Skene Design Light Controller

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnww

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using a Skene Design Light Controller with my auxilliary lights. Does anyone have experience with this unit? If so, where did you find room to install the unit? Are you pleased with the product? Was it difficult to install? Any information will be most helpful.

I used the IQ-170-A. It is a small box and made the light installation very easy. It easily fits in your tool tray. Mine is fed from the eastern beaver box. How did it make it easy? No switches. The Skene controller turns your aux beams (at a predefined power level) on with the low beams. As soon as you flip the high beams on it bumps the power level to 100%. The neatest thing though is the alert feature. If you are approaching an intersection and you see a car that give you that strange feeling that they do not see you. All you have to do is flip your high beam switch twice. This puts your aux lights into a hyper flash mode. They go berserk for a couple of seconds. If the high beam flash didn't bring their attention to you the flicker definitely does. The power of the aux lights on low is adjustable in 10% increments. Mine are currently set to 40% and no one is flashing lights telling me to dial them down. I did a write up of the install on the board. Do a search for Mondo Moto lights.

I have the Skene P3 lights on both my FJR and my Hondapotamus. The P3 s use the same controller, which should speak to the size of the unit.

I can't comment on the use of the controller with existing or add-on lighting, but my experience with the controller & P3 lights should be similar:

I installed the unit under the rear seat. The unit is about one third the size of my iPhone.

The instructions are very clear and easy to follow, and all needed parts and connectors are supplied. Installation was simple!

I've had the unit in my Wingabago for 8+ years with no issues - works flawlessly. The unit in my FJR was installed in early July of this year.

I wouldn't own a bike without it. Period.

I have the Skene controller. IQ-170-A. Works like a charm. No issues, with the unit or installation.

They control my mirror mounted 3600 Lm LED lights. I have them set to OFF with low-beam and 100% with high-beam. I don't use them with low-beam because I have other conspicuity lights on the forks. I also hot-wired the alert feature to the bike's horn, so in addition to the alert triggering when I flip the high-lo beam twice, it also triggers when I blip the horn twice.

Have fun with it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Puppychow - can you shed some light on the horn activation of the alert trigger. I saw the wiring scheme for this but not being very familiar with wiring I steered clear.

Here you go. Caveat noted in the image..note that in my implementation, I have HID hi-lo beam lamps. The high beam wire shown in the diagram is actually controlling the solenoid which moves the bulb for high beam. I didn't mind that solenoid activating with the horn so I didn't bother to add any diodes or other crap..

https://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p318/skadeni/IMAG0230_1_1.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts