a little exploring and reading to better understand it's use and how to get the results you want, but it's worth it to learn. There is so much knowledge and info here from older posts that if you search, you'll often find the info you are looking for w/o even having to start a new thread. Some of the members are out on a little ride right now, or would be dogpiling about this issue. ;) Don't let it bother you if they do it later.

Another bonus of the search feature is you can learn what others liked, or didn't like about a particular product you're interested in as you narrow your search. Like starting with 'sliders' will get you a ton of hits. After reading some, you might be more interested in a particular brand for your own reasons, then searching on that gets you fewer hits with more specific info. Also learning how to more narrowly specify your searches saves a lot of grief too! Something I'm still working on. :D

Question....... Do you have to send your stock seat into Russell so that they can re-use the seat pan? Is there any way around this? I just can't afford to be without my seat for any period of time. I have tried to email Russell and they have not responded.

Thanks!

Question....... Do you have to send your stock seat into Russell so that they can re-use the seat pan? Is there any way around this? I just can't afford to be without my seat for any period of time. I have tried to email Russell and they have not responded.
Thanks!
Yes. And this is true of all the true custom seat makers. It is sometimes possible to score a good used seat on eBay so you don't have to be w/o while your custom seat is being done. Also, CALL and talk to whomever you want to do your seat. I had a rally coming up and had to have the seat back by a certain date. I called Russell and told them my situation and they checked their schedule and told me when to send the seat in for a minimum wait. I faxed the seat info and my order in ASAP and paid for the work, ensuring a spot on the schedule. Then I sent the seat in as directed and had it back in 10 days. This was during January. In Summer the ride in schedule takes a lot of their time and they are busy as well. Calling to check on how busy, and explain your time needs might find you a window when your wait will be a minimum one.

Here's another recommendation for a Russell Day-Long. We've got Russells on both my wife's FJR and my ZZR1200. Ride all day and not think about your butt at all.

Question....... Do you have to send your stock seat into Russell so that they can re-use the seat pan? Thanks!
They will need your seat pan. I did mine last winter. These people are busy. If you call them now you will probably be assigned a build date sometime this winter. Then you can UPS about a week in advance and keep your down time to a minimum. Last year I signed up for mine around christmas and my build date was late march. My seat was gone for under 2 weeks. It was well worth it. My ass thanks me every time I ride.

Dont try to get use to the stock seat and go with something custom. If your vertically challenged, go with a corbin. There about the only ones making a custom seat that will help in that department. I dont doubt that the other manufactures seats are as (or more) comfortable, but they will increase your seat height (while increasing your seat time).

GreyGoose

Russell's Day-long seat is a great way to solve any seat problem, however, I have to recommend both the Mayer Bros. as well.

Bill Mayer started making seats in the 70's and Russell bought the 'Day-Long' patent from him in the 80's. Bill then started on a new build, teaching both his sons the craft and after his death, his eldest Rocky took over the gig. The younger son Rick struck out on his own and also makes exceptional saddles. They are both about 450 for BOTH pilot and pillion custom fitting. A little less expensive than Russell.

I've briefly sat on both a Day Long and a Rocky Mayer seat and felt the day long was more 'arm-chair' cushy (very nice), while the Mayer was slightly stiffer, but I felt it had a better pocket and fit my posterior better. More tractor-seat.... if that makes any sense. I picked up a used Corbin Canyon at a steal and fits quite well,so I'm not in the market, but I have my stock pans set aside for someday when I'll definately be sending them to Rocky.

billmayersaddles.com (Rocky)

rickmayercycle.com (Rick)

Dear Admins,
Please re-title this thread "NWS -- Fat guy in banana hammock -- Proceed with caution!"

:crazy:

Try the $20 wood beads from Whitehorse Press. Cures numbbutt and Monkey Butt. Also keeps rain from gathering in the cheek area. I was lucky enough to get a Mayer seat on the bike when I bought it. Also, do some mild stretching before you get on the bike and every now and again put all your weight on the footbpegs for short periods.

Question....... Do you have to send your stock seat into Russell (snip)
Thanks!
Yes. And this is true of all the true custom seat makers. (good stuff snipped)
Actually, that's not true for the Rick Mayer saddle. He keeps a few seat pans in stock. If you want it built on one of his pans, he just asks you to send a separate deposit check to cover the cost of the pan. He doesn't cash that one. When your new saddle arrives, you ship your old one back within 30 days and he sends the deposit check back to you.

With the various discounts he offers, my solo saddle was in the $300 range. I forget exactly how much...

Ok, lets give Tennessee all the links.

I am putting these in descending order of quality based on my take on people's reviews of said seats:

Russell

Bill Mayer

Rick Mayer

Corbin

Sargeant Seats

In My opinion, and others will undoubtedly disagree with me as butts are VERY subjective in their opinions, not that I'm calling anyone an ass, the first two are about equal but something tells me Russell might have an edge. This might be the "seat is always more comfortable on the other guy's bike" syndrome as my Bill Mayer has been comfortable for 1000+ mile rides (although you shouldn't believe that I rode that far because I don't have a license plate holder that says I did).

I have owned a stock, a Corbin and a Bill Mayer. The Corbin was comfortable for twice as long as the stock. The Bill Mayer has never given me numb butt, or the like.

Ok, lets give Tennessee all the links.
This Tennessean offers this link: Alaska Leather.

FWIW, I use it w/the stock seat and have no issues doing extended miles for extended days. My general observation is that some of the aforementioned custom seats seemed to be preferred by those who, shall we say, bring their own padding to the custom seat party. Weighing around a buck 45, that's not my party... nor my seat preference.

AGirl